Your punishment no sports for 5 years

skyvolt2000

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/football/news/story?id=4484288

Dwayne "Deejay" Hunter, 19, was sentenced Thursday to 180 days in jail, 500 hours of community service and five years of probation. Among terms of his probation, Hunter cannot play organized sports -- not even intramurals.

"We're going to see who Dwayne Hunter the person is, not who Dwayne Hunter the star athlete is," Butler County Common Pleas Judge Andrew Nastoff said, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. "You're 19 years old. And you are standing right here, six inches away from a prison number and the potential to go away to prison for eight years -- that's two presidential terms."

The former Middletown High School football and track star pleaded guilty in July to felonious assault for shooting a 15-year-old boy twice in the face with a BB gun. Hunter fired the gun from a vehicle, with one projectile striking the victim's eyelid, according to the Enquirer.

"Virtually every Division I school was interested in him," Hunter's attorney, Frank Schiavone, told the Enquirer.

And he threw that away to shot someone with a BB Gun.
I winder how many folks will scream that's not fair considering what others have done.

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/football/news/story?id=4484288

And he threw that away to shot someone with a BB Gun.
I winder how many folks will scream that's not fair considering what others have done.

I can't read the article at work. But was he trying to shoot the kid or was did he just shoot it at something else and hit the kid?

Regardless, I think the judge went overboard with the probation on not playing organized sports. If this allows the kid to go to college to further his education to become a productive citizen then why take it away from him if you truly want him to rehabilitate. I mean he didn't rob or kill anybody. Albeit he could have seriously hurt the kid shooting that bb gun. This seems a little extreme. Give him the 180 days and community service. But do not take his opportunity to go to college on athletic scholly away. It may be the only thing that saves him. Now the kid may not be able to go to school and find himself back in the system. Normally I do not take the sides of these athletes who do wrong. But unless he had a long history of wrong doing. I think he should at least get a chance to go back his athletics.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Uhhhh...this mofo, Dwayne "Deejay" Hunter, sounds CRAZY!!!! :retard:

this is from a Dayton, OH newspaper dated May 11, 2009...
http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayt...e-arrested-on-new-assault-charges-115531.html

MIDDLETOWN — A standout Middie athlete is in trouble again after a female classmate accused him of assaulting and holding her against her will inside a hotel room, police said.

Dwayne “DeeJayâ€￾ Hunter Jr., 18, was arrested at Middletown High School today, May 11, according to police.

He was charged with assault and unlawful restraint after a 17-year-old girl said he choked and slammed her against a wall Saturday, May 9, at the Middletown Ramada Inn, according to authorities.

The girl, whom police said had a restraining order against Hunter, was encouraged by friends to tell her mother, who called police today.

The alleged victim is the same female who Hunter was found guilty in juvenile court of assaulting this past summer, according to police.

Hunter is awaiting trial for felonious assault charges stemming from a Jan. 12 shooting in which he allegedly shot a 15-year-old boy in the face with a BB gun. He could receive up to eight years in prison if found guilty of the second-degree felony.

Uhhhh...this mofo, Dwayne "Deejay" Hunter, sounds CRAZY!!!! :retard:

this is from a Dayton, OH newspaper dated May 11, 2009...
http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayt...e-arrested-on-new-assault-charges-115531.html

MIDDLETOWN — A standout Middie athlete is in trouble again after a female classmate accused him of assaulting and holding her against her will inside a hotel room, police said.

Dwayne “DeeJayâ€￾ Hunter Jr., 18, was arrested at Middletown High School today, May 11, according to police.

He was charged with assault and unlawful restraint after a 17-year-old girl said he choked and slammed her against a wall Saturday, May 9, at the Middletown Ramada Inn, according to authorities.

The girl, whom police said had a restraining order against Hunter, was encouraged by friends to tell her mother, who called police today.

The alleged victim is the same female who Hunter was found guilty in juvenile court of assaulting this past summer, according to police.

Hunter is awaiting trial for felonious assault charges stemming from a Jan. 12 shooting in which he allegedly shot a 15-year-old boy in the face with a BB gun. He could receive up to eight years in prison if found guilty of the second-degree felony.

Well that answers my question. Seems like he has a pattern of violence. So maybe the Judge was not harsh at all.

Okay...so I really wanted some clarity as to why the judge said "no sports"...here's his reasoning...

http://sentencing.typepad.com/sentencing_law_and_policy/
Nastoff said the list of college scholarships meant nothing to him. "Do you know what I care about? How are you going to live - are you going to shoot people in the face?" Nastoff said.

Nastoff told Hunter he detected a possible "seed of empathy" because, among about a half-dozen speeches in court Thursday, "you were the only one that talked about what happened to the victim." Nastoff said the sentence was crafted to force Hunter to learn vital life lessons. "Find out who you really are without this whole aura of the athletics around you, because quite frankly in some ways it's made you a Frankenstein monster. It's made you think you're owed certain things," Nastoff said.

Okay...so I really wanted some clarity as to why the judge said "no sports"...here's his reasoning...

Nastoff said the list of college scholarships meant nothing to him. "Do you know what I care about? How are you going to live - are you going to shoot people in the face?" Nastoff said.

Nastoff told Hunter he detected a possible "seed of empathy" because, among about a half-dozen speeches in court Thursday, "you were the only one that talked about what happened to the victim." Nastoff said the sentence was crafted to force Hunter to learn vital life lessons. "Find out who you really are without this whole aura of the athletics around you, because quite frankly in some ways it's made you a Frankenstein monster. It's made you think you're owed certain things," Nastoff said.

Maurice Clarett, Jr. :smh:

I can't read the article at work. But was he trying to shoot the kid or was did he just shoot it at something else and hit the kid?

Regardless, I think the judge went overboard with the probation on not playing organized sports. If this allows the kid to go to college to further his education to become a productive citizen then why take it away from him if you truly want him to rehabilitate. I mean he didn't rob or kill anybody. Albeit he could have seriously hurt the kid shooting that bb gun. This seems a little extreme. Give him the 180 days and community service. But do not take his opportunity to go to college on athletic scholly away. It may be the only thing that saves him. Now the kid may not be able to go to school and find himself back in the system. Normally I do not take the sides of these athletes who do wrong. But unless he had a long history of wrong doing. I think he should at least get a chance to go back his athletics.

Pretty much it was a him in a moving car shooting at a kid with a BB Gun.

I looked at some oft the comments on this story on ESPN and I think many support the judge.
Because we all know how athletes get away with stuff because they play a sport. Now that has been taken away from him, he has to start looking at other options.
Mabye he has a talent for music or writing and can focus on that while staying in shape to play sports after his probation is over.

One comment was this one
Great - a judge with guts to do the right thing. Those here trying to make excuses for the 19 yo - cut us a break . He is another Clarett in the making. Take a few minutes to read other stories about him in his local press. He has been a problem kid and his own family stated to the press that they are 'pleased' with the sentence because he could have gone to the Big HOuse for 8 years.

I agree with the sentence, I wish more judges would have the guts to do that and maybe convince some of these guys to look at other options. Because that could have been worst-right Donte Stallworth?

You nip this mess now we won't have to keep reading about stories like this with someone getting killed.

And that fool that went to LSU breaking into women apts. (his name slips me)

On a side note I don't know if that sentence is legal (the sports thing)

It's legal on the basis that playing on a sports team isn't a required subject in school to graduate from high school or college.

A judge can put in a sentence learn or go to jail. While state laws say we can't force a kid to learn, it forces them to attend school.

That's why No Child Left Behind is such a failure. It assumes the schools are holding the kids back when the kid not caring about education can be the main reason that child doesn't want to learn.

Now if he had a scholarship and was already attending college-then I think you could have a real case.

Like I said this sentence forces him to look at other options in life and maybe keep him out of jail or the grave yard.

Well that answers my question. Seems like he has a pattern of violence. So maybe the Judge was not harsh at all.

It's legal on the basis that playing on a sports team isn't a required subject in school to graduate from high school or college.

A judge can put in a sentence learn or go to jail. While state laws say we can't force a kid to learn, it forces them to attend school.

Like I said this sentence forces him to look at other options in life and maybe keep him out of jail or the grave yard.

It seems like this sentence has forced this young man's hands. He will now become a life long felon and another statistic. So sad, So sad......

It seems like this sentence has forced this young man's hands. He will now become a life long felon and another statistic. So sad, So sad......

Not really-if you look at ways to "bend" the rules.

The key word is PLAY sports. There is nothing preventing him from learning how to coach, ref, take score, do commentary, interview players and so on.

Nothing is wrong being a team manager for a college team.

In other words there are things he can do to still be around sports without playing them. Major in sports medicine or journalism.

In 5 years he'll be 24 and if he stays out of trouble and in shape-who is to say that some of those connections he got doing all those things can't get him a chance to play?

Not really-if you look at ways to "bend" the rules.

The key word is PLAY sports. There is nothing preventing him from learning how to coach, ref, take score, do commentary, interview players and so on.

Nothing is wrong being a team manager for a college team.

I don't think you can get a scholarship for that.

I don't think you can get a scholarship for that.

Maybe he could do a work study. All you need to do is find someone that can point him inthe right direction for scholarships. You have schools begging for minorities to attend.

The thing is we have cussed, thugged, cooned, clowned and everything else ourselves out of help by folks. Hispanics are getting those chances now.

If someone actually cares about him (and not the athlete part of him), they will help him.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back