Univ. of South Carolina to review tickets for 07 SC State game

Journalist

Listen up maggots! And that's an order!
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/14486212.htm

The following is the complete story from off the AP

COLUMBIA, S.C. ? University of South Carolina President Andrew Sorenson wants the athletic department to look at how many tickets it is offering South Carolina State when the Bulldogs come to Columbia for a 2007 game.
Sorenson?s request came after Sen. Robert Ford, D-Charleston, wrote a letter criticizing South Carolina State?s proposed allocation of around 2,000 tickets in Williams-Brice Stadium, which seats more than 80,000.
Sorenson has talked with athletic officials at both schools about the contract for the 2007 game, which has not been finalized, University of South Carolina spokesman Russ McKinney said Tuesday.
In his letter to Sorenson last week, Ford wrote the 2,000 tickets were ??irreverent and derided the African American community by limiting the school?s ability to sell more tickets.??
??We as the members of the South Carolina Legislative Black Caucus contend that South Carolina State University should have the opportunity to sell tickets to their students, alumni and fans,?? Ford wrote.
In an interview with The Associated Press on Tuesday, Ford said he would not be satisfied with less than 20,000 tickets for South Carolina State.
The 2,000-ticket allotment is what South Carolina offers all Division I-AA teams, including other in-state schools like Furman and Wofford, athletic spokesman Steve Fink said.
Nobody gets 20,000 tickets for a Gamecock home game. ??I don?t think Clemson even gets 20,000 tickets when they come here,?? Fink said.
The bulk of South Carolina?s tickets go to season ticket holders. ??The stadium seats just over 80,000. Last year 62,676 season tickets were sold. We normally have to allow for 10,000 tickets for USC students,?? McKinney said. ??So, it?s not like you have half a stadium not being used.??
Ford said South Carolina State should get more tickets because the first ever matchup between the Bulldogs and Gamecocks would be more than a football game to blacks.
??Black people are going to take it differently from white people,?? Ford said. ??Whites are going to think its just another sporting event but blacks are going to take it differently and there?s going to be a whole lot of participation from the black community. They?re finally playing the big boys.??
The game will also bring massive crowds of tailgaters, similar to when South Carolina State played Benedict at Williams-Brice Stadium for a few years, Ford said.
??For them to offer South Carolina State 2,000 tickets is a big insult and total disrespect to black people in South Carolina and black folks are already mad,?? Ford said. ??It was an irresponsible, stupid mistake.??
South Carolina officials did not respond to the racial issues brought up by Ford.
A call to South Carolina State?s athletic department was not immediately returned Tuesday.
Wofford Athletic Director Richard Johnson said his school would not be requesting an increase in the number of tickets set aside for the Terriers when they come to Columbia on Sept. 16.
??A lot of our fans are dual season ticket holders,?? Johnson said. ??So I?m not sure we would exceed that demand for that game because a lot of them already have them or have access to them.??
Schools like Wofford and South Carolina State will make a lot of money by coming to South Carolina. They will be paid around $230,000 for games until 2010, which will increase to $250,000 through 2014, Fink said.

Sometimes Black folks complain too much...

The stadium seats 80,000... they have around 63,000 season ticket holders.... they alot 10,000 tickets for students.... how in the hell does he expect S.C. State to get 20,000 tickets?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
DAHILL said:
Sometimes Black folks complain too much...

The stadium seats 80,000... they have around 63,000 season ticket holders.... they alot 10,000 tickets for students.... how in the hell does he expect S.C. State to get 20,000 tickets?

Co-sign, I guess he wanted his name in the paper.

Jesse Jackson will be in South Carolina next week.... wait and see what I tell you

I agree. The only way I see SC State getting more tickets is if they already have the money in hand to purchase more tickets.....

And besides, the whites who run USC don't care anything about the black folks or their 'perceived' significance of this game. So I don't see any reason why they should (for that matter). SCState clearly needs the payday, and USC could easily find another opponent....

Stop whining... Sell your 2000 tickets, and then go over to USC and buy 18,000 more since you're convinced you should've had 20,000 tickets......

Money talks.... Not rhetoric...

If the game means SO much to the Blacks there... why dont they just buy S. Carolina season tickets.

This guy needs shut his pie hole regarding the tickets. ALL visitors to the stadium get 2K. Big time SEC schools are not in the business of trying to use the visitor to fill up their stadiums with the opponents fans. They pack the place with their own fans.

I'm with you guys. This game means nothing to the Black community. It only means something to the SCSt. football team in that it is a measuring stick of how far they are and how well they compete! Point Blank! 2000 tickets is the norm and not anything deriding since it is offered to everyone in Div 1AA.

Didn't we have this same discussion a while back when some folx started railroading SU bout not giving their schools enough tickets to come to Mumford?

I'm just asking.....

I agree with you all.

This guy is really out of his league with this demand.

I've been to several University of Texas vs. Texas A&M games and the visitor's are squeezed in every year into their allotted section just like any other team would be. NO EXCEPTIONS!

The only thing that'll come out of this is bulletin board material for the University of South Carolina players.

Dahill,

Jesse won't be there. I can promise you that.

Damn Robert Ford.....people if you knew the stuff that flies out of his mouth on a daily basis you would think he was born during the Civil War. You don't hear SC State coach complaining. He's a former assistant at South Carolina. Matter of fact I bet it's going to be hard for SC State to sell 2000 tickets because the Blacks here don't give a damn about South Carolina.

Ford should be trying to get SC State/The Citadel to play again and SC State/Charleston Southern both games were sell outs.

South Carolina State better start looking for a replacement game.

USC gonna drop their arses like a hot potato.
All the D-1AA schools out there they can play, they ain't gonna keep going through this guy's bullshat.

It ain't like the need them to fill that stadium.
If they want more tickets than alloted........................do like we did against USM both times.
GET OFF YOUR BUTT'S AND GO TO TICKETMASTER AND BUY A DANG TICKET.

WRITE THAT DOWN up there in bold.

I have been saying this all alone. USC stadium hold 80K, with 63K in season ticket holders and 10K for students. That leaves 7K for visitors and walk-up fans. That is how home games are suppose to work.

SCS should take the whippin and payday and move on.

IMHO, assholes like this really make it hard when we actually have legitament issues. If he would have done his homework before he opened is ignorant mouth he would know that is how it is at schools like that (SEC, Big Ten, Etc) they sellout thier own stadium and give the other team a certain amount (usually the NCAA minumuim) If that is how they do it with all teams (or all 1AA schools ) there ain't no problem. I have gotten to the point where I ain't supporting black polititions that always cry racisms.

Da_Sperm said:
I have been saying this all alone. USC stadium hold 80K, with 63K in season ticket holders and 10K for students. That leaves 7K for visitors and walk-up fans. That is how home games are suppose to work.

SCS should take the whippin and payday and move on.

One of 2 things are going to happen..............both bad for South Carolina State:

1: USC pull's the game and tell S.C.S to go to he!! because of this guy and the trained seals barkin' and clapping in agreement with him. :what:

2: The game is played and USC run up a hundred on them.
Hate to say it, but if this game is played, them MF's from USC gonna beat the crap out of them.......................no mercy
. :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Not to mention how they will be treated the second the set foot on that campus because of this.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
you know steve spurrier will straight molly wop those clowns just for speaking out of turn.

dahill!!! buy USC season tickets.....they don't buy season tickets for their own program..lol it would be one thing if he was like, you know, sc state has 20k season ticket holders and we were hoping to get them all in.

dude must think this is sometype of classic and they were supposed to get a huge alotment of tickets....or he's sitting in his office scratching his head wondering aloud, "you mean they don't need our fans to buy tickets to their games?"

Journalist said:
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/14486212.htm

Sorenson has talked with athletic officials at both schools about the contract for the 2007 game, which has not been finalized, University of South Carolina spokesman Russ McKinney said Tuesday.
Someone at SC State needs to tell this fool to STFU before he cost them a big pay-day. It wouldn't be that hard for them to be replaced by one of the other state schools or another 1AA school.

enswaclopedia said:
Someone at SC State needs to tell this fool to STFU before he cost them a big pay-day. It wouldn't be that hard for them to be replaced by one of the other state schools or another 1AA school.

Take it from someone who lives in South Carolina.....you can't shut this fool up. This is tame compared to some of the stuff he's said in the past. It's not the black folks in Charleston who keep him in office.

enswaclopedia said:

Co sign

Ford has a point. By raising "L" maybe he can get atleast 4000 tickets. I am sure there are more than 2000 SCST fans that would like to attend the game. SCST will need some fans in the stands. I think they payday is not enough for this game. SCST could play a home game and make this kind of money.

The man is a State Senator, and if he keep the pressure on they might get 5000 tickets. You cannot get them if you don't ask. I am not one that believe, just because we have been giving out 2000 tickets in the past this is the way to do it. "L" this is a historcal game and it is special. Ford keep the pressure. On my first job I had to go in the backdoor. We decided as teenagers that we were going through the front door and low and behold after a few fight and discussions it was ok to come in any door we wanted to.

this aint a major game for S.C. just for S.C.State... if S.C. State doesnt want to take the 2,000... S.C. will just schedule another team and have the same amount of fans. S.C. aint BEGGIN State to play them, they should have read the contract BEFORE agreeing to play them.

Like Sperm said..... Shut-up, bend over, take the 'phuggin' like a man, wipe yourself off, and go straight to the BANK with that check.......

Quit wanting to be held and cuddled and that lovey-dovey stuff. That's what the MEAC is for.......

:dude:

It don't make financial sense to me. If your program is going to make $230,000, then why would you want 20,000 tickets. By the time your fans spend money on parking, consessions, and game tickets, then you have basically played FOR FREE.

20,000 * $20 (game tickets) = $400,000
5,000 * $5 (parking) = $25,000
20,000 * $3 (consessions) = $60,000

Total spent by SCST fans is $485,000, SCST program gets $230,000. USC makes $250,000 off SCST fans alone.

Play the game, don't send one dayum fan and GET PAID and come HOME.

Da_Sperm said:
It don't make financial sense to me. If your program is going to make $230,000, then why would you want 20,000 tickets. By the time your fans spend money on parking, consessions, and game tickets, then you have basically played FOR FREE.

20,000 * $20 (game tickets) = $400,000
5,000 * $5 (parking) = $25,000
20,000 * $3 (consessions) = $60,000

Total spent by SCST fans is $485,000, SCST program gets $230,000. USC makes $250,000 off SCST fans alone.

Play the game, don't send one dayum fan and GET PAID and come HOME.

When we attend classics the promoter count it just like you stated.

U of Chatta offered us $25,000 to play them and we told them AAMU will bring more fans 100 miles away that you will bring. We wanted 50/50 they said no. But how do we know who mandated the game between SC and SCST, because money wise it doesn't add up. Now that Martin is no longer the AD, we will have to start playing Jacksonville again because of politics. I know more than 2000 SCST folks so I will be checking with them to find out which Republican sold them out.

Back