Vikings talking about, former ASU's T. Jackson.....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
He is another story on T Jackson:

Vikings baffle pundits
Move to draft Division I-AA quarterback seen as risky at best
BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press
As someone who has watched Tarvaris Jackson on tape, former Miami Dolphins general manager Rick Spielman believes the Alabama State quarterback has the tools to develop into an NFL starter.

What Spielman and no one else can say is how long that might take.

That's a key question for the Vikings, with starting quarterback Brad Johnson set to turn 38 in September. Behind him are journeyman veteran Mike McMahon and now a rookie project.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/14476527.htm

Vikings had a QB in mind, but it surprised even him

The team traded both of its third-round picks to Pittsburgh to take Alabama State's Tarvaris Jackson in the second round.

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

Last update: April 29, 2006 – 11:47 PM

Small town celebrates Greenway's selection by Vikings

Vikings draft: Greenway, then gambles

A look at the Vikings' first pick

Vikings Insider: Drafting by consensus gets test

Bush, Young in next wave of potential NFL stars

The Vikings surprised no one by selecting a quarterback of the future on the first day of the NFL draft Saturday afternoon. The player they elected to take? Now that was a different story for nearly everyone, including the guy they picked.

"I didn't really expect to go," said Tarvaris Jackson, the first player drafted out of Division I-AA Alabama State since 1996. "I knew [the Vikings] were interested in me, but I didn't know it was going to be the second round. I was just happy they think of me like that and have the courage to take me."

Jackson admitted he thought he would be picked today during the final four rounds of the draft. The Vikings didn't feel they could afford to wait. That's why they sent their two third-round picks (Nos. 83 and 95 overall) to Pittsburgh in exchange for the final pick (No. 64) of the second round.

Scott Studwell, the Vikings' director of college scouting, said the team's interest in Jackson increased after regional scout Frank Gilliam saw the 6-1, 232-pound quarterback play last season.

"We had heard about him over the course of the fall, and he was one of those players that was elevated [up the draft board] as the season progressed," Studwell said. "I first saw him at the East-West game and he obviously showed that he belonged there."

The Vikings were one of 15 teams to attend Jackson's personal workout and he also impressed them at the combine in February. So as names such as Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler, Oregon's Kellen Clemens and Alabama's Brodie Croyle were connected to the Vikings, the team quietly targeted Jackson.

Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers went to Alabama to conduct a somewhat secret workout, but the Vikings never brought Jackson to Winter Park. "He's going to take time like they all do, but he was a player that we coveted in this draft, and we're just very, very pleased to have him in our program," Studwell said.

Jackson, who will begin learning this season playing behind veterans Brad Johnson and Mike McMahon, said he feels he received some valuable preparation at Alabama State.

"We ran a multiple offense," said Jackson, who began his collegiate career at Arkansas but transferred after two seasons because of a lack of playing time. "This year we were more of a spread team, kind of similar to the stuff that the Vikings did when they had [Daunte] Culpepper. ... We pretty much did everything."

Copyright 2006 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.

Feedback|Terms of Use|Privacy Policy|Member Center|Company Site|Company Directory & Contacts|Company Jobs|Advertising Information|Newspaper Subscriptions & Service|eEdition|Classroom Newspapers

425 Portland Av. S., Minneapolis, MN 55488 (612) 673-4000

TCDA("cc=aan;sc=Sports: Vikings;da;dt");

A smart brother that had enough sense not to "ride the pine" at a larger school and diminish his potential.

Once again, Kudos to.............

"T.J."

former Dolphins GM Rick Speilman said:
"It's a little different trying to read and face defenses in the SWAC as a quarterback and then in the NFL," Spielman said, "but Steve McNair did pretty well."

TJax...take your time..learn from Brad Johnson and Brad Childress..and set the world on fire.

and LOL @ some Vikings fan callin' the SWAC some no-name conference. It's insulting to the point that it's funny to me.

You have to understand the mentality up here. These folks only know about the Big 10 conference with the Univ of Minnesota being right here and Wisconsin and Iowa across the borders of the state. The only small schools they know about are the N.Dakota and S. Dakota schools and the local ones. Also I knew they would ridicule the pick once they saw TJ was a black Qb. Too much like what happened with Daunte coming out of Central Florida. These white folks are so glad Daunte is gone they don't know what to do. Hell they still hate Denny Green up here. LOL. I am happy TJ got drafted and he will get a shot...........but on one hand I hate that it is here. Because they still want a white Qb to lead this team. So he will have to be thick skinned. One of the white sports writers here has went on record on the overall treatment of Daunte and the fact that the fans gave Brad Johnson a pass because he was white when he stunk it up against Pittsburgh in a must win situation and the fact that Johnson only handed the ball off during the Vikings win streak. He was on point with his article.
So I am not expecting any love affair from the media or fans for TJ until he shows them he can win games. Because the one thing I would hear in the stands about Daunte is that the fans thought he was dumb even during his Pro Bowl years. The ironic thing is that the people here loved Randy Moss. No matter what he did. Hopefully TJ learns the system fast. Johnson is one hit away from being out the NFL with his 37 year old body and non mobility. Mike Mahaon was garbage last year in Philly and Childress was not that enamored about signing him here. He just knows the system is all. That's why the Vikes were trying to pry Matt Schaub away from Atlanta. McMahon is just a stop gap for now. TJ may just see the field this year if Brad gets hurt.

Journalist said:
TJax...take your time..learn from Brad Johnson and Brad Childress..and set the world on fire.

and LOL @ some Vikings fan callin' the SWAC some no-name conference. It's insulting to the point that it's funny to me.

The SWAC gave them one of their greatest players............Grambling's Sammy White (he was also NFL's rookie of the year).

JROCK said:
The SWAC gave them one of their greatest players............Grambling's Sammy White (he was also NFL's rookie of the year).

They probably don't even realize where Sammy White went to school anymore or don't know that Grambling is a SWAC school. They have had all kinds of SWAC players here. DE Fernando Smith from JSU was here. JSU's Chris Jones is a WR right now that the old coaching staff raved about last year. Especially Wes Chandler who was the old WR coach. DT Robert Harris from SU was here too with F.Smith.......not to mention back in the day, Ricky Young, Walter Payton's uncle from JSU was one of the best pass receiving RBs in the NFL and still owns a few Vikings records. See its okay to be from a small school if you play another position. But QB.......oh no, most fans still think you need to come from a big time program to be any good despite the success others have had from the smaller schools.

JR said:
They probably don't even realize where Sammy White went to school anymore or don't know that Grambling is a SWAC school. They have had all kinds of SWAC players here. DE Fernando Smith from JSU was here. JSU's Chris Jones is a WR right now that the old coaching staff raved about last year. Especially Wes Chandler who was the old WR coach. DT Robert Harris from SU was here too with F.Smith.......not to mention back in the day, Ricky Young, Walter Payton's uncle from JSU was one of the best pass receiving RBs in the NFL and still owns a few Vikings records. See its okay to be from a small school if you play another position. But QB.......oh no, most fans still think you need to come from a big time program to be any good despite the success others have had from the smaller schools.

I heard one sports reporter on a national radio show slamming the Vikings for picking TJ simply because he had never heard of him. :shame: I guess he doesn't know that TJ's workouts show he had one of the strongest arms of any of the QBs selected, he runs a 4.5, knows how to take snaps from the center, and is about 6-2, 220 pounds. What's not to like. All he needs is reps and experience.

Mr. Tiger said:
I heard one sports reporter on a national radio show slamming the Vikings for picking TJ simply because he had never heard of him. :shame: I guess he doesn't know that TJ's workouts show he had one of the strongest arms of any of the QBs selected, he runs a 4.5, knows how to take snaps from the center, and is about 6-2, 220 pounds. What's not to like. All he needs is reps and experience.

Was it Cowheard?

jag4life said:
Was it Cowheard?

No. It was Doug Russell. He was in for Tim Brando at Sporting News Radio. And he was calling Minnesota's draft a bust because he felt they wasted a pick on TJ. Meanwhile, he thought that Oregon QB Kellen Clemens was the best thing since sliced bread, a real sleeper. Go figure.

And here is one scouting report on Clemens: Arm strength is only average at best...Does not have great size...Struggles with his accuracy...Not a great athlete...Doesn't throw the deep ball well...Is too quick to leave the pocket and run...Makes some poor decisions and will force the action...Needs to stay calm and in control of his emotions...Has a limited upside. May never be a starter but could develop into a solid #2 or #3.

jag4life said:
Was it Cowheard?

Cowheard is a football nerd and has something called the Daily Football Fix every day. I know usually around draft time he'll bring Kiper or some other pundits around to talk draft. And he usually reads up around draft time.

Besides...if TJax was good enough to get noticed WITHOUT A QUARTERBACKS COACH.....that's the main thing Childress was raving about. Tavaris got drafted off of raw talent and innate ability.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Journalist said:
Opposing players from this no-name conference are the reason the Vikings did not win a Super Bowl in 4 attempts.

No need to be so defensive, guys. It's the internet and there are bound to be some pretty childish comments (ie the no-name conference). And I really hate when the race card gets brought up. It's something that some of the local writers in the cities like to bring up every now and then. Yes, it's Scandanavian country up here, but it's also the year 2006. If you would've checked out some of the Vikings message boards during all the hoopla this offseason you would see that there were/are just tons and *tons* of Culpepper fans up here calling for peoples' heads after he got traded. I just don't buy the race argument. Look at Kevin Garnett and Torii Hunter for example.

I didn't know jack about Jackson before the Vikings picked him, but I'm also not a very big draft guru. I do know that I'm very excited that the Vikings picked him though. I've done tons of research on the young man since the pick and I've heard a lot of good things about him. Kiper, Mortensen, Phil Simms - they all love the guy and thought the pick was a good one. Anyone who watches the clips in the video at the bottom of this page has got to be a little giddy. :)

The situation he's in at Minnesota could be very beneficial for him, but it could also be pretty rough too. The two Brads have a pretty good track record at developing QB's. The thing that does concern me though is Brad Johnson's age. I think everyone wants to see Tarvaris on the field, but like every young player you don't want to see him go out there unprepared - you don't want them to get their confidence shaken to a point where it'll be hard to get back. Best-case scenario would be Brad Johnson in 2006, Jackson in 2007. The biggest fans will be able to live through the growing pains of any 2nd-year QB.

Oh, and you forgot about Jake Reed up there. One of my favorite players of all time. He was a courageous athlete who wasn't afraid to get popped in the middle. But that's just a white kid from North Dakota's opinion.

sosstar said:
No need to be so defensive, guys. It's the internet and there are bound to be some pretty childish comments (ie the no-name conference). And I really hate when the race card gets brought up. It's something that some of the local writers in the cities like to bring up every now and then. Yes, it's Scandanavian country up here, but it's also the year 2006. If you would've checked out some of the Vikings message boards during all the hoopla this offseason you would see that there were/are just tons and *tons* of Culpepper fans up here calling for peoples' heads after he got traded. I just don't buy the race argument. Look at Kevin Garnett and Torii Hunter for example.

I didn't know jack about Jackson before the Vikings picked him, but I'm also not a very big draft guru. I do know that I'm very excited that the Vikings picked him though. I've done tons of research on the young man since the pick and I've heard a lot of good things about him. Kiper, Mortensen, Phil Simms - they all love the guy and thought the pick was a good one. Anyone who watches the clips in the video at the bottom of this page has got to be a little giddy. :)

The situation he's in at Minnesota could be very beneficial for him, but it could also be pretty rough too. The two Brads have a pretty good track record at developing QB's. The thing that does concern me though is Brad Johnson's age. I think everyone wants to see Tarvaris on the field, but like every young player you don't want to see him go out there unprepared - you don't want them to get their confidence shaken to a point where it'll be hard to get back. Best-case scenario would be Brad Johnson in 2006, Jackson in 2007. The biggest fans will be able to live through the growing pains of any 2nd-year QB.

Oh, and you forgot about Jake Reed up there. One of my favorite players of all time. He was a courageous athlete who wasn't afraid to get popped in the middle. But that's just a white kid from North Dakota's opinion.

Good Post. You definitely hit the nail on the head on the climate here with the writers in the media. I do disagree with you on comparing KG and Torri with the Qb position of the Vikings. As a season ticket holder I sat there and heard the bad mouthing of Daunte even when he played well. I also sat there and watched the same fans say nothing when Brad was having a bad time of it down the stretch this past season or the fact that the offense was still stuggling and the defense and special teams were winning the games in spite of Brad. I think the one writer Patrick Reusse of the Star Tribune was correct in his analogy that the alot of the Vikings fans would rather have a Qb that looks like Brad and that he gets a pass when he plays badly. Then this Childress character has tried to fool the Culpepper fans with the statement that Daunte reminded him of T.O. ... totally uncalled for. That would never be said about KG or Torri if they asked to be traded because. Childress knew the anti-Daunte sentiment amongst some fans and ran with it. So with that said I just hope T. Jackson is ready to deal with that type of fan/media. He will be the Vikings starting Qb in 07 or 08 at the latest. I just hope the fans give him a chance to shine and not make the same comments I heard about Daunte in the stands. Unfortunately too many folks still think a black Qb can't read defenses or that they are smart. KG and Torri don't play Qb so they don't get that kind of comments from fans.

Just looking at the highlights I didn't realize how good Jackson was in the SWAC. That 25 yard out against Texas Southern was a thing of beauty.

JR said:
Another Article about TJ. This one is interesting. Childress has no clue on how to be tactful at all. The media is about to eat him alive here.

http://www.startribune.com/508/story/410462.html

Childress needs some SERIOUS media training because he is going to be in hot water a lot by not measuring his comments. And the interviews I have seen he speaks very frankly. He doesn't seem like he likes the media very much either. One of the differences in being an assistant and head coach is having to be measured in your comments, vague on certain questions, and to light-heartedly joke with the media to keep things loose. It should be interesting. As for the attitude in Minnesota, I have spent some time up there and many of the natives simply have NO clue about the SWAC or Alabama State. TJ won't have an easy time winning over fans but he has the talent and ability to do it.

Note to self.....make sure you charge these different agencies when they call for a highlight tape.....my s.h.i.t. all on yahoo and didn't make a dime....DAYUM

MACBFAC said:
Note to self.....make sure you charge these different agencies when they call for a highlight tape.....my s.h.i.t. all on yahoo and didn't make a dime....DAYUM

I know it's not consolation but:

Good Job! :tup:

Back