Valley working on production in red zone!!!

Devilsh1

The Preeminent One!
Valley working on production in red zone

By:Bill Burrus, Sports Editor 03/31/2005

With a wealth of experience back on the gridiron, Mississippi Valley State is trying to fine-tune its offense and defense during spring drills.

"We've got pretty much everybody back, so our biggest concern this spring is working in the red zone on offense and defense," said MVSU coach Willie Totten, who has 10 starters returning on defense and nine on offense. "We finished last year ranked fourth in the SWAC in total offense and total defense, so we did some good things, but we didn't finish. "We had the ball 21 times in the red zone but scored just six times, getting stopped by the defense, turning the ball over or missing field goals.

"We've gone back and looked at our tendencies on both sides of the ball in the red zone, and we've made some adjustments."

Valley started spring practice last week and is scheduled to conclude things April 9 with a spring game.

Valley is coming off a disappointing 3-8 season, but the expectations for the 2005 season will be high with so many starters coming back.

Totten is excited about what quarterback Aries Nelson, a Mississippi State transfer, will do next season now that he has a year at Valley under his belt after earning the SWAC Newcomer of the Year honors last season.

Nelson left Mississippi State for Valley just prior to the start of the 2004 season and quickly moved into the starting lineup. He completed 116-of-226 passes (a 43.6 completion rate) for 1,733 yards with nine touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

"The talent is there. The main thing for him is polishing himself as a quarterback and learning the rest of the system," Totten said. "We're expecting him to really develop into something special for us."

MVSU opens the 2005 season Sept. 3 at home against Arkansas-Pine Bluff, but Totten says there is a chance that game might be moved to Chicago.

?Greenwood Commonwealth 2005

You need to work on production in the 4th quarter. How many games did you enter the fourth quarter in the lead and blew it. Had to be around 6 or 7.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Devil's Gun Trigger Man said:
ok maybe i'm slow but we opened up with PB at valley last year, shouldn't the game be in Pine Bluff this year?

9 game SWAC mandate did the scheduling.

ok maybe i'm slow but we opened up with PB at valley last year, shouldn't the game be in Pine Bluff this year?

The Swac office took over the schedule for all conferance games. They made the master schedule and some teams had to flip there previous schedule. Those are some of the things that had to be done to make the schedule even for all the schools. Most of the east teams got 5 conferance home games and will get 4 in 2006 as the games flip back.

yep because we played Valley in Huntsville last year and we are playing Valley in Huntsville again this year.

Damn that is a long bus ride, glad i don't have to take it anymore.

On the real though, Valley gonna put up ALOT of points this year. We gonna have one of the baddest receiving corps outside of Alcorn and Grambling if them boys stay healthy. #5 Tyrone Timmons is a beast, but he was hurt most of the year. Now Shang Moore has another year of experience at receiver under his belt. We also got a couple of more young talented cats waiting in the wings. I'm not even gonna mention that we have a good running back now with Cotton

Now Shang Moore has another year of experience at receiver under his belt.

I see he and his father has finally conceded to the receiver position. That's the reason he left University of Houston becuase they didn't give him a shot a QB. Good luck this season Valley. :tup:

C-LeB28 said:
I see he and his father has finally conceded to the receiver position. That's the reason he left University of Houston becuase they didn't give him a shot a QB. Good luck this season Valley. :tup:

I mean he had a choice to make, either put his athleticism to good use and start at receiver or be angry and selfish and pine away to play quarterback. Him going to receiver just gives us another potential "Weapon of Mass Destruction"

Won't have to worry about UAPBs recievers. We stocked up on running backs to try and fill the void left by the 3 top RBs graduating.

Da_Sperm said:
Won't have to worry about UAPBs recievers. We stocked up on running backs to try and fill the void left by the 3 top RBs graduating.
I am not gonna say all that because in fact we have 4 receivers coming in and a qb that is going to play two position if things work out (receiver and dback) so we have five recivers coming in that can play one who is a hometown player so that is staight but just wait and watch for the Lions to rip in some ass...... :mrt:

KILLER-LION said:
I am not gonna say all that because in fact we have 4 receivers coming in and a qb that is going to play two position if things work out (receiver and dback)

Never a good thing .....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
jag4life said:
Never a good thing .....

I was thinking the same thing. Why in the world would u want your QB out there playing DB? I don't care how talented he is. QB is a tough enough position as it is, and with the SWAC offensive lines the way they are, your are pretty much gonna get beat up every week, so why take that risk?

Do u think Alcorn would have put McNair at DB?, Darnell Kennedy, Robert Kent, Bruce Eugene, and etc....

Actually, didn't McNair go to Alrcorn because the D1A schools that were interested in him were going to make him play DB? It is not uncommon to switch a QB to DB. Nebraska's Hiesman Trophy winning QB (forgot his name) was drafted as a DB, even though he quit.

Eric Crouch, but he sucked anyway he didn't deserve to win that Heisman. What u are saying is true, but were are saying why would u want your quarterback to go both ways???? Unless i understood what he was saying wrong.

Da_Sperm said:
Actually, didn't McNair go to Alrcorn because the D1A schools that were interested in him were going to make him play DB? It is not uncommon to switch a QB to DB. Nebraska's Hiesman Trophy winning QB (forgot his name) was drafted as a DB, even though he quit.

But those players didn't play both positions in college. They either were asked to play DB and declined (McNair) or changed positions to play in the NFL (Scott Frost of Nebraska). No coach in their right mind would play their starting college QB at DB also.

Going into the 4th quarter, Valley was leading Southern, AAMU, and Alcorn and was tied with Jackson State. Obviously Valley needs to learn how to win. Maybe having an older team will help in that department. Either that or they wore down...meaning they need better conditioning or more quality depth. Being able to hold on in the end was the difference in a 3 win season or a 6 or 7 win season.

I was thinking the same thing. Why in the world would u want your QB out there playing DB? I don't care how talented he is. QB is a tough enough position as it is, and with the SWAC offensive lines the way they are, your are pretty much gonna get beat up every week, so why take that risk?

Do u think Alcorn would have put McNair at DB?, Darnell Kennedy, Robert Kent, Bruce Eugene, and etc....
YOU TOOK IT THE WRONG WAY WHAT I WAS SAYING IS THAT WE HAVE A GUY COMING IN THAT PLAYS BOTH POSITIONS HE WILL NOT PLAY QB HERE AT PB HE WILL BE A DB AND A RECIEVER.... THAT IS WHAT I WAS SAYING........... WE HAVE TWO GUYS THAT ARE SPYING THAT STARTING POSITION FOR QB THE OTHER GUY IS NOT ONE OF THEM YA HEARD.....

Back