Texas Prop 5 Excludes TSU & PVU

Question for all against it (I voted against also). What parameters would be better for PV and TSU to meet for this particular type of funding?
Once the legislation gained momentum Royce wasn't going against the NTU constituency no more than the black legislators down here were going to go against the U of H constituency.

That is an interesting thought you have about an alliance that potentially could have worked between our national alumni associations with UT and TAMU, but it has been said politics make strange bed-fellows.

Question for all against it (I voted against also). What parameters would be better for PV and TSU to meet for this particular type of funding?
The 400M endowment requirement is the problem. It is also the goal post that will be moved to an upward figure to maintain the status quo in the future.

Currently TSU's endowment is 85M, and PV's is 135M. All of the other requirements can be met over time with focus, determination and scholarships.

I got an email from former Texas State Representative Garnet Coleman, urging people to vote for Prop 5.
i don't know idk GIF by Robert E Blackmon

I got an email from former Texas State Representative Garnet Coleman, urging people to vote for Prop 5.
i don't know idk GIF by Robert E Blackmon't know idk GIF by Robert E Blackmon
He is still carrying their water. Remember, his state representative district included TSU and UH. As you know, Jolanda Jones is the representative for that district now. She has been quiet because politically it isn't in her best interest to go against the UH constituency. She is also an alumnus of UH, so they will always have her back long as she stays on their good side.

Voted no but as of my latest notifications it looks like it passed.

Proposition 11: El Paso County parks — 64.39% for, 35.61% against
Proposition 4: Authorizing property tax cuts — 84.05% for, 15.95% against

These two are others that is going to comeback and bite us.

One takes (property tax )funding from public schools. While it won't hurt in the long run Allen ISD-it will Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth and a few other larger (diverse ones).

Voted no but as of my latest notifications it looks like it passed.
BP,

Unfortunately, there was never any organized resistance against it, and the legislation was drafted to give key regions within the state a reason to vote for it. Observe the locations of the universities that will benefit and it becomes obvious.

The TUF is the result of a compromise between the state with the Lubbock Chamber of Commerce, and two Lubbock area legislators to leave the PUF unscathed. Texas black state legislators failed to get out in front of this so they could leverage any benefit for Texas public HBCUs, and because they did so they have purposely chose to remain silent. They are likely very happy most black Texans are oblivious and will remain so about their ineptitude from start to finish on this matter. With the passage of Prop 5 they will go on about their business with selective amnesia.

Last edited:
Royce west came out in favor of Prop 5. If both schools' alumni association atleast gave a damn we would strangley have a built in coalition with UT and A&M grads because alot of them are against it just because.
And that's my thing. TSU and PV can have all the money in the world but if we have bad leadership none of that matters. PV and TSU is honestly in the same boat. And despite PV performing slightly better on academic metrics than us they are still not spectacular or among the best in the state Academically we are not on par with the majority of our peer Texas institutions. We need the right leadership to get us there but it hasn't happened yet. Like I said in the other forum, the majority of bright and academically talented Black high school students laugh at the thought of attending PV or TSU and that's a problem our leadership needs to fix. If we cant get most of the best of us to respect us, how can we expect for anyone else to take us seriously

Last edited:
You would think with what is going on with the Land Grant HBCUS that this would have been away for the state of Texas to start funding PVAM more. PVAM ranks in the top 4 (SU, TnSU, FAMU)
I voted No. However, PV is part of the TX A&M System. They are the ones made them give up football years ago.

Back