Tony Hughes sets new recruiting standard at JSU

JSUDMJ2004

JSU enuff said!
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...es-sets-new-standard-jsu-recruiting/79025228/

Tony Hughes knows a thing or two when it comes to planning on-campus weekends for prospects. During his first slate of official visits at Jackson State, the Tigers' coach capitalized on years of experience and rolled out the red carpet for the 20 recruits JSU hosted this past weekend.

Jackson State used the format for the weekend that Hughes had at Mississippi State when he served as the Bulldogs' associate head coach and recruiting coordinator for seven years.

Recruits were greeted with snack baskets and a handwritten note from the head coach when they checked into their hotel rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn located in downtown Jackson. A cushy bus fashioned with televisions took recruits and coaches to dinner one night at Crazy Ninja, a local hibachi restaurant, where the players were able to socialize with each other and get to know the staff further. Saturday featured campus tours, in-depth meetings about academics, a basketball game and a visit to the stadium.

How come I just knew someone was gone post this. Lol. But in the mean time, that got damn Tony THEE Tiger. I'm loving the party bus they rode around on.

Tony can bring in the recruits but may have a more difficult time than Hopson.

The Elephant in the Room no one wants to talk about when it comes to Mississippi recruiting is that USM was mostly down when Hopson first got to Alcorn. Now USM has rebuilt itself.

Tony will need time to rebuild JSU.

Tony can bring in the recruits but may have a more difficult time than Hopson.

The Elephant in the Room no one wants to talk about when it comes to Mississippi recruiting is that USM was mostly down when Hopson first got to Alcorn. Now USM has rebuilt itself.

Tony will need time to rebuild JSU.

OMG, who knew. You're amazing BH. Thank you for your service.

We wouldn't be getting a lot of these players with the last staff. Idk that we've ever went all out for recruits like this.. one more visit during the 22nd hosting 25 recruits and we'll wrap up the visits.

If the previous staff wasn't already doing this they were more inept than I thought.

Last edited:

Why are we so negative when our fellow HBCU's are trying to do something positive?

That's how us KneeGrows roll. Have you not paid attention to how bad we get slammed saying anything positive about PV. Even now that we have demolished our 150 year old stadium and trying to build something decent for our/your teams to play in, people on this board have had mostly negative things to say about it. Even as our team improves which does nothing but improve the conference as a while as our opponents and ourselves get stronger, all we hear is how we will implode at any point and become a cellar dweller, of course I want our team to win but at the same time I don't want to be in a conference with a bunch of cellar dwellers, what does that do for anybody.

crab-mentality-in-the-Philippines.jpg

OMG, who knew. You're amazing BH. Thank you for your service.

JSU tends to be very impatient when coaches are trying to establish their version of the Program. Tony loves football and is a great Coach. Treat him well and you will have a dynasty. Treat him like shit and JSU may never recover. But JSU will have to give Tony time. Tony can rebuild JSU the right way.

That's how us KneeGrows roll. Have you not paid attention to how bad we get slammed saying anything positive about PV. Even now that we have demolished our 150 year old stadium and trying to build something decent for our/your teams to play in, people on this board have had mostly negative things to say about it. Even as our team improves which does nothing but improve the conference as a while as our opponents and ourselves get stronger, all we hear is how we will implode at any point and become a cellar dweller, of course I want our team to win but at the same time I don't want to be in a conference with a bunch of cellar dwellers, what does that do for anybody.

crab-mentality-in-the-Philippines.jpg
Other than BH who was negative? There are more posts asking "why" negative than there are negative posts.

LMAO at rebuild. This is the SWAC not the SEC. Tony's arse aint no different from any other coach. Either he wins or he will be shown the door just like anybody else, it's just business. The administration and fans are fully behind him and the staff. He knows what kind of job he took when he became head coach. Kill that rebuild crap we are not that far gone.

LMAO at rebuild. This is the SWAC not the SEC. Tony's arse aint no different from any other coach. Either he wins or he will be shown the door just like anybody else, it's just business. The administration and fans are fully behind him and the staff. He knows what kind of job he took when he became head coach. Kill that rebuild crap we are not that far gone.

JSU is rebuilding. Some structures need to be rebuilt to be stronger for the Long Term. Tony knows what he is doing. Let him run HIS PROGRAM and JSU will be back winning.

JSU is rebuilding. Some structures need to be rebuilt to be stronger for the Long Term. Tony knows what he is doing. Let him run HIS PROGRAM and JSU will be back winning.

Who's stopping Tony from running HIS PROGRAM? Who said Tony didn't know what he was doing? Are you having a Q and A with yourself and answering your own questions because nobody said any of that.

Right..had we hired any coach not from the SEC (like Mack, Bway etc) i doubt these articles would have ever been written. But I'll take the positive press while it last. I think we will bring in a pretty decent class this year.
Decent isn't the word

Back