Will Jackson State stop wearing red uniforms? It’s a possibility

What's so controversial about a Prez sending out a 2 paragraph email asking athletics to please wear our actual school colors for over a century ? The colors proudly worn buy several NFL Hofers & many other College HOfers.
I think it is because the sports teams have been wearing red for awhile, so some people at JSU (fans, alumni, and supports) have gotten use to it. I bet there was plenty of people that did not like the introduction of the red when it first got introduce. I believe this JSU President is new and was not chosen by people associated with JSU because the state does things differently in Mississippi.

Does the President have the right stop the red, yes but he is going to have to deal with the blow back from some people that like the red. It will be interesting to see if he is going to pull the red apparel from the bookstore and other places. To me he should of just sent out a directive that there will be no new orders of JSU Red Apparel or athletic wear\uniforms and thus letting license holders sell out their red apparel inventory.

"Wearing Red"
If one would know the History of the Color Red.
This Color Symbolize one of the Greatest Football Coaches of all times.
WC Gorden- I think that the Football Team should wear the color on Special Occasion to honor his
hard work and dedication for the program on and off the Football Field.
Coach Gorden and the Squad filled Stadiums beyond expectations with a very small budget.
All True Jacksonians should know his History and Legacy before Prime Time stopped through!
Let's Support the color of Red in his Memory and give Accolades to his Family and make sure that
they are supported in this Endeavor.
"He was one of the Best and still is even during his demise”

On another note, I am mad as hell at the inequity in the WNBA pay! I never knew before this draft just how terrible it was. This disparity has caused women to put their lives in danger playing in Russia just to provide for their families because they pay them better! We need to address this shit!

On another note, I am mad as hell at the inequity in the WNBA pay! I never knew before this draft just how terrible it was. This disparity has caused women to put their lives in danger playing in Russia just to provide for their families because they pay them better! We need to address this shit!
I think this is the wrong thread for this subject, but I will say, I totally agree.

What's so controversial about a Prez sending out a 2 paragraph email asking athletics to please wear our actual school colors for over a century ? The colors proudly worn buy several NFL Hofers & many other College HOfers.
The controversial part is IT's WHAT THE FANS WANT.

But again, it's being worked on. The red is not going anywhere. It's more of a marketing issue that needs to be resolved and we will have it fixed. Dont get it twisted tho. JSU is blue and white but we still love our red.

Does the President at JSU even have the power to stop the school sports teams from using red given that the apparel has already been purchase? You would think they would have more pressing maters to attend to like a new on campus football stadium or the possibility of getting JSU their own on campus water system.

He is working on the water system.
I'm always confused when people think getting a football stadium is a priority. We have the best stadium in the conference but people want us to spend $200M to get one on campus? smh

they need to, them joints is uggggleeee

Worry about your own lil team. JSU's Gordon Red is a staple among our fanbase. The "Sea of Red" is here to stay. Yall tried to have a white out and it didnt work. Speaking of which, WHITE IS NOT YOUR COLOR but you still wear it, right?

Worry about your own lil team. JSU's Gordon Red is a staple among our fanbase. The "Sea of Red" is here to stay. Yall tried to have a white out and it didnt work. Speaking of which, WHITE IS NOT YOUR COLOR but you still wear it, right?
What? Every team has white jerseys
I didn't say red was not needed in the uniform, I said the all red uniforms are ugly because they are.

I don't care for the red, I was a student from 1967 - 1971 and the stadium was on campus. The only red on the field should be blood.

Preach Preacher. Help me spread the same sermon and gospel to my Gramfam who seem to think Red is one of our official colors and love when we wear it as a dominant color! As painful as it is to say, Jackson State wears their unwanted Red better than we wear our wanted Red! 🤦🏾‍♂️

The controversial part is IT's WHAT THE FANS WANT.

But again, it's being worked on. The red is not going anywhere. It's more of a marketing issue that needs to be resolved and we will have it fixed. Dont get it twisted tho. JSU is blue and white but we still love our red.
So fans should simply ignore tradition & what brings fan bases together by randomly changing colors? Because its cool & the dozens of portal hopping kids who dont give a damn about your school like it? Copy it because Grambling & Rob did it in the 50's? Your colors are Blue & White & like Penn State , Kentucky, Duke,etc.....those are the things that bind generations of students.

Help me spread the same sermon and gospel to my Gramfam who seem to think Red is one of our official colors and love when we wear it as a dominant color.

Agree. I love our actual school colors & the beautiful Hobdy Center with no red seats & paint. I wouldn't miss it as a accent.

Somebody with power had to have addressed him about the situation.
Oh you know how some alumni are. They think that they are the star of the show and only their opinion matters.

FAMU never wore any helmet other than orange until a couple of years ago when a white helmet was added. I have no problem with the white helmet as long as it doesn’t become the primary.

With Grambling and JSU, the red looks amazing and works well as a third/alternate color. I wish GSU would go back to the helmets of the 80s and 90s.

Oh you know how some alumni are. They think that they are the star of the show and only their opinion matters.
This is why traditions are important so as not to alienate a section of your alumni or cause friction . After integration many Black businesses & organizations failed( see Negro Leagues ) , communities disintegrated , but Black Colleges( public & private) are one the few things that survived partly because of strong traditions . Those red uniforms didn't stop those dozens of kids & coaches from completely bailing on J. State for the 1st PWI that came calling. Those faithful alumni who remember when their school colors were actually Blue & White are still around though. Keeping traditions unites.

I don't care for the red, I was a student from 1967 - 1971 and the stadium was on campus. The only red on the field should be blood.

And we respect your opinion. The red came after your time. And the same reason people dont like it now is the same reason it went away in the late 90s. WC GORDEN! Gorden created and introduced the red block and the red accents. Some people thought he was trying to make us look like TNState.

But those of us who grew up with the red also have to be respected. We probably make up the largest faction of the alumni now.

Last edited:
So fans should simply ignore tradition & what brings fan bases together by randomly changing colors? Because its cool & the dozens of portal hopping kids who dont give a damn about your school like it? Copy it because Grambling & Rob did it in the 50's? Your colors are Blue & White & like Penn State , Kentucky, Duke,etc.....those are the things that bind generations of students.

You dont know what you are talking about. Red has been used by JSU since the late 70s. So at this point, it's not random. And we dont gaf what Grambling has done. JSU is a bigger media giant than lil GSU and we have taken our red to another level. Yall could never have a red out in your lil tiny stadium. That's just what we do.... WE DO BIG THINGS.

The red DOES bind generations together that is why we fight for it and THAT IS WHY IS NOT GOING AWAY.
So many people want to point to Prime for the red but it was AD Ashley Robinson who brought back the red when he first became AD because that is what he grew up seeing. The red-outs started before Prime. AD Robinson wanted to bring the red back to honor WC Gorden. He is still the AD and our red-outs will continue.

Last edited:
This is why traditions are important so as not to alienate a section of your alumni or cause friction . After integration many Black businesses & organizations failed( see Negro Leagues ) , communities disintegrated , but Black Colleges( public & private) are one the few things that survived partly because of strong traditions . Those red uniforms didn't stop those dozens of kids & coaches from completely bailing on J. State for the 1st PWI that came calling. Those faithful alumni who remember when their school colors were actually Blue & White are still around though. Keeping traditions unites.

Thanks for participating. Im sure Kenn appreciates a good JSU thread... lol
However do understand that we ARE blue and white. We have blue and white jerseys but we wont stop honoring the man that beat all yall to sleep and elevated JSU football to elite status.

At least we KNOW why we wear red. Yall have no clue. I suggest yall drop it. :snicker:

Alternate uniforms doesn’t negate tradition

It only ruins tradition if you completely forget about history. The only team that kinda straddles that line on tradition is Bethune-Cookman. They have blue baseball uniforms and other sports, like football, that briefly replaced gold with silver.

New traditions have been a thing since the late 60’s, so I don’t see it getting any better by todays fans. Someone will start wearing a new accent color in the SWAC soon.

You dont know what you are talking about. Red has been used by JSU since the late 70s. So at this point, it's not random. And we dont gaf what Grambling has done. JSU is a bigger media giant than lil GSU and we have taken our red to another level. Yall could never have a red out in your lil tiny stadium. That's just what we do.... WE DO BIG THINGS.

The red DOES bind generations together that is why we fight for it and THAT IS WHY IS NOT GOING AWAY.
So many people want to point to Prime for the red but it was AD Ashley Robinson who brought back the red when he first became AD because that is what he grew up seeing. The red-outs started before Prime. AD Robinson wanted to bring the red back to honor WC Gorden. He is still the AD and our red-outs will continue.
Grambling still has a bigger name than Jackson State in football, but I do agree that Jackson State is a bigger media Giant today. That Coach Prime experience really lifted the name to a higher level. Grambling’s legendary history is being life support to their media game right now. From Fobbs falling off to the Hue Jackson circus, GSU hasn’t looked pretty in a long time.

Back