Tigers Earn Historic National Ranking in Men's Track & Field

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Tinsley will be looking to make history as the first athlete from a Historically Black College or University (HBCU) to win a national championship.

Incorrect (since 2000):

2005 Tremedia Brice 200 meters Texas Southern
2002 Brian Johnson Long Jump Southern

C-LeB28 said:
Incorrect (since 2000):

Tinsley will be looking to make history as the first athlete from a Historically Black College or University (HBCU) to win a national championship.

2005 Tremedia Brice 200 meters Texas Southern
2002 Brian Johnson Long Jump Southern

The quote from the article is VERY MUCH incorrect. Perhaps what the writer meant to say was that Tinsley will be looking to make history as the first athlete from a Historically Black College or University (HBCU) to win an individual Division 1 outdoor national championship. We know of plenty Div II individual outdoor champions from HBCU's.

I found it interesting that the NCAA does not recognize any women's champions in outdoor track before 1982 - only men's. When I read the quote from the article, my first thought went to those Tennessee State Tigerbelle teams that were so loaded with talent back in the 50's/60's/70's. Then I remembered that those ladies ran as a team in the AAU Championships and not the NCAA Championships because the latter did not exist for women.

Back