Vikings talking about, former ASU's T. Jackson.....

Doug says some nice things about TJack
:tup:

Jackson earning praise
College coaches insist second-rounder was not a 'reach'
BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press
Doug Williams bristles when he hears someone question Tarvaris Jackson's NFL future because Jackson played at Alabama State, a historically black Division I-AA school in the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

Williams starred at Grambling, another historically black university in the same conference, and he enjoyed a successful NFL career that included an MVP performance in Super Bowl XXII for the Washington Redskins.

"I've seen him throw three on me one day when I was coaching at Grambling (in 2003)," Williams said of Jackson. "I knew the kid had some ability. It's unfortunate because he went to a small school, and people put them down. Let's not beat up on Tarvaris becomes he comes from Alabama State and he's African-American."

Some NFL analysts criticized the Vikings' selection of Jackson at the end of the second round as a "reach," especially because he was projected as a fourth-round pick and selected ahead of better-known quarterbacks such as Clemson's Charlie Whitehurst and Alabama's Brodie Croyle.

Leading to the draft, his school's own Web site reported that Jackson "could get the call on day two," meaning in rounds four through seven.

Jackson said he kept his draft expectations quiet because he didn't want to sound arrogant. But his head coach, Charles Coe, had spoken to enough NFL personnel executives to believe that Jackson would be selected in the top three rounds.

"There are a lot of tremendous athletes that have come out of historically black universities. Doug Williams and Steve McNair, Jerry Rice and Walter Payton," Coe said. "People have to understand there is a lot of great talent at historically black colleges. Tarvaris is one of those guys.

"I'm very blessed to have coached him here."

Williams, now a personnel executive for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, said Jackson deserves to be listed among the high-profile quarterbacks taken earlier in the draft.

"He can do everything that Jay Cutler can do. In fact, he might be a better athlete and stronger," Williams said. "He's faster than Matt Leinart, and he can throw the ball better than Vince Young. It's going to be hard to find a guy with as much talent as Tarvaris Jackson."

Vikings coach Brad Childress is elated Jackson is on his roster. He already has his assistant coaches working with the rookie. Quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers, who schooled Donovan Mc Nabb at Syracuse University, has talked to Jackson at 3 p.m. every day on the telephone.

"The best thing to say is that the position coach and that guy are joined at the hip," Childress said of Jackson and Rogers.

Childress said the emphasis early for Jackson will be learning the fundamentals of his position and mastering the Vikings' West Coast offense.

"The pressure he puts on himself will be much greater than anything than I can or anyone else will create," Childress said.

Jackson agreed.

"There's no pressure. I put enough pressure on myself," he said. "But I'm happy to be labeled a quarterback of the future. That's a good thing."

Jackson hasn't spoken to Vikings starter Brad Johnson yet. But he has heard positive things from his position coach at Alabama State, Reggie Barlow, who was a teammate of Johnson's when they won the Super Bowl with the Buccaneers in 2003.

"(Barlow) had a lot of good things to say about Brad," Jackson said. "This year, I just want to learn as much as possible from Brad. He's a good quarterback, and he led a team to a Super Bowl."

Jackson is taking a patient approach to his apprenticeship.

"You want to play as soon as possible," he said, "but I am not going to rush myself. When the coaches feel I'm ready, they'll put me in."

Coe said Jackson won't fail for a lack of effort.

"He's one of the first ones in the weight room and one of the last ones to leave," Coe said. "He's a competitor. But he takes coaching very well."

For now, Jackson is keeping things in perspective.

"I've seen guys that had the talent to be in the NFL not make it because of off-the-field problems or they didn't apply themselves," he said. "I've seen friends put in jail and killed. So I just learn from my mistakes and the mistakes of everyone else. A lot of people helped me along the way."

Jackson, who started his collegiate career at the University of Arkansas, doesn't second-guess his decision to transfer to Alabama State.

"I was at a Division I school, but it didn't work out," he said. "But I feel everything happens for a reason. I had fun playing football at Alabama State, and I don't wish my career would have gone any other way than it did."

Jackson isn't bothered by criticism of where he was chosen in the draft or his skills.

"It motivates me," he said. "It fuels me to work harder every day."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I am not surprised by the reaction of the fans in the Twin Cities. I lived in Minneapolis for three years as a kid and have some memories. I am not planning on moving back there. :tdown:

What so many people forget is that ability rises itself up to the level of competition. As for the former Vikings who were mentioned in this thread, their ability rose to the level of competition.

JROCK said:
A smart brother that had enough sense not to "ride the pine" at a larger school and diminish his potential.

Once again, Kudos to.............

"T.J."

I agree 100%.

Williams....said Jackson deserves to be listed among the high-profile quarterbacks taken earlier in the draft.

"He can do everything that Jay Cutler can do. In fact, he might be a better athlete and stronger," Williams said. "He's faster than Matt Leinart, and he can throw the ball better than Vince Young. It's going to be hard to find a guy with as much talent as Tarvaris Jackson."

Say that Dougie...... but we already knew :tup:

I watched Jackson all the way back in high school. I knew he had potential, and the only thing that he ever needed was a good offensive coordinator to help bring out those hidden talents.

FAB5 said:
Say that Dougie...... but we already knew :tup:

Williams is a true Gramblinite, but he always gave credit to the players who had the goods. Remmeber, in his first draft after leaving for Tampa, he recommended that the Bucs pick Lenny Williams ... from Southern.

Update on Former ASU Star QB Taravis Jackson Now With The Minnesota Vikings

By Mike Donnelly
NFLPLAYERS.COM

Although most of the rookie quarterback talk has focused on Vince Young, Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler, one of the more unheralded quarterbacks coming up to the surface after being called by several NFL analysts as the sleeper pick of the 2006 NFL Draft is Tarvaris Jackson.

Sleeper picks are generally considered to be mid-to-late round players that eventually turn into quality NFL material. Jackson, however, got scooped up by the Minnesota Vikings with the last pick in the second round. Most of the pre-draft projections had him slotted as a fourth or fifth round selection.

"I had my mind set to go anywhere in the draft," said Jackson. "It was a great feeling when they called my name to go to Minnesota in the second round. I was real excited but knew it was just the beginning. I'm starting back over again so I'm kind of nervous at the same time because I know I have to go in there and prove myself."

Jackson originally attended Arkansas in 2001 where he saw limited action with Matt Jones entrenched as the starting quarterback. When the Razorbacks asked him to switch positions, Jackson transferred to Alabama State for the 2003 season.

During his three-year career at ASU, Jackson passed for 7,849 yards, 67 touchdowns and rushed for 982 yards and 11 scores. He also led the Hornets to two Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) championship games, helping ASU win the title in 2004. Last year, he recorded 2,941 passing yards, 29 touchdowns and only five interceptions.

Read the entire article here: http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_objectname_TJacksonNFLPA6106.html :read: :read: :read:

Sounds to me that they are trying to groom Jackson to start for the Vikings by next year.

Back