Texas Prop 5 Excludes TSU & PVU

LAW DAWG

TSU LOVE

Proposition 5 on Texas ballot would create new endowment for ‘emerging’ research universities​

If approved, the new fund would provide tens of millions of dollars to the University of Houston, Texas Tech, Texas State University and University of North Texas.

This is the face of systemic racism in 2023 folks.

Last edited:
I'll say this to all graduates and attendees of HBCUs, especially public HBCUs, the Texas Legislative Black Caucus dropped the ball on this to a magnitude that defies comprehension.

I'll say this to all graduates and attendees of HBCUs, especially public HBCUs, the Texas Legislative Black Caucus dropped the ball on this to a magnitude that defies comprehension.

Does TXSU & PV meet the requirements? That’s not to say the legislature didn’t set criterion’s to disenfranchise the two…Does the TLBC have enough votes/power to negate the criterion or alter it?

Does TXSU & PV meet the requirements? That’s not to say the legislature didn’t set criterion’s to disenfranchise the two…Does the TLBC have enough votes/power to negate the criterion or alter it?
The initial requirements were reachable over time, but on the back end of the legislative process out of nowhere, but obviously on purpose, an additional requirement that each school have an endowment of north of 400M was included.

At this point there is nothing the the TLBC can do. The time for intervention was during the initial stages of the legislative process when a deal could have been struck to get the support of the TLBC and black community. Every step beyond the initial stages of the legislative process process coincidentally served to deleverage the need for the TLBCs support.

The only hope now is for Prop 5 to be voted down at the ballot box so everything will have to go back to the drawing board. Unfortunately, there has been very little focus on Prop 5 and its implications for Texas HBCUs. In part, that can also be blamed on the Texas Legislative Black Caucus. They know they have failed black Texans big time on this so they have no political interest in shedding light on it.

I will post more later, what I reveal will leave you further shaking your head.

The initial requirements were reachable over time, but on the back end of the legislative process out of nowhere, but obviously on purpose, an additional requirement that each school have an endowment of north of 400M was included.

At this point there is nothing the the TLBC can do. The time for intervention was during the initial stages of the legislative process when a deal could have been struck to get the support of the TLBC and black community. Every step beyond the initial stages of the legislative process process coincidentally served to deleverage the need for the TLBCs support.

The only hope now is for Prop 5 to be voted down at the ballot box so everything will have to go back to the drawing board. Unfortunately, there has been very little focus on Prop 5 and its implications for Texas HBCUs. In part, that can also be blamed on the Texas Legislative Black Caucus. They know they have failed black Texans big time on this so they have no political interest in shedding light on it.

I will post more later, what I reveal will leave you further shaking your head.
I voted no on Tuesday

Both schools/alumni associations, Black caucus,etc are failing stakeholders by not getting the word out to vote no
Neither of those entities want to answer up for dropping the ball along the way. What is equally sad is black folks in Houston probably can kill Prop 5 by themselves. There will be a low turn-out at the polls state wide, but turn out in Houston will be higher than the rest of the state because there is a mayoral election taking place here.

Storm to be honest, I'm starting to feel like some folks took the bag on this one. None of what has taken place thus far makes sense.

You would think with what is going on with the Land Grant HBCUS that this would have been away for the state of Texas to start funding PVAM more. PVAM ranks in the top 4 (SU, TnSU, FAMU)

You would think with what is going on with the Land Grant HBCUS that this would have been away for the state of Texas to start funding PVAM more. PVAM ranks in the top 4 (SU, TnSU, FAMU)

PV gets funding from the Permanent University Fund but there hasn't been enough talk about the lack of state match for federal land grant funding on our end. Thats why I have little faith in our national alumni association

The black Caucus should be ashamed of themselves. You cannot tell me that when this legislation was being created, they did not know what was going on. Either they did not care and thought HBCU grads in Texas would not catch it until after it passed or they were not doing their jobs. Does anybody know if any of the black caucus legislators are on the educational committee? For that fact that this is a program that will be funding. It’s a shame that just this year if passed Texas Tech would receive $44 million in the first year; UH would receive $48 million; Texas State could get $22 million and UNT would receive $21 million, according to state budget figures. For the fact that both State (HBCUS) are R2 universities and was not included or even considered with other stipulations is beyond sad. Even something as benchmarks that they had to reach by periods of time, would have been something, but to be excluded all together is sad. I am pretty sure the private schools (SMU, Rice Baylor) will probably be included next time.

The black Caucus should be ashamed of themselves. You cannot tell me that when this legislation was being created, they did not know what was going on. Either they did not care and thought HBCU grads in Texas would not catch it until after it passed or they were not doing their jobs. Does anybody know if any of the black caucus legislators are on the educational committee? For that fact that this is a program that will be funding. It’s a shame that just this year if passed Texas Tech would receive $44 million in the first year; UH would receive $48 million; Texas State could get $22 million and UNT would receive $21 million, according to state budget figures. For the fact that both State (HBCUS) are R2 universities and was not included or even considered with other stipulations is beyond sad. Even something as benchmarks that they had to reach by periods of time, would have been something, but to be excluded all together is sad. I am pretty sure the private schools (SMU, Rice Baylor) will probably be included next time.
JAGSC,

This is a failure and collapse of a magnitude beyond belief. I found out about the legislation in the month of May, 2023, and promptly emailed the chair of Texas Legislative Black Caucus (TLBC). I never received a response from him nor his office staff. I called his capitol office and constituent office multiple times, repeatedly left messages at both numbers and he nor his staff ever called me back. I tried for weeks but there was no reply by email nor a call back. I know a few people down this way, so I was able to get both of his cell numbers from people who knew how serious I was about this issue. I called that brother repeatedly, left messages, explained the issue thoroughly, and as of this day I still have yet to hear a peep from him. I was cordial with each and every message I sent, and every email was sent in a respectful and courteous manner as well. The brother dropped the baton and would not pick it back up.

I believe the TLBC knew they screwed up and hoped some of us would not find about the legislation, but I wrote to the local black weekly papers here in Houston back in June or July. They were late as hell in writing stories about it, but they eventually did in August after the major white daily printed it in their paper first.

It is a sad commentary how many folks dropped the ball on this. Don't even get me started our national alumni association. Them negroes were more concerned about a well funded homecoming than legislation Texas public HBCUs would have benefitted from perpetually.

As for your questions, one black person is on the house Higher Education Committee and three are on the Appropriations Committee. One is an alumnus of TSU, I could kick him square in the azz, but he has been very dependable in the past.

As for the state senate, there is a brother on the Senate Finance Committee and that same brother sits on the Senate Higher Education Subcommittee. He has a lot of influence, but he did not use it.

The Texas Legislative Black Caucus is comprised of twenty elected officials. Some of them have been dependable in the past, but this time it didn't happen.

Below is the chair of TLBC, and someone that believes he doesn't have to answer to black Texans:

1699312419887.png
member-page

JAGSC,

This is a failure and collapse of a magnitude beyond belief. I found out about the legislation in the month of May, 2023, and promptly emailed the chair of Texas Legislative Black Caucus (TLBC). I never received a response from him nor his office staff. I called his capitol office and constituent office multiple times, repeatedly left messages at both numbers and he nor his staff ever called me back. I tried for weeks but there was no reply by email nor a call back. I know a few people down this way, so I was able to get both of his cell numbers from people who knew how serious I was about this issue. I called that brother repeatedly, left messages, explained the issue thoroughly, and as of this day I still have yet to hear a peep from him. I was cordial with each and every message I sent, and every email was sent in a respectful and courteous manner as well. The brother dropped the baton and would not pick it back up.

I believe the TLBC knew they screwed up and hoped some of us would not find about the legislation, but I wrote to the local black weekly papers here in Houston back in June or July. They were late as hell in writing stories about it, but they eventually did in August after the major white daily printed it in their paper first.

It is a sad commentary how many folks dropped the ball on this. Don't even get me started our national alumni association. Them negroes were more concerned about a well funded homecoming than legislation Texas public HBCUs would have benefitted from perpetually.

As for your questions, one black person is on the house Higher Education Committee and three are on the Appropriations Committee. One is an alumnus of TSU, I could kick him square in the azz, but he has been very dependable in the past.

As for the state senate, there is a brother on the Senate Finance Committee and that same brother sits on the Senate Higher Education Subcommittee. He has a lot of influence, but he did not use it.

The Texas Legislative Black Caucus is comprised of twenty elected officials. Some of them have been dependable in the past, but this time it didn't happen.

Below is the chair of TLBC, and someone that believes he doesn't have to answer to black Texans:

View attachment 18536
member-page

This is bad beyond belief

JAGSC,

View attachment 18536
member-page

Royce west came out in favor of Prop 5. If both schools' alumni association atleast gave a damn we would strangley have a built in coalition with UT and A&M grads because alot of them are against it just because.

Royce west came out in favor of Prop 5. If both schools' alumni association atleast gave a damn we would strangley have a built in coalition with UT and A&M grads because alot of them are against it just because.
Once the legislation gained momentum Royce wasn't going against the NTU constituency no more than the black legislators down here were going to go against the U of H constituency.

That is an interesting thought you have about an alliance that potentially could have worked between our national alumni associations with UT and TAMU, but it has been said politics make strange bed-fellows.

Last edited:
Back