SU board plans to fire Nathan Haymer

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, folks who are placed in-charge of programs that generate a significant revenue should have a finance manager, especially art programs like marching band. I'm sure most band directors do some creative finances that could be in violation of school policies. Although done with good intentions, one can not deposit funds in some personal bank account in order to keep funds for band use only. I hope Haymer take a little time to understand the business side of marching band before he is placed in-charge of another program.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Damn, a Juke FINALLY figured it out, and dared to say it in public.
HOT diggity dog!!

Haymer was commingling funds in the marching band arena! Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time!
mod.gif

Actually, the first female to rejoin the Jukebox in many years was in the Fall of 1988 when Dr. Spikes became SU System President. It was also the same year Prairie View's current band director was a freshman in SU's band. There actually was a female that played the trombone in 1982 that met the physical requirements to march in the band, but supposedly for medical reasons she didn't get the chance to march. I believe she pledged TBS.

The first girl in the Band game in 1989 not 1988.. I was a crab in 88 and marched with PV band director at SU and Peabody

Just steamroll over the points I said. None of you talking knew Mr. Thornton or even know Prof Butler so I don't expect you all to understand. Is what it is. This was not a good hire. Jukebox don't respect anyone so why hire them? That's a slap on the face to your students.

Wait now. Butler and Doc Greggs were best buddies and Frat brothers. When I marched, TxSU and SU were close. We hung out together. Butler would bring them down early and vice versa when we went to Houston. It was never any animosity towards the Ocean. Mr Thornton sent many of his kids when he was an assistant at Forest Brook(My section leader being one of them) and as a Director at Willowridge to SU. He was also close with Doc Greggs and our program although my Frat was through and through a TxSU/Ocean alum. Butler would have never had a problem hiring a SU alum to work on his staff.

I don't think Haymer ever had anything against TxSU that I can recall. I thought him and the current Director were boys? Isn't that why he hired him as an arranger? Also I agree that the Ocean should have hired their own alum to run the band years ago. But you didn't do it after Prof Lee retired. This current guy is an Alcorn grad right? With no TxSU alum in sight on the staff? Now that means someone in TxSU administration is dropping the ball.

Most old school Jukes such as myself want the Ocean to go back to being the Prof Ben Butler Ocean of Soul. Can you get that lady announcer back from the 80s too?!! So there is no ill will or wanting to see Haymer take over the Ocean and turn them into a carbon of the Jukebox. I hate seeing bands now give up their historical sound and look over the years trying to be something they are not. Those bands know who they are. 70s and 80s send help. So I feel you on your Administration not hiring TxSU alums. But has anyone identified your best graduate out there who wants that job? One thing about SU. We keep our own in the pipeline and prepping for the next wave of Jukebox directors.

Wait now. Butler and Doc Greggs were best buddies and Frat brothers. When I marched, TxSU and SU were close. We hung out together. Butler would bring them down early and vice versa when we went to Houston. It was never any animosity towards the Ocean. Mr Thornton sent many of his kids when he was an assistant at Forest Brook(My section leader being one of them) and as a Director at Willowridge to SU. He was also close with Doc Greggs and our program although my Frat was through and through a TxSU/Ocean alum. Butler would have never had a problem hiring a SU alum to work on his staff.

I don't think Haymer ever had anything against TxSU that I can recall. I thought him and the current Director were boys? Isn't that why he hired him as an arranger? Also I agree that the Ocean should have hired their own alum to run the band years ago. But you didn't do it after Prof Lee retired. This current guy is an Alcorn grad right? With no TxSU alum in sight on the staff? Now that means someone in TxSU administration is dropping the ball.

Most old school Jukes such as myself want the Ocean to go back to being the Prof Ben Butler Ocean of Soul. Can you get that lady announcer back from the 80s too?!! So there is no ill will or wanting to see Haymer take over the Ocean and turn them into a carbon of the Jukebox. I hate seeing bands now give up their historical sound and look over the years trying to be something they are not. Those bands know who they are. 70s and 80s send help. So I feel you on your Administration not hiring TxSU alums. But has anyone identified your best graduate out there who wants that job? One thing about SU. We keep our own in the pipeline and prepping for the next wave of Jukebox directors.
Yeah, I was wondering whatever happened to her. I like when she said in that sexy voice....."Can you FEEL the motion of the ocean?"
Wonder what happened to that style Texas Southern used to have.
They do need to bring that back.

Reactions: JR
The only band to really copy SU’s style is Talladega, because they had no history before the New Orleans guy took over there...

I was just doing some research on Mr.Bonds to see where he graduated from & I came across a real interesting article about his past from something that happened in 2006!! Makes Haymer look like a saint if these allegations are true!

Yeah, I was wondering whatever happened to her. I like when she said in that sexy voice....."Can you FEEL the motion of the ocean?"
Wonder what happened to that style Texas Southern used to have.
They do need to bring that back.

She was a looker too JayRob!! I need ask my boys at TxSU where she is. She was one of the best announcers behind Dr. James back then.

The only band to really copy SU’s style is Talladega, because they had no history before the New Orleans guy took over there...

I was just doing some research on Mr.Bonds to see where he graduated from & I came across a real interesting article about his past from something that happened in 2006!! Makes Haymer look like a saint if these allegations are true!

That was discussed on here big time a few years back. Common knowledge he marched in the Jukebox and had some issues at Delaware State. A few threads have been made about that situation. I think even folks at Talledega had some issue in the beginning on how he was hired. I think they are okay now. LOL.

That was discussed on here big time a few years back. Common knowledge he marched in the Jukebox and had some issues at Delaware State. A few threads have been made about that situation. I think even folks at Talledega had some issue in the beginning on how he was hired. I think they are okay now. LOL.

Ah ok cool. Didn’t want to post the article, & leave the past in the past.

So he was the reason DSU was SU influenced a few years ago! Interesting.

He sure knows how to build a program, I’ll give him that.

But back on topic...if TxSU can get Haymer & about 30 more trumpets, they might challenge SU lol

Ah ok cool. Didn’t want to post the article, & leave the past in the past.

So he was the reason DSU was SU influenced a few years ago! Interesting.

He sure knows how to build a program, I’ll give him that.

But back on topic...if TxSU can get Haymer & about 30 more trumpets, they might challenge SU lol

Actually he wasn't the first SU director at DSU. Randolph "Ricky" Johnson (SU Alum/ 70's Jukebox member), the younger brother of Roy Johnson who was my Associate Director when I marched in the Jukebox was the Head director at DSU as well. He actually had to come back to DSU to clean up the mess after all that happened with ole boy. Ricky did two stints at DSU in between his time at Alcorn as an assistant.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
The first girl in the Band game in 1989 not 1988.. I was a crab in 88 and marched with PV band director at SU and Peabody

Thanks!!! But after my time, so I wasn't really sure. I just know that Dr. Spikes was determined to see females back in the marching band. A lot of current band members then were quite upset with her. I graduated in the second class under Dr. Spikes as president in the Spring of 1989. Her first class was the Fall of 1988.

Thanks!!! But after my time, so I wasn't really sure. I just know that Dr. Spikes was determined to see females back in the marching band. A lot of current band members then were quite upset with her. I graduated in the second class under Dr. Spikes as president in the Spring of 1989. Her first class was the Fall of 1988.
I know when you graduated, where you were born, your entire family tree, and what fraternity you belong to. You see my brother we were raised together. This is your brother if you haven't figured it out yet (BKC)

I know when you graduated, where you were born, your entire family tree, and what fraternity you belong to. You see my brother we were raised together. This is your brother if you haven't figured it out yet (BKC)

I know. LOL!!!

This Haymer dude was stealing left and right from the school he claimed to love. He stole from band members and alumni as well. Then on top of all the evidence, not one time has he issued an apology for his wrongdoings.
And some folks protested his termination??!!

--Nathan Haymer used an unauthorized third party to collect public funds due to the school and then kept more than $293,000 in possible violation of state and federal laws.

--The report also says Haymer appears to have submitted false invoices to obtain reimbursement for expenses he did not incur.

--$300,000 in band camp and other fees were in Haymer's personal bank accounts.

--The former band director has denied any wrongdoing.

Don't say that too loud cause some of your fellow Jags gone disown you. AKA JAG89, psychoticjag, dezjaguar, JR and others.

Eh ... we still gonna be cool.

Dude (technically) got away with stealing funds at Washington-Marion HS before coming to Southern, ascended to the director position (his self-proclaimed dream job) without having proper credentials to each university level courses at the time AND getting a pay raise on the backs of students ... only to pull this crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back