Valley's Dowell dies in Saturday car crash

bluphiiijsu

Creative Director
From staff and wire reports

Mississippi Valley State assistant men's basketball coach Cecil Dowell died in an auto accident around midnight Saturday in Como.

Dowell, a native of Arlington, Tenn., and a 1985 Ole Miss graduate, was in his first year at Valley. He was a key member of the Rebels' basketball squad that made three NIT appearances and one NCAA appearance.

Dowell played himself into the Southeastern Conference Tournament record book while helping his team claim the 1981 SEC tourney championship. He set records for most free throws attempted in a game (18) and most free throws made in a game (16).

"Cecil was one of the hardest working assistant coaches you could find and always had the best interest of young people in mind," said MVSU head coach James Green. "Cecil was a teammate and one of my best friends. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and especially his daughter Paris."

Said MVSU athletic director Lonza Hardy: "In his short time at Mississippi Valley State, he had proven himself to be such a man of exceptional character that the student-athletes looked up to and admired him."

Funeral arrangements for Dowell are pending.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060522/SPORTS030105/60522001/0/SPORTS

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
buckwheat1911 said:
Sorry to hear about that! You just never how god plans to end our lives.

You are right. Thats why we have to enjoy everyday like it is our last, because he could be. RIP

Oh my!

Cecil is a homeboy. I was reading the Commercial Appeal [Memphis] early this morning and saw his obituary. My brother and his family attend the same church and my relatives are handling his services.

Oxford - CECIL WALTER DOWELL, JR., 45, formerly of Arlington, died May 21, 2006. Public viewing and Family hour will be from 6-8 p.m. Thursday, May 25 at Jefferson Mortuary, 7788 Church Street in Millington and from 10-11:55 a.m. Friday, May 26 with service to follow at 12 p.m. at Oak Spring Baptist Church, 10250 Godwin Road in Arlington. Burial in Oak Spring Missionary Baptist Church in Arlington. Mr. Dowell was the men's Assistant Basketball Coach at Mississippi Valley State University in Itta Bena, MS, member of Oak Spring Missionary Baptist Church, member of the choir and a Sunday school teacher. He leaves a daughter, Paris Dominique Terry of Oxford, MS, his mother, Earnestine Jarmon Dowell of Arlington; his father, Cecil Walter Dowell, Sr. of Arlington, and two sisters, Stephanie Dowell Williams, of Arlington, and Daphne Kay Dowell of Durham, NC; two brothers, Cedric Dowell, Sr. and Keith Dowell, Sr., both of Arlington. Jefferson Mortuary 901-872-8800

Published in The Commercial Appeal on 5/24/2006.

http://www.legacy.com/CommercialAppeal/Obituaries.asp?Page=SearchResults&DateRange=Today&Product=0

Back