TXSU excluded from the Texas endowment fund.

Texas is a hot mess.
It is, I have been talking about this topic in the private forum since I learned about it several months ago.

The legislation went through with metrics that were attainable to look inclusive, then at the very last minute the requirement of a 400M endowment was added to exclude.

Typical of them in these parts. As soon as any school not included comes close to that 400M endowment mark it will be increased to maintain the exclusion.

Last edited:
Until TSU gets into a system, the university will likely continue to stall as far as academic and research growth. We're the only independent public university in the state ... clearly something is wrong with being independent but we have stupid leadership right now

Until TSU gets into a system, the university will likely continue to stall as far as academic and research growth. We're the only independent public university in the state ... clearly something is wrong with being independent but we have stupid leadership right now

The school has increased research activity and continues succeed at it. Crumpton-Young created the Division of Research and Innovation while she was president, it is bearing fruit.

See below:

He, Regent Benham, pointed to large increases in external funding requests for research, to $73.6 million from September 2022 to March 2023, up from $29.9 million in the same time a year before.

The research awards that TSU received were not as high but still grew, to $32.4 million, up from $24.7 million over the same period, according to information presented in an April board meeting.

This is just small sample, there is much more:

As for joining a system, getting into a system for the sake getting into a system is not necessarily the panacea or solution to anything, and if you knew the real reason the state of Texas, it's oligarchs and corrupt actors want all schools in a system I'm sure you wouldn't express that sentiment so easily.

I can go at this question of joining a system a number of ways, but I'll go the simple route now and will choose to get more complex or not on another day. Usually, when people who claim they care about my TSU mention a system the first word out of their mouth is to join UT, and it is vocalized absent of any substantive thought about the real implications. Many think that UT shares money from the PUF, a 30 plus-billion-dollar endowment that makes 6 million dollars day, with all its member institutions, the truth is they don't and there is little reason to think they would with TSU without some guarantees in writing which they could easily renege on once the school is absorbed into their system.

UT Pan Am and UT Brownsville no longer exist because UT merged them and created UTRGV. Are people with your mindset prepared for TSU to likely be renamed UTAH, University of Texas at Houston, well? UTEP is the flagship university in far west Texas, and they have been part of the UT System for quite a while. Well, apparently, systems are not the cure all for all situations because if they were I doubt UTEP would repeatedly fall into issues with SACS.

See below:

The University of Texas at El Paso has been placed on “warning status” by its accrediting commission and is at risk of losing accreditation because the campus “failed to demonstrate” that it employed enough faculty members to “support the mission and goals of the institution.”

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, which accredits degree-granting higher education institutions in Texas, voted on June 15 to send UTEP a letter notifying the institution of its warning status. This is the second time in five years that UTEP gets a warning letter.
This letter states that UTEP may remain in “warning” position for up to two years. However, UTEP’s status will be reviewed in December.

The only intelligent way to go into a system is to invite all the state's university systems to court us, make them sell themselves and get some favorable guarantees in writing, guarantees that are enforceable through the courts and possibly a change to the state constitution if necessary. The folks at SFA did well to have the systems court them, but I think they may have failed to get any guarantees because they settled for promises instead, something they might come to regret later on.

See below:

For the past few months, Stephen F. Austin State University has been speed dating.

The 11,300-student school in the East Texas Piney Woods has four suitors: The Texas A&M University System, The Texas State University System, The Texas Tech University System and the University of Texas System, all vying for a chance to have the university join their ranks.

Since SFA leaders announced at the start of the fall semester that they were interested in potentially joining a system, a subcommittee of university board members has been wooed by these system leaders.

Last edited:
Back