Jackson State University Sonic Boom of the South (2016-2017)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Things have changed I see.

Yeah it's sad man. Chargettes definitely aint up to the same standards we had in the 80s for sure. I don't like all that trying to be like college dance teams in High School. Especially all that nasty style dancing. The band has been on a decline after Mr. Mitchell retired. Just at the time C'way football has improved again. Can't we get both at the same time. LOL. I know it is talented JSU grads running around that could lead the band program better than it's being now.

All the high marching bands in Jackson are sub-par, they all lack leadership, discipline and community support.

I heard Murrah was okay. But I guess I am thinking in the mindset of the old days when JPS was in better shape in those glory years we were in school.

Yeah it's sad man. Chargettes definitely aint up to the same standards we had in the 80s for sure. I don't like all that trying to be like college dance teams in High School. Especially all that nasty style dancing. The band has been on a decline after Mr. Mitchell retired. Just at the time C'way football has improved again. Can't we get both at the same time. LOL. I know it is talented JSU grads running around that could lead the band program better than it's being now.

This tells you how old I am...lol. The only memories I have of a Chargette performance was them standing straight up and kicking...seemed like they were all six feet tall too with them majorette boots. Maybe they did some dancing and I just forgot about it.

I guess all the dance teams in Jackson are imitating the J-settes. The old Chargettes were probably imitating Ole Miss back in the day. Interesting.

This tells you how old I am...lol. The only memories I have of a Chargette performance was them standing straight up and kicking...seemed like they were all six feet tall too with them majorette boots. Maybe they did some dancing and I just forgot about it.

I guess all the dance teams in Jackson are imitating the J-settes. The old Chargettes were probably imitating Ole Miss back in the day. Interesting.

The early Chargettes squads were mostly pretty white girls with long pony tails, boy did they go downhill fast. :(

LOL. We did have some tall gals

I was at C'way from 81 to 84. We had a good mix of pretty sisters and white girls. Still remember playing the intro to EWF's September for them to enter the field. But our versions of the Chargettes did great routines. It was 3 great dance teams during our HS era in JPS. It was the Chargettes, the Murrah Misses and then the Tigerettes from Jim Hill. The only school that had their girls dance like JSU was Lanier. Them girls were fine. Some went on to be Golden Girls at Alcorn. I know Venus Lewis did. And the McGee twins ended up being J-settes. We had a few Chargettes to become J-settes. Hell we had a couple of our Flag Girls to become J-settes. Back then C'way had some nice looking ladies across the board. LOL.

Now the interesting thing is our Drill team at Brinkley Jr High back from 78-81 when I in the band was cold! Them girls were ahead of their time for being in Middle school. LOL. Former J-sette was over them. The good ole days

LOL. We did have some tall gals

I was at C'way from 81 to 84. We had a good mix of pretty sisters and white girls. Still remember playing the intro to EWF's September for them to enter the field. But our versions of the Chargettes did great routines. It was 3 great dance teams during our HS era in JPS. It was the Chargettes, the Murrah Misses and then the Tigerettes from Jim Hill. The only school that had their girls dance like JSU was Lanier. Them girls were fine. Some went on to be Golden Girls at Alcorn. I know Venus Lewis did. And the McGee twins ended up being J-settes. We had a few Chargettes to become J-settes. Hell we had a couple of our Flag Girls to become J-settes. Back then C'way had some nice looking ladies across the board. LOL.

Now the interesting thing is our Drill team at Brinkley Jr High back from 78-81 when I in the band was cold! Them girls were ahead of their time for being in Middle school. LOL. Former J-sette was over them. The good ole days

Not true! In the early 1980's, the Tigerettes danced more like the J-Settes and they were the best, when Larry Thurman was the sponsor. The Lanier Rangerettes danced more like the Alcorn Golden Girls, get it right or leave it alone!
sbed_sign_goodnite_100-100.gif

Last edited:
Not true! In the early 1980's, the Tigerettes danced more like the J-Settes and they were the best, when Larry Thurman was the sponsor. The Lanier Rangerettes danced more like the Alcorn Golden Girls, get it right or leave it alone!
sbed_sign_goodnite_100-100.gif

Dude, sit down somewhere. I was in school then. Jim Hill girls didn't dance like the J-settes. LOL. Thigpen (Band Director) didn't allow all of that. Now they were good looking. You just like to contradict me on every damn post I make. Be gone somewhere. And Lanier was the closest to dancing more HBCU like than any school back then. Period.

All the high marching bands in Jackson are sub-par, they all lack leadership, discipline and community support.
And that because the district itself has hit rock bottom. Murrah, callaway and Jim him were once the icon of JPS bands but I'm not getting much from any of those anymore except for maybe Jim hill. Rodrick Little had Lanier on the rise while he was there but that ship as come and gone.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Whoever thought the sonic boom of the South would ever be as big at the old FAMU. Lmao. Check ur listing, coming soon...

Back