The SWAC 101

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
As I'm not from a school in the SWAC, need clarification on the history of the conference. Who's the #1 power in the SWAC all time in:

Football?

Basketball?

sports in general?

For example in the SEC Alabama is historically a powerhouse with many conference and national championships,, arguably the dominant team in the SEC for much of the 20th century. In the SWAC my knee-jerk equivalent is Southern, Jackson State and/or Grambling but maybe historically Grambling and Jackson State have been more consistent historical powers than Southern. Is that a pretty good guestimate?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Bartram said:
As I'm not from a school in the SWAC, need clarification on the history of the conference. Who's the #1 power in the SWAC all time in:

Football?

Basketball?

sports in general?

For example in the SEC Alabama is historically a powerhouse with many conference and national championships,, arguably the dominant team in the SEC for much of the 20th century. In the SWAC my knee-jerk equivalent is Southern, Jackson State and/or Grambling but maybe historically Grambling and Jackson State have been more consistent historical powers than Southern. Is that a pretty good guestimate?

If you not from the SWAC dude. what conference are associated with?

,, oh my, ok looks like Grambling is the overall SWAC historical power with Southern right there (man poor Wiley,, no love for one of the founding pillars of the SWAC,,, and the great state of Texas hasn't controlled the SWAC since God knows when.),,, but over the last 5-7 years Alabama State and Alabama A&M (to a lesser extent) have become forces. It will be extremely interesting to see if Jackson State with Comegy can get back into the mix. Should be fun to watch over, say, the next 10 years.

Back