The Southland Conference is gaining another member

That move makes plenty of sense for them. I'm surprised that exit fee is only 2 million in 2024.

Last edited:

That move makes plenty of sense for them. I'm surprised that exit fee is only 2 million in 2024.
Most of the smaller conferences have smaller exit fees than the Power 4 due to those conferences bring in less money. I want to say the exit fee for the MEAC is only at 50,000 or whatever the annual membership fee is.

Most of the smaller conferences have smaller exit fees than the Power 4 due to those conferences bring in less money. I want to say the exit fee for the MEAC is only at 50,000 or whatever the annual membership fee is.
What I was getting at is the WAC routinely loses members to other conferences. The MWC and C-USA have feasted off of them for years. It would seem that they would have a stiffer exit fee by now to help discourage so much movement through their conference to others. The way things are now, they are basically a transition conference.

What I was getting at is the WAC routinely loses members to other conferences. The MWC and C-USA have feasted off of them for years. It would seem that they would have a stiffer exit fee by now to help discourage so much movement through their conference to others. The way things are now, they are basically a transition conference.
I think the WAC and other smaller conferences know that they might be a transition conference for the large conferences and thus have to find the balance on the exit fee in order get new members to sign. If the exit fee is too high new schools might not want to sign if they think they are not going to be in that conference long term.

What I find interesting is the deal between Utah and the university of Colorado in the Big 12. From my understanding Utah does not have to pay an exit fee if they leave, but University of Colorado is locked in from switching for a specific amount of years unless they pay a big exit fee.

Back