[VIDEO]: The SWAC And Lawsuits - TSPNsports Topic of The Moment

Kenn Rashad

Person In Charge
Staff member
TSPNsports takes a look into what appears to be a growing trend of lawsuits involving the Southwestern Athletic Conference and its member schools.

Are these cases a reflection of the administrators in charge at these universities or are they just a strange coincidence?

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m4P4qPj7fJo" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

More videos are coming, so please take a moment to subscribe to the TSPN video channel.

It seems like to me that some SWAC schools don't have staff attorneys on their payroll. I think HBCU's should have staff attorney's and they should have counseling sessions with administrators on what they can and not do. This will save an embarassment for the school and save them money.Lawsuits,unfortunately are a part of business. It's a contingency that all institutions,businesses have to budget for. I have seen it at work many a times where supervisors have reacted,creating rules not according to policy and they have to retract their rules because it did not fall in line with policy. When smart businesses have attorneys they always consult the attorneys before they do anything that can come back and bite them.

We have law suits because our Board of Trustees and Presidents have their hands in the pot and not on the schools.

We have law suits because our Board of Trustees and Presidents have their hands in the pot and not on the schools.

I think in some of the cases mentioned, the schools were simply looking for a reason to get rid of them (Spears and LaFleur).

Without seeing the actual reason for Lafleur's termination, I find it hard to comment on it. If there was a list of instances in which he violated a code of ethics, his negligence in performing his duties, malfeasance in his office, or a simple mis-representation of the university, then I would say it is an open and shut case in favor of the university, but if they went on the solicitation case alone??? WoW! That along only merits a suspension with pay until the case is resolved, so I can't see it listed only as in reference to that one incident...can we be that dumb???

Without seeing the actual reason for Lafleur's termination, I find it hard to comment on it. If there was a list of instances in which he violated a code of ethics, his negligence in performing his duties, malfeasance in his office, or a simple mis-representation of the university, then I would say it is an open and shut case in favor of the university, but if they went on the solicitation case alone??? WoW! That along only merits a suspension with pay until the case is resolved, so I can't see it listed only as in reference to that one incident...can we be that dumb???

Lafleur's suit (according to reports) is that he wasn't given a reason for being fired. He was literally fired by SU a few days after he was arrested for the prostitution case (which he was eventually found to be not guilty). That is why I called his case "open an shut".

Lafleur's suit (according to reports) is that he wasn't given a reason for being fired. He was literally fired by SU a few days after he was arrested for the prostitution case (which he was eventually found to be not guilty). That is why I called his case "open an shut".

Damn Ken, anybody without a law degree could see that it warren putting him on suspension without pay until the outcome of the case. I think we got too many damn lawyers up here who make up the rules as they go alone instead of following what's in the school handbook.

I love this Ken.....very good job!:tup::clap:

I agree with pbla on this one; it seems as if our (SWAC) schools don't have attorneys or a certified, licensed corporate compliance officer on staff. Education on NCAA compliance and/or corporate law is what's lacking in our schools. Like Elijah said, it should be MANDATORY that ALL administrators take such counseling sessions; and yes, unfortunately, sometimes ocassionally it may come with the territory, but our schools cannot afford to remain ignorant when it comes to lawsuits and compliance issues.

To some degree, I feel that these "old" SWAC Alumni need to realize that there is no loyalty to ANY SCHOOL in 2012...rather SWAC Alumni or Not.

For example, just because I am an Alcornite and I am the Head Football Coach at Alcorn does not mean anything. I am the Head Football Coach PERIOD. I am there to do my job and get paid.

I AM GOING TO ALWAYS DO WHAT IS IN MY BEST INTEREST AS AN INDIVIDUAL. If Alcorn does me wrong, I will file a lawsuit against my own alma mater. That is how Nick Saban, Les Miles, and all the other FBS and FCS Coaches think in today's time. It's all about the money, get use to it.

Grambling does Doug Wrong....Doug Will sue.
Southern does Stump Wrong...Stump Will sue.
JSU does Comegy Wrong........Comegy will sue.
Alabama A&M does Jones Wrong...Jones Will sue
Alabama State does Barlow Wrong...Barlow will sue
Valley does Morgan wrong.............Morgan will sue
TX Southern does Asberry wrong....Asberry will sue
PV does Northern wrong................Northern will sue.

Sorry those WC Gorden type days of "school loyalty and all that stuff is long gone. More Money, More Problems.

Last edited:
combination of things.....when you have folks getting hooked up with big jobs without the proper credentials they can't easily move on to the next high-paying gig unless they know someone else...this is probably it in terms of big money so the only way they know is to sue and history suggests they could win or else they wouldn't waste their time

I think the SWAC schools are not hiring qualified individuals to protect the interest of the schools. The SWAC is hiring "friends" who are "stealing" checks and not earning their pay. Furthermore, we are not providing our younger alumni a chance in the Director positions. We would much rather hire a non-alumnis who is utilizing our schools as stepping stones rather creating BUILDING BLOCKS at our institutions.

Our schools have the mentality that water taste better from another school...the work output is better from a graduate of another school....yet our schools consistently brag on our graduate...but refuse to hire them.....

The issue Kenn spoke about above will be a revolving door until we bring in people who are qualified and care about our schools.

I feel that LaFleur's firing was justified, regardless of the outcome of the criminal trial. Heck OJ won his criminal trial and lost a lawsuit. lol

combination of things.....when you have folks getting hooked up with big jobs without the proper credentials they can't easily move on to the next high-paying gig unless they know someone else...this is probably it in terms of big money so the only way they know is to sue and history suggests they could win or else they wouldn't waste their time

Good points TBF.

And that justification is?...

See Ken, folks forget about our former AD's arrest for the wife assault thing. So that wasn't the first time he had some issue. Now I could be dead wrong. But his extension was supposed to have some moral clause/conduct deal in it. So it may have been the very extension he got that done him in. Not to mention, the women coaches told a lot of isht to the NCAA about certain things being handled by the AD. I would say SU had a lot more than folks realize on the former AD. So far there has been no record of him filing a lawsuit. At least that what the university has said.

Mike Haywood got hired and then fired by Pittsburgh for his alledged issue with his girlfriend and just got his charges dropped. Will he sue Pitt for not giving him due process after just getting hired? Schools are doing it all the time. Not just HBCUs or SWAC schools. Now we know it hurts us because we don't have the money to be paying out. They do. LOL. Or they will not mind going to court to see if they will win.

See Ken, folks forget about our former AD's arrest for the wife assault thing. So that wasn't the first time he had some issue. Now I could be dead wrong. But his extension was supposed to have some moral clause/conduct deal in it. So it may have been the very extension he got that done him in. Not to mention, the women coaches told a lot of isht to the NCAA about certain things being handled by the AD. I would say SU had a lot more than folks realize on the former AD. So far there has been no record of him filing a lawsuit. At least that what the university has said.

Mike Haywood got hired and then fired by Pittsburgh for his alledged issue with his girlfriend and just got his charges dropped. Will he sue Pitt for not giving him due process after just getting hired? Schools are doing it all the time. Not just HBCUs or SWAC schools. Now we know it hurts us because we don't have the money to be paying out. They do. LOL. Or they will not mind going to court to see if they will win.

And I think this is the primary difference between PWCs and HBCUs. PWCs have the money to make payouts in the event they want to terminate a coach's contract early. In the case of Spears, Eunice Elliot and possibly D. Taylor and Lefleur, I guessing the hope is to take a legal chance of not having to make a payout based on a technicality. And if that is the case, that just isn't smart.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2011-04-19-southern-greg-lafleur-lawsuit_N.htm

LaFleur's suit was filed Thursday in Baton Rouge state court. It has been assigned to state District Judge Todd Hernandez.

I wish him luck. I could be wrong as I said. But I think he may lose this one. I think even the State collected some evidence against him on his way out. So this will be interesting. SU was put in a bad way with this one. Had they not acted quickly, it was about to really be on in BR. But again, those are from my sources. Sometimes we do need to SEND a message. With all the scandals going around college ball, it may play in the school's favor. SU should damn shole no better with all the attorney's running around on campus at SU Law Center. White and Black attorneys at that. So I would hope we get advised on what we do before we do it. One of our issues is we have TOO many Lawyers running SU. Just my opinion. All them cats should no better. Tony Clayton and them cats are all attorneys. LOL.

Note: There's nothing on record saying that he was fired for the arrest in houston.

"Android" The peoples champion...take NOTE!

I think most posting here are aware of my position. A majority of us have worked some type of corporate position or some type of public deal, in the form of municipality, local (state), or fed related gov't agencies. We've come to know and understand what personal and team accountability, systematic measurements in the forms of measurable metrics, and corporate "right" is. In looking several of the current SWAC institutions over, I've leveled that quite a few individuals, in decision making authority as it relates to athletics, are, for lack of a better word, ill-equipped and quite inept in fully yielding only a professional segment of numerous possible attributes their position requires. Also, there seems to be a "good old boy" political climate, ironically of the "black" kind, that exists on SWAC campuses which yields the results of hook-ups or hiring practices where a non-qualified individual is simply placed in a position about the university w/out the required knowledge and skills to carry out what the position requires in the form of a job description. :smh: What’s even more perplexing is the severe lack of desire for improvement by attending consorts, internships for learning, knowledge-txfer related camps/classes @ larger more successful universities.

Prime example for us @ PV (validate the record-I’m off the cuff w/ this one)… hiring a FOOTBALL coach to be the WOMENS BASKETBALL coach where over a 20+ year period, the coach has an atrocious overall winning percentage of 13-14% (if memory serves correct – help me PVers who are in the know from 1982(?)-2003(?)). Granted, in his defense, I think PV offered only 7-8 full-rides where some of those were broken up into partials, if memory serves correct. But still, I hope the former football coach has now learned the ins and outs of basketball and can txfer that knowledge to young ladies if called upon to serve in that position again. :emlaugh:

BINGO!

I think the SWAC schools are not hiring qualified individuals to protect the interest of the schools. The SWAC is hiring "friends" who are "stealing" checks and not earning their pay. Furthermore, we are not providing our younger alumni a chance in the Director positions. We would much rather hire a non-alumnis who is utilizing our schools as stepping stones rather creating BUILDING BLOCKS at our institutions.

Our schools have the mentality that water taste better from another school...the work output is better from a graduate of another school....yet our schools consistently brag on our graduate...but refuse to hire them.....

The issue Kenn spoke about above will be a revolving door until we bring in people who are qualified and care about our schools.

Back