The NEXT SWAC-NFL Icon?

Mr. SWAC

F*** THE LAKERS!!!!!!
With the older generation fading out (Jerry Rice, Steve McNair, Michael Strahan), who out of the newer generation will carry the flag of the SWAC as well as be the next NFL Icon, thruthfully? Do we even have anyone else?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Possibly Robert Mathis. He led the Colts in sacks last year with 11.5 in only 13 games AND HE WASNT EVEN A STARTER. Last year he had 10.5 sacks. I was hoping he would get away from Indianapolis and not have to play in Dwight Freeney's shadow but the Colts were looking to sign him long term and my guess is that they will give him what he wants. Personally, I think he is better than Indy's other DE (Raheem Brock).

different breed of athletes coming out now....it's hard to say...when the SWAC had marquee players, they were drafted instantly...but the ones we promote heavily now don't even get drafted..weird

but also...we don't do a great job of sustaining success....when JSU had 2 in the first round back in 2000...there should've 2 more high profile guys taking their places to continue to tradition....WR and DB became their weak areas after that

I agree with what you said GramFan. Right now, because he is the back up DE for Raheem Brock, he's listed in the Pro Bowl balloting as a special teamer only. He should have made the Pro Bowl last year.

tbf,
Is it really a different caliber athlete from the SWAC that makes the NFL these days? I think we may have come up a little short recently on the positions that get all the attention (QB, WR, RB, LB, etc.), but I think there is gonna be a resurgence come the next two years. Right now, we've got 2 new QBs in the NFL, Cortez Hankton is doing pretty well where he is as well as Randy Hymes. Could one of these be the next NFL icons?

GramFan said:
Possibly Robert Mathis. He led the Colts in sacks last year with 11.5 in only 13 games AND HE WASNT EVEN A STARTER. Last year he had 10.5 sacks. I was hoping he would get away from Indianapolis and not have to play in Dwight Freeney's shadow but the Colts were looking to sign him long term and my guess is that they will give him what he wants. Personally, I think he is better than Indy's other DE (Raheem Brock).

Freeney helps him gets sack, he gets single coverage. Thats a dream, I think he will start soon, especially if he can continue to put up double digit sacks each year.

Mr. SWAC said:
Right now, we've got 2 new QBs in the NFL, Cortez Hankton is doing pretty well where he is as well as Randy Hymes.

Have you seen Cortez's stats? He was injured most of last season but even before then he played sparingly.

C-LeB28 said:
Have you seen Cortez's stats? He was injured most of last season but even before then he played sparingly.
No I didn't see his stats from last season, but when I did see him play the season before, I was impressed. I'm expecting him to be a major contributer within the next year.

enswaclopedia said:
Nobody still has not told me who the hell is this Mickey Dean and what has he done to get so many posts on him.
Mr. Dean posts for himself. That's how he gets so many posts on him.......

nut11thward said:
Freeney helps him gets sack, he gets single coverage. Thats a dream, I think he will start soon, especially if he can continue to put up double digit sacks each year.
Just goes to show you how good Mathis could be. Brock has been starting the last two years and only has 13 sacks compared to Mathis who has 22 over the same time period. Just as Freeney frees up Mathis in single coverage he does the same for Brock.

GramFan said:
Just goes to show you how good Mathis could be. Brock has been starting the last two years and only has 13 sacks compared to Mathis who has 22 over the same time period. Just as Freeney frees up Mathis in single coverage he does the same for Brock.

While Mathis is a very good rusher on passing downs, his size makes him a liability as an every down DE. You also can't discount that he gets those sacks in part because he can come in the game fresh and do one thing only, and not get beat up all game playing against the run.

For whatever reason this past season CBS showed the Colts quite a bit in this part of the country. I watched several of their games and saw that he is no longer just a situational pass rusher. He plays quite a bit and not just on third down. According to NFL.com, he led the Colts defensive linemen in total tackles (56) and sacks, ranking 8th on the team in tackles behind the defensive backs and linebackers. On top of that he had 25 special teams tackles. I understand that he is smallish for an NFL defensive end but that dude has a motor and made some offensive linemen look terribly bad this past year. Ya never know, there may be a day when the Colts decide to use him as a pass rushing linebacker out of the 3-4.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
GramFan said:
For whatever reason this past season CBS showed the Colts quite a bit in this part of the country. I watched several of their games and saw that he is no longer just a situational pass rusher. He plays quite a bit and not just on third down. According to NFL.com, he led the Colts defensive linemen in total tackles (56) and sacks, ranking 8th on the team in tackles behind the defensive backs and linebackers. On top of that he had 25 special teams tackles. I understand that he is smallish for an NFL defensive end but that dude has a motor and made some offensive linemen look terribly bad this past year. Ya never know, there may be a day when the Colts decide to use him as a pass rushing linebacker out of the 3-4.

Mathis is a bad boy! Extremely talented........

JROCK said:
Mathis is a bad boy! Extremely talented........

Brings it on every down...I think he has pro bowl ability! We still have some young guys in the league...Fakhir Brown (ICON) @ St. Louis and Donald Driver (Alc) @ Green Bay...who are starters (Brown started at NO but signed as a free agent with Rams).

At start of thread, Aeneas Williams (SU) and Jimmy Smith (JSU) was overlooked...two veeeeery good players in the league and possible HOF'ers (especially Williams). Smith is worthy, but the competition for HOF consideration at his position will make it tough.

I think Hatcher and T. Jackson gone be ok. One of them receivers from Alcorn may be special, and I think Tyler Knight gone make some noise when he switches to strong safety in the NFL.

Mr. SWAC said:
I agree with what you said GramFan. Right now, because he is the back up DE for Raheem Brock, he's listed in the Pro Bowl balloting as a special teamer only. He should have made the Pro Bowl last year.

tbf,
Is it really a different caliber athlete from the SWAC that makes the NFL these days? I think we may have come up a little short recently on the positions that get all the attention (QB, WR, RB, LB, etc.), but I think there is gonna be a resurgence come the next two years. Right now, we've got 2 new QBs in the NFL, Cortez Hankton is doing pretty well where he is as well as Randy Hymes. Could one of these be the next NFL icons?

Greg Wesley-Kansas City Cheifs DB Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Roderick Green-Oakland Raiders OT UAPB
Courtney Van Buren-Detroit Lions-OT-UAPB
Dante Wesley-Chicago Bears-DB-UAPB

And maybe my man MICKEY DEAN in 2008

UAPB got quality players in the pros just like the other SWAC teams:lol:

Back