Time to Change the conversation about college

I work with a bunch of Pyschology majors. I also remember a lot of companies hiring people with Bachelors in Business Administration and Marketing. I am not seeing that now. Many companies won't even blink at you without having a MBA.

The companies I saw back in the say hiring folks with Business Management and Marketing degrees were mostly retail or something similar. A few folks ended up with large companies in HR and in Marketing departments.

My homeboy with a Marketing degree was hired by Shell to work as a sales manager over some convenience stores in West L.A. His wife (Management degree) was initially hired by K-Mart out of college. They both work elsewhere now but still in sales.

No one saw the 2008 Market crash coming. Well some did but not many. The market did not really slow down until the end of 2007. The economy has shifted and people have been caught in it. To major in those other fields was perfectly rationale when people entered college in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006.

There is also a market for International Business, International Relations right now but you got to be willing to travel. I really feel bad for the cats that came out with me and got married right away or had kids. Them cats are getting hit hard.

Maybe because you are younger you didn't see the job markets shift before you went to college, but the demand for folks with those types of bachelors degrees tumbled well before the 2008 stock market crash.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I work with a bunch of Pyschology majors. I also remember a lot of companies hiring people with Bachelors in Business Administration and Marketing. I am not seeing that now. Many companies won't even blink at you without having a MBA.

They are still hiring, but your generation think they are to good to be managers in places that are hiring. Managing a Applebee's, TGI Friday's, Wal-greens, Rite-Aid is beneath them. They want a Boeing, Government or GM job. You change with the market. Today's folks refuse, that is why they loose out!!!

Those Master's Degrees are struggling to find jobs as well. I know plenty of people in DC with one or two Master's Degrees looking for work and this is the best job market in the country. I know a boatload of people with Master's Degrees back in Mississippi stuck working retail or at a restaraunt. I don't think you comprehend how bad the job market is for college grads right now unless you are coming out in, Healthcare, Engineering, IT, Accounting, or Science.
My little sister is getting a degree in Criminal Justic and I tried my best to talk her out of it.

The police department, the FBI, the CIA, Homeland security is alwats hiring. They think they are to good for that? That is why they will loose out. Mind sets are screwed up. Your generation has no get up and go. No survival skills. They are about titles and big names.

The police department, the FBI, the CIA, Homeland security is alwats hiring. They think they are to good for that? That is why they will loose out. Mind sets are screwed up. Your generation has no get up and go. No survival skills. They are about titles and big names.

This is true...we have this shyt bad. Y'all better go work where you need to work, to get where you're trying to get to. A job is a job in this day and time. I don't really care what my title is, long as I can make some decent loot, maintain a good lifestyle for me and my son and semi-enjoy what I'm doing. I'm always hustling doing whatever needs to be done to get these bills paid...life is all about survival now-a-days. To hell w/these big companies and titles...those same big companies will get rid of you with the quickness. I don't have time for all that "frontin" that we love to do.

Also, it's a shame that folks can't go to school and major in the field of their choice any longer. :smh: College has become a big business and is really not serving the needs they're meant to serve. Too many college graduates struggling, unemployed, underemployed, etc...it's really sad.

Cee,
Most Police Departments around the country are laying folks off. Same with Teachers. The Government is slowing down on hiring and if you are not a Veteran, it will be hell getting in for the next couple of years. I know some folks right now that would take a part-time job at Mickey D's if they could get it.

Also, it's a shame that folks can't go to school and major in the field of their choice any longer. :smh: College has become a big business and is really not serving the needs they're meant to serve. Too many college graduates struggling, unemployed, underemployed, etc...it's really sad.

It has been a big business for a while and universities are slow to change and adapt with the times. Someone needs to advise kids on selecting certain majors and honestly, if none of the grads are getting jobs in that field, the program should be eliminated all together. It makes no sense to ask taxpayers to subsidize a degree that the person will not see a ROI on.

Cee,
Most Police Departments around the country are laying folks off. Same with Teachers. The Government is slowing down on hiring and if you are not a Veteran, it will be hell getting in for the next couple of years. I know some folks right now that would take a part-time job at Mickey D's if they could get it.

Didn't a town in New Jersey layoff half its police officers a few months ago? And with unions being under attack, a lot of folks are going to lose jobs.

Addtionally, almost every state is millions in debt. And in order to ease some of that debt, teachers, firefighters and other private sector employees are being laid off in droves.

You go to a job fair and there are hundreds of thousands of people there looking for jobs. Folks saying they have been submitting hundreds of resumes to different companies and not getting a call.

When McDonald's was doing that drive-by hiring scheme a couple of weeks ago, there where folks lined up forever it seemed to apply for a job.

It's tough right now there are not enough jobs to meet the demand.

It has been a big business for a while and universities are slow to change and adapt with the times. Someone needs to advise kids on selecting certain majors and honestly, if none of the grads are getting jobs in that field, the program should be eliminated all together. It makes no sense to ask taxpayers to subsidize a degree that the person will not see a ROI on.

So, we're just gonna have all our kids come out in the same field w/the same degrees? Then what? They still won't be able to find any jobs b/c they'll all be taken still. This topic hits home for me in more ways than one...my child will be entering college in 4 years and I really worry about him, his choices & his options.

So, we're just gonna have all our kids come out in the same field w/the same degrees? Then what? They still won't be able to find any jobs b/c they'll all be taken still. This topic hits home for me in more ways than one...my child will be entering college in 4 years and I really worry about him, his choices & his options.

Not completely eliminate all options but maybe limit the number we accept into certain fields or tailor the existing fields to make them more revelant. Everyone isn't made to be an Engineer (God knows I get confused looking at all that mess) but no sense in a school producing 100 humanitities majors. There are a few options.

1) Change some programs around. Instead of having standard public relations degrees. Mix it up and have Healthcare communications, Industrial Communication, Tech Communications, International communications. (add a little specificity to the existing fields so that kids come out more marketable)

2) Create joint regular/tech degree programs. We could have Social Work/Accounting Tech degrees where a person picks up an additional skillset that would make them more competitive.

3) Discount tuition on in-demand majors. If we don't have enough kids interested in STEM, lets put some financial incentives there like loan forgiveness (similiar to what they do for teachers) or simply discount tuition.

Didn't a town in New Jersey layoff half its police officers a few months ago? And with unions being under attack, a lot of folks are going to lose jobs.

Addtionally, almost every state is millions in debt. And in order to ease some of that debt, teachers, firefighters and other private sector employees are being laid off in droves.

You go to a job fair and there are hundreds of thousands of people there looking for jobs. Folks saying they have been submitting hundreds of resumes to different companies and not getting a call.

When McDonald's was doing that drive-by hiring scheme a couple of weeks ago, there where folks lined up forever it seemed to apply for a job.

Yeah, Camden cut half of their police force. Teachers have been getting drove out in a line in some school districts.

No... kids should be able to major in whatever they want. They just need to understand their options post-grad. Some will need to go to graduate school right out of undergrad. Others may just want the college experience.

This is why I have no respct for your generation. You took one small town and use it as the whole country. Atlanta, Chicago, New York, Boston, Dallas, Houston police departments are understaffed. Why didn't you use those? Blame, blame blame. Your generation is a waste.

This is why I have no respct for your generation. You took one small town and use it as the whole country. Atlanta, Chicago, New York, Boston, Dallas, Houston police departments are understaffed. Why didn't you use those? Blame, blame blame. Your generation is a waste.

Where you get these facts from bruh? Every major news article about public employees has talked about people getting laid off or hiring freezes. Chicago just gave a test for the police force and the demand was 10x higher than the number of people they were going to accept into the academy.

In the age of google, stuff can quickly be verified or debunked. Truth is that there aren't really jobs except in a few fields and true unemployment and underployment is way higher than 10% and things are not going to really get better for most people anytime soon.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Huh? You have got to be kidding me? Do you really read and surf the net for different job fairs? AAMU had a job fair in April, all those police departments were at the fair hiring......... If you have a degree, you should pass the test. Unless you bought your degree. That is why they don't have a job in the first place. Even in a great economy everyone want get hired. Stop making excuses man and get off of yalls azz.
Where you get these facts from bruh? Every major news article about public employees has talked about people getting laid off or hiring freezes. Chicago just gave a test for the police force and the demand was 10x higher than the number of people they were going to accept into the academy.

In the age of google, stuff can quickly be verified or debunked. Truth is that there aren't really jobs except in a few fields and true unemployment and underployment is way higher than 10% and things are not going to really get better for most people anytime soon.

Huh? You have got to be kidding me? Do you really read and surf the net for different job fairs? AAMU had a job fair in April, all those police departments were at the fair hiring......... If you have a degree, you should pass the test. Unless you bought your degree. That is why they don't have a job in the first place. Even in a great economy everyone want get hired. Stop making excuses man and get off of yalls azz.

Umm, I got a job and just got a promotion.

I simply did a google for the different police departments. I saw Chicago PD's testing pool on the news a while back so I know they were being overwhelmed with applications. Plus, you can't judge based on attendance at a job fair. Especially not for public jobs. Department of Education sends people to job fairs as part of job requirements.

The companies I saw back in the say hiring folks with Business Management and Marketing degrees were mostly retail or something similar. A few folks ended up with large companies in HR and in Marketing departments.

My homeboy with a Marketing degree was hired by Shell to work as a sales manager over some convenience stores in West L.A. His wife (Management degree) was initially hired by K-Mart out of college. They both work elsewhere now but still in sales.

I don't believe this...lol

Don't tell Cee Dog that. He thinks everyone who wants a job can get one anytime they want. If only folks knew that unemployment is way higher than 10 percent. Folks would wig out in this country.

Don't tell Cee Dog that. He thinks everyone who wants a job can get one anytime they want. If only folks knew that unemployment is way higher than 10 percent. Folks would wig out in this country.

Dude you and Pops got more excuses than a crackhead with a crack pipe in rehab.

Yeah.. J4L say the kids should know better than majoring in certain fields...

smh.. that has to be the most robotic...brainwashed bs I've heard on here.. Basically saying.."Fug what you WANT TO be when you grow up...be something you have no interest in".... That sound like a controlled society.. and sad thing is he don't see that's what he basically promoting.. I wonder how long it took for him to develop that attitude...

But if I say.. business should be given tax breaks to be able to hire more graduates... he think i am sticking up for the republican party and he goes in straight "democrat soldier" mode.... smdh...

bottom line is.. government should work FOR the people.. do what's needed to help PEOPLE follow their dreams... not everybody want to be an engineer, doctor, nurse, or lawyer...smh

Dude you and Pops got more excuses than a crackhead with a crack pipe in rehab.

It ain't no excuse, bro. If ya'll actually investigate it and stopped being fed what the cable news shows tell you, then you would know what the real deal is. Real unemployment is higher than 10 percent.

The government numbers don't take in account the under employed, those who have exhausted their unemployment benefits or folks who stopped looking for work altogether.

Jobs are scare right now everywhere. Sure there are openings, but the demand is greater.

Cee must be reading that paper Ronald Reagan was reading when he said jobs were plentiful during the early 80's recession and watching Fox News.

All of you make good points, and I agree with some of what each of you have stated but can we please stop with all the personal attacks? I love y'all like a play cousin but you guys work my damn nerves sometimes, I swear. :lol: We all have different opinions and perspectives so it's all good.

Back