TWO HBCU bands in the Rose Parade

It’s been played at FAMU for as long as I can remember...the fans love it. It’s doesn’t have the exact feel of say a Louisiana band, but it does the job for the FAMU fans.
I already know y'all band going to play it at halftime and try to mock our band....... lol

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
You must be a youngster, because FAMU started playing it after hearing SU playing it. It was one of SU's signature songs exiting the field in the 80's and 90's.

Yes...I was born in the 80s lol

Venom Skywalker is way more knowledgeable than I am on the subject. All I know, is that it’s been a fan favorite for a long time now...and it’s not a FAMU home game unless the 100 the plays it. Lol

So student arrangers can't arrange songs for bands to play now?

I'm not sure since it was long after my time, I do believe Haymer arranged a few pieces when he was a student. I'm sure JR would know better than I.

I'm not sure since it was long after my time, I do believe Haymer arranged a few pieces when he was a student. I'm sure JR would know better than I.

I arranged when i was a student and I wasn't even a music major. I knew enough to do it from knowing my music, scales, chords, rhythms and having a ear for what instruments should play what parts.

I thought all bands had student arrangers to assist and they would have had to do this in some of their music theory classes.

I arranged when i was a student and I wasn't even a music major. I knew enough to do it from knowing my music, scales, chords, rhythms and having a ear for what instruments should play what parts.

I thought all bands had student arrangers to assist and they would have had to do this in some of their music theory classes.

As an engineer student and a former member of the Human Jukebox, I actually wrote a program in my HP 48GX scientific calculator to beep out SU's fight song. In the calculator, I could actually program the tempo, the key, and the number of times to repeat the song before ending it. It helped me understand the importance of music appreciation where science and art are brought together. HP 48GX calculators had a beep function which one could control the frequency of a beep, the time duration, and a wait function with a time duration as a rest. All one needs to know is the vibration frequency of every musical note which you can google. And if you need to take a song up an octave, just multiply the vibration frequencies by 2, such as the musical note A - 440Hz becomes A - 880Hz in a higher octave.
images
images

Last edited:
Ok, so a student arranger arranged the song for FAMU's band.

I assume ( yes I know what that means lol) that a New Orleans kid arranged that song for FAMU. They had an influx of band members from New Orleans at the end of the 80s, early 90s. I know a few who went to 35 that went there.

You are right Frat. My crab brother and our newly made Frat Brother Ralph Chapman at PV was a student arranger at SU. Kelvin Washington now the Head Assistant at Howard was a Grad Student arranger my crab year at SU. Brian Simmons at SU now obviously was arranging when he was marching and went straight to being an assistant. We always had folks who could arrange some tunes that were marching. My Line Brother arranged a cut. So did another one of our Frat brothers who had transferred from JSU to SU in 86.

I assume ( yes I know what that means lol) that a New Orleans kid arranged that song for FAMU. They had an influx of band members from New Orleans at the end of the 80s, early 90s. I know a few who went to 35 that went there.

His initial post sounded like a FAMU student was the first person to write the song instead of arranging the song for FAMU's band. Do Whatcha Wanna and It Ain't My Fault have been chants New Orleans folks have been saying for years. Rebirth Brass Band took the Do Whatcha Wanna chant and made it famous in a second line song and not some student arranger.

Last edited:

The person that arranged it is from S. Florida

The person that arranged it is from S. Florida

One thing for sure, FAMU's version has less of a brass band feel, but each its own. I'm sure folks from FAMU prefer the symphony version versus the brass band version that SU plays. Songs like Do Whatch Wanna and Let Your Mind Be Free by The Soul Rebel Brass Band are like the new type of brass band music and songs like Bourbon Street Parade, South Rampart Street Parade, and Basin Street Blues are like the old versions of brass band music. The Human Jukebox has always played both versions. When I marched in the band, some of the first sheet music we learned were New Orleans brass band songs. Noticed that most of the old songs are named after streets in New Orleans. I'm sure Clinton was very familar with that song since he spent a great deal of his childhood in Louisiana and New Orleans. I've even heard a brass bands in New Orleans copy some of SU songs, such as Snoop Doggs 'Those Gurlz'.

Bourbon Street Parade:

SU -Those Gurlz:

Fast forward to the 2:15 minute mark:

Last edited:
Basically, SU is that college band that has always played New Orleans brass band music on a regular.

Back