Uh...has anyone noticed that...

the band fan

Baseball Fan
Alcorn State's game against Louisiana-Monroe was moved to Thursday, Aug. 30th? (No TV has been announced also)

ULM is banking on a record crowd to show. 21,000 was the previous record.

the band fan said:
Alcorn State's game against Louisiana-Monroe was moved to Thursday, Aug. 30th? (No TV has been announced also)

Yeah, I heard about this. That is one hell of a gamble. I kinda understand the logic behind it, but that is still one hell of a gamble.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
the band fan said:

That's crazy but I think I can still swing it and be ready for work the next day.

What's the logic behind it? If there's no TV involved, wouldn't it be better on Saturday? Wouldn't more fans travel to the game then? Especially having an extra day to return?

Help me see what you're seeing.....IF there's no TV, with TV, I get it....a little.

Louisiana-Monroe is basically a Southland school in 1-A clothing. They drew well on Thursday last year and think it'll work again. 21,000 is like 70,000 toi them

Why is Thursday good for them?

Also, I thought A&T was playing UL-Monroe.

Also, ain't UL-Monroe the school that dropped 70+ points on McNair and company?

they had a big crowd last season on Thursday and think it'll work again

They used to be called NE Louisiana.....real powerful school but now since a name change and mascot change in addition to thinking they are D-1 has significantly weakened their program.

They struggle against the 1-aa teams in the state

the band fan said:
they had a big crowd last season on Thursday and think it'll work again

They used to be called NE Louisiana.....real powerful school but now since a name change and mascot change in addition to thinking they are D-1 has significantly weakened their program.

They struggle against the 1-aa teams in the state

They won the I-AA Championship some years ago. Back before Greyhound was there playing basketball.

Thats a good thing for me atleast.

I'm gonna be working every weeked now so I'ma miss all of my football games.:(

I might be able to see my BRAVES live and in person.

I can't wait to see the assault of Charlie "HORSE" Spiller and Huges on the field.

Tigerpride said:

Also, I thought A&T was playing UL-Monroe.

Something like that.
Back in '92. In the playoffs.

g4L, LaTech had already moved to 1A. Back in the 80's,
Tech beat up on Totten and Rice in the 1aa playoffs. Turned
around and beat Alcorn the next week.

Jaguar94 said:
Something like that.
Back in '92. In the playoffs.

g4L, LaTech had already moved to 1A. Back in the 80's,
Tech beat up on Totten and Rice in the 1aa playoffs. Turned
around and beat Alcorn the next week.
Thanks for the correction

Bengal E said:
What's the logic behind it? If there's no TV involved, wouldn't it be better on Saturday? Wouldn't more fans travel to the game then? Especially having an extra day to return?

Help me see what you're seeing.....IF there's no TV, with TV, I get it....a little.

I'm thinking that ULM thinks that folks will be so ready for football by that time, that they will welcome the Thursday night start.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
ULM has recruited well and will have more talent advantage. Fortunate that their 4 yr starter at qb. Steven Jiles, is in the CFL and their top receiver declared for early entry into the NFL. But still there is good talent on the roster. A win by the Braves would be considered an upset and would be gppd for their program and the league. Good Luck!

.........thanks for this info,I had not heard about the change.I guess I will have to rearrange things a little.

I guess one of these days we will get an SID and will know about these kind of things.

thebandfan said:

Tigerpride said:

The Monroe paper has been writing about it ...

The NCAA's all-time leader in total offense, McNair was a juggernaut until he arrived at Malone Stadium in 1992. That night, Alcorn left with a crushing 78-27 loss ? though McNair would go on to fashion an impressive 14,496-yard, 119-touchdown college passing career.

The Braves' air attack (seventh in the 10-team Southwestern Athletic Conference with 157 yards per night last season) isn't putting up such lofty numbers these days.

Alcorn, which plays Louisiana-Monroe in the Aug. 31 season opener for both, prefers to focus on a stirring four-game winning streak that began in early October last season.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060714/SPORTS/607140343/1006/NEWS17

Here's another article, talking about the hopes for a big crowd, from the same paper:
http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060714/SPORTS/607140346/1006/NEWS17

MikeBigg said:
ULM has recruited well and will have more talent advantage.

Cosign!!!!

They are now getting the West monroe kids that lsu and others used to gangsta from them. ULM had a very solid recruiting class. I want to go to this game. People who are out of town ulm fans/alumni/supporters are pissed at ulm for moving that game to thursday.

I can't wait to go!!!!

Maybe their thinking is if the game is played on Thursday, LA. Tech, Grambling and possibly some high school parents and students would be interested in viewing this game. Keep in mind that Friday night is the big high school football night and Saturday for surrounding colleges...........May not be bad news for local fans. Y'all know that the Village:lol: :emlaugh: of Grambling will probably be empty that Thursday night. :lol: :emlaugh:

GRAM4LIFE said:
Now STC you know dang well there is no such thing as a ULM supporter...

MY BAD!!!!!!!!!!!

They think their school is a big football school!!!!!

The NEWS STAR even tries to make them actually seem like they have had a winnign program since Vincent Brisby left there.

LUCKILY I KNOW THE SPORTS EDITOR AT THE NEWS STAR AND WE USED TO PIMP WOMEN BACK IN 72 SO HE KNOWS THE REAL DEAL !!!!:hat: :hat: :hat: :hat:

Back