This Will Impact the Magic City Classic

Deuce

For years, maybe even decades, the University of Alabama has had an open date on the day of the Magic City Classic.

But with the SEC adding Oklahoma and Texas and going to a new schedule format, not only does Bama have a game on the same day as the Classic . . . it's their HOMECOMING . . . Why is this important, you ask? One word: Hotels.

And if you don't think that will impact the MCC, then go look at some hotel prices right now. I did, and it ain't pretty. And its just February. Wait until August or September, and (if there are any rooms left) they'll be even higher. Restaurants are already hard to get in that weekend. It will be three times harder now.

By the way, Bama is playing Missouri that weekend . . . a team that was much improved, and ended the season with a Bowl win over Ohio State. So expect their fans the be well represented in the city of Birmingham, and with this being Bama Coach DeBoer's first season, I expect Birmingham to be even more loaded than it normally is on MCC weekend.

Good points. Although we've had the two events the same weekends before, I dont remember UA playing a formidable opponent.

Its been a long time since that has happened . . . in fact, I don't even remember what year it was the last time that happened . . . if you want to go back almost 40 years (1986, I believe) Bama actually played a game AT LEGION FIELD on the same day as the Classic because they were working on their stadium . . . but that, as I stated, was about 40 years ago, and long before the explosion of tailgating at the Magic City Classic . . . hard to see that happening today . . .

Its been a long time since that has happened . . . in fact, I don't even remember what year it was the last time that happened . . . if you want to go back almost 40 years (1986, I believe) Bama actually played a game AT LEGION FIELD on the same day as the Classic because they were working on their stadium . . . but that, as I stated, was about 40 years ago, and long before the explosion of tailgating at the Magic City Classic . . . hard to see that happening today . . .
I believe that was the time they tried to pay us around $5000 or some other small amount to move the Classic.

Deuce, you are 100% correct concerning the hotels.

Just my 2 cents...We know each year the date of the Magic City Classic; however, Bama doesn't set their homecoming date until around late January. Therefore, we should've had the upper hand on hotel reservations. Those AAMU & ASU fans who waited will pay a steep price for a hotel near the city of Birmingham. In addition, normally the Black University Alumni does come back for the official homecoming date. They will normally comeback for the Auburn, LSU, Texas etc. game. It's called the "Black Alabama Alumni Homecoming". Recently the University of Alabama has frown on that use of language.

It’s been a while since UA has a game, I do remember it happening. Talledega racing use to conflict as well.

I already booked our rooms, we changed hotels from last year, the rates went up over $100.00.

A lot of UA grads attend the MCC.

I hope Bama loses too
I always hope they lose. I hope they play the tornados again. I enjoyed that. Wished it had knocked over that stadium.
Jamming Jay Z GIF

Them white folks go to games and go home…. And white folks homecoming ain’t NOTHING like ours… homecoming is actually the cheapest ticket of the season. Hotel prices high because ITS CLASSIC week. Even when Iron Bowl was in Birmingham… that parking lot was empty same night.

Them white folks go to games and go home…. And white folks homecoming ain’t NOTHING like ours… homecoming is actually the cheapest ticket of the season. Hotel prices high because ITS CLASSIC week. Even when Iron Bowl was in Birmingham… that parking lot was empty same night.
That is the same thing I was thinking. Some fans uses RVs. You can find hotels in the surrounding towns that are a lot closer than Birmingham.

I agree! I never hear my white colleagues talk about homecoming who went to SEC schools. And every home football game is important or "homecoming" for SEC fans, they pack it out every one. It does not have the same impact or cultural meaning as it does for HBCUs which is usually the biggest or second biggest home game of the season. Once I made more white friends in adulthood, I quickly realized Black people generally speaking party harder and longer in my opinion so no surprise white folks cleared out so quickly. Pretty much none of the white friends (over 30) I have enjoy nightlife or being out all hours of the night often. I know so many Black ppl still living that college lifestyle and are over 30

Side note: With the U.S. Supreme Court striking down affirmative action, I expect to see Alabama, UAB, and Auburn Black admits to drop and increase at ASU and AAMU. This will force more Black students to consider HBCUs, I just hope HBCUs can accommodate the growth properly

Last edited:
Now I can't speak for Alabama playing in Birmingham tailgating, partying etc... However, every game in Tuscaloosa is "white homecoming". It's tailgating all over the city due to the fact that there isn't a tailgating area around the stadium. Therefore, once the quad is at capacity the city streets and RV parks become wild. In addition, partying on Fraternity row, Sorority row, and the Strip are all night long as well.

I have experienced the SEC atmosphere and the HBCU atmosphere and I prefer the HBCU. Went to the Bayou Classic and A&M's homecoming as well as the Tennessee vs Bama and LSU vs Bama games (free tickets) last year. Hands down the HBCU experience is better for me. Others might feel different depending on their preference.

I agree! I never hear my white colleagues talk about homecoming who went to SEC schools. And every home football game is important or "homecoming" for SEC fans, they pack it out every one. It does not have the same impact or cultural meaning as it does for HBCUs which is usually the biggest or second biggest home game of the season. Once I made more white friends in adulthood, I quickly realized Black people generally speaking party harder and longer in my opinion so no surprise white folks cleared out so quickly. Pretty much none of the white friends (over 30) I have enjoy nightlife or being out all hours of the night often. I know so many Black ppl still living that college lifestyle and are over 30

Side note: With the U.S. Supreme Court striking down affirmative action, I expect to see Alabama, UAB, and Auburn Black admits to drop and increase at ASU and AAMU. This will force more Black students to consider HBCUs, I just hope HBCUs can accommodate the growth properly
Now if that ain't a lie. Old White folks go hard. Plies didn't say "White girl wasted" for nothing. Old white folks will make you get alcohol poison. They start drinking Vodka at 6 am in the morning when tailgating. The difference is white folks start early and take their azz home before the road blocks come up because they know when the sun goes down the statistics show most drivers have been drinking leaving bars, restaurants and events, while our black azz don't think the party starts until the after 9. My white neighbors pool parties start at 12 pm and by 6 or 7 pm they have cleared out. Our pool party starts at 9 and ends at 1 am when the police looking for you.

Let's not get hung up on the word "homecoming" . . . yes, I put it in all caps, and in bold . . . lol . . . and for that I sincerely apologize . . . lol

The point is that Bama will have a HOME GAME the same weekend as the Classic, and that does not normally happen. And that absolutely will cause (and already is causing) hotel prices to go up MORE THAN THEY NORMALLY DO for Classic weekend.

Only in hbcu land we over emphasize homecoming and cannibalize the rest of the schedule as that's the only time most schools will commit total resources to ensure people will show up

And then typical non informed fan only shows up for that weekend acting like we have no other games

Now if that ain't a lie. Old White folks go hard. Plies didn't say "White girl wasted" for nothing. Old white folks will make you get alcohol poison. They start drinking Vodka at 6 am in the morning when tailgating. The difference is white folks start early and take their azz home before the road blocks come up because they know when the sun goes down the statistics show most drivers have been drinking leaving bars, restaurants and events, while our black azz don't think the party starts until the after 9. My white neighbors pool parties start at 12 pm and by 6 or 7 pm they have cleared out. Our pool party starts at 9 and ends at 1 am when the police looking for you.
I never said some white ppl don't love to drink. But outside of that we are essentially saying the same thing lol

I always hope they lose. I hope they play the tornados again. I enjoyed that. Wished it had knocked over that stadium.
Jamming Jay Z GIF
Just want to make sure I understand that comment. I hope it's not the 2011 tornado that you speak. There were many deaths both black and white during the 2011 tornado. Homes destroyed, no water (contaminated), electricity non existent, school's closed, people sleeping in YMCA's etc.. It was so bad that Stillman, Shelton State and the University of Alabama students were sent home in order for people of Tuscaloosa to have the necessitates of life. It was devastating

Last edited:
Jamming Jay Z GIF
Dayam! 😱😱😱👀 That's some serious hate right there.

I hate txam and ut-austin w/ my last breath but I wouldn't wish something as destructive as a natural disaster on those folk. I simply want them to get their ass beat by anyone they play in football and mens/womens basketball.

Last edited:
Dayam! 😱😱😱👀 That's some serious hate right there.

I hate txam and ut-austin w/ my last breath but I wouldn't wish something as destructive as a natural disaster on those folk. I simply want them to get their ass beat by anyone they play in gootball and mens/womens basketball.
My sentiments exactly.

Just want to make sure I understand that comment. I hope it's not the 2011 tornado that you speak. There were many deaths both black and white during the 2011 tornado. Homes destroyed, no water (contaminated), electricity non existent, school's closed, people sleeping in YMCA's etc.. It was so bad that Stillman, Shelton State and the University of Alabama students were sent home in order for people of Tuscaloosa to have the necessitates of life. It was devastating

I remember this... that storm system had the whole south messed up for about 3 days. Luckily by the time it got to GA it had turned into just a regular line of storms.

I had just moved to South Carolina like 3 days before that storm…. Huntsville didnt have power for about a week. It was horrible… looting , robbing…everybody was in survival mode… the city had curfews because it got real dangerous at night.

We were off work for a whole week. Luckily I had a generator. We are deer, rabbit and fish all week

Back