Will TSU's Mack be eligible for a medical reshirt?

bornthrilla

Proud ***** of JSU
I understand TSU's stud linebacker Leonard Mack broke his arm last night against PV and it is suspected he might be out for the entire season.

Since it was only the first game and he is a highly touted preseason all-american, what are the chances that the NCAA will grant him another year?

Assuming he wants to return next year, TSU will have to appeal to the NCAA for a redshirt. Since it is an appeals process, it's not "cut and dry" and totally up to the decision of that committee. Tough break --- no pun intended.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
It's not for sure that he will be the entire season. According to some doctors and coaches it is possible to play with a broken arm as some players have done in the past. We'll have to wait and see if it is serious. Hopefully it's not.

I would say that he would be granted a fifth year since he only played one game out of eleven. But like other posters said, it's up to the Appeals Comittee.

He's out for 8 to 10 weeks after his surgery.

from his interview, it seems as if he wants to be making $$$ next year. IMO that is why he is wants to play at the end of this year. It doesnt sound like he is concerned about playing next year.

If Mack decides to come back next year, FANTASTIC!!! But if he does not come back next year, then that is all good too. I wish him all the best. Lord knows, he has paid his dues at Texas Southern. He has done some wonderful things for TSU football. Don't know him personally, but from what I hear, he is a classy young man.

Is he scheduled to graduate in the spring?

If he needs more credits, I would suggest he come back for another year and go after that medical redshirt. Play and increase his odds for draft positions and get his degree at the same time. You know playing for a draft position is more money than just trying to get on as a free agent signee.

I really hated to hear the news. I worked with Mack a few summers back. This was when he was a virtual unknown in the SWAC. He always told me, "Once I hit the field, you will know me. I'm that good." (loosely paraphrased)...... When I saw him play, he backed it all up. But at the same time he was a class act. I wish him a speedy recovery and good luck on whatever decision he makes about his future.

Back