2019 Track & Field Season

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
The 1989 Flying Tigers of Texas Southern was the last HBCU that placed in the top 10 of the national championship meet:

Women's standings
RankTeamPoints
1st, gold medalist(s)
LSU
2nd, silver medalist(s)
UCLA
3rd, bronze medalist(s)
USC

The 1989 Flying Tigers of Texas Southern was the last HBCU that placed in the top 10 of the national championship meet:

Women's standings
RankTeamPoints
1st, gold medalist(s)
LSU
2nd, silver medalist(s)
UCLA
3rd, bronze medalist(s)
USC

I was at that meet. Probably the most enjoyable NCAAs I have ever attended. TSU gave me a lot to cheer for. Especially seeing the women win the 4x1 and Maria Usifo winning the women 400m hurdles. They should have won the women's 4x4 too, but I won't go into that. :mad:

I was at that meet. Probably the most enjoyable NCAAs I have ever attended. TSU gave me a lot to cheer for. Especially seeing the women win the 4x1 and Maria Usifo winning the women 400m hurdles. They should have won the women's 4x4 too, but I won't go into that. :mad:

OOPS!! I owe yall an apology. I have made a horrible mistake. What I said above, happened in 1986 not 1989. In 1986 the TSU women finished 3rd in the nation. Sorry. :sad: C-LeB is correct about 1989.

Ain't that the truth!!!!!

They take care of him but also A&T hosts some of the largest meets for youth yearly so you have elite level athletes on your campus. He has ample staff also.

Him getting his son to stay was huge as you don’t see that on our level - especially if the kid is a legit star.

A&T has taken full advantage of their popularity with their success this year.

Great job A&T! Like any sport, good nutrition, effort and good coaching can get you there. Talent is a smaller piece of the pie if you work at it.

They take care of him but also A&T hosts some of the largest meets for youth yearly so you have elite level athletes on your campus. He has ample staff also.

Him getting his son to stay was huge as you don’t see that on our level - especially if the kid is a legit star.

A&T has taken full advantage of their popularity with their success this year.
Yea I was saying that yesterday. A&T has a blue print for us to follow. Invest in your facilities, host youth events, and invest in your staff. I remember a time in the 80’s when SU hosted a lot of those youth national track meets.

OOPS!! I owe yall an apology. I have made a horrible mistake. What I said above, happened in 1986 not 1989. In 1986 the TSU women finished 3rd in the nation. Sorry. :sad: C-LeB is correct about 1989.

1986 NCAA Division I Outdoor Women's standings
RankTeamPoints
1st, gold medalist(s)
2nd, silver medalist(s)
3rd, bronze medalist(s)

Back