Tarver vs. Hopkins

Robber said:
Wasn't his trainer named Panama Lewis or something. I think he got banned from training fighters, eventually. I could be wrong.

That's him, he didn't get banned but he got suspended, but he's still around, he doesn't train fighters as much, but he serves as an advisor. You see him at just about every big fight, sitting their looking like a Carribbean sailor.

NICE

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
NASTYNUPE said:
Tarver is fighting a horrible fight. Damn!!!

Hopkins has a way of doing that to opponents. He put on an absolute clinic against Tarver, it was a systematic dismantling of one of the top fighters in the world.

Hopkins fought this fight the way he should have fought Jermain Taylor. He was not gonna just give away early rounds. He simply schooled Tarver. Tarver looked and acted like he had no energy.

Total domination.

Robber said:
Hopkins fought this fight the way he should have fought Jermain Taylor. He was not gonna just give away early rounds. He simply schooled Tarver. Tarver looked and acted like he had no energy.

Total domination.

You ain't never lied about that pottna, that was a good ol fashioned arse kicking. Hopkins looked like the old Hopkins last night, and nothing like the fighter that lumbered between two lackluster fights against a youngster.

Schit, Hopkins hasn't looked that good, and dominant since the Keith Holmes, and Trinidad fights. I don't know if I gave Tarver 3 rounds.

Now Tarver knows how Roy Jones felt in their first fight, when Jones had to drop dayum near 50 pounds to fight him. Nothing like a good arse kicking to humble somebody though. Last night was the first time in 3 years, I didn't have to listen to Tarver either crying, or bragging about the outcome of a fight. I guess he won't be beyotching to HBO about putting him on the right side of the tv screen again.

NICE

When you start making movies and you are in every damn rap video, this is what happens. Fighters get soft when they start that mess....right Roy?

The same thing is going to happen to Winky Wright. Winky is in every damn video that comes on TV.

'Executioner' ruthlessly efficient in final bout
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. -- It was a masterpiece, simple as that.
Bernard Hopkins is going out on top after thoroughly dominating Antonio Tarver to win the light heavyweight world championship Saturday night in a performance of historical proportions.

Hopkins, who made a division-record 20 middleweight title defenses before suffering back-to-back disputed decision losses to Jermain Taylor last year, moved up two weight classes for a shot at Tarver in what he promised would be the final fight of an 18-year, obvious Hall of Fame career.
Before an electric crowd of 10,200 at Boardwalk Hall, Hopkins (47-4-1) pulled off what his boxing idol, Sugar Ray Robinson, failed to do. In 1952, Robinson, who was the reigning middleweight champ, challenged light heavyweight champ Joey Maxim at Yankee Stadium. Although he was leading after 13 rounds, the 100-plus-degree heat had taken its toll, and Robinson quit on his stool because of heat exhaustion.

Not only did Hopkins win the 175-pound title, he did it with ease, including a fifth-round knockdown. From the first round through the 12th, Hopkins was in control in a fight almost as easy as his upset win agaist Felix Trinidad to become undisputed middleweight champ in 2002.

Get Ready said:
When you start making movies and you are in every damn rap video, this is what happens. Fighters get soft when they start that mess....right Roy?

The same thing is going to happen to Winky Wright. Winky is in every damn video that comes on TV.
I only watch videos when someone tells me it's a must see. So, Winky is doing like that, huh???

We'll see if he pays for it in 2 weeks against Jermain Taylor.

Get Ready said:

Say it ain't so, Wink, Say it ain't so....:lol: I was wrong about the Hopkins-Tarver fight but I'm glad to see Hopkins hang it up while on top.

Robber said:
I only watch videos when someone tells me it's a must see. So, Winky is doing like that, huh???

Yeah he's in one of Jamie Foxx's vids. But I don't think it'll affect him against Taylor. Making a couple of videos and shooting an entire movie is too different things.

Tarver, on the other hand, was exposed for what he is, an overrated fighter. Sure losing 40lbs didn't help his cause, but I never thought he was that good to begin with. All he has on his resume is 2 wins over a washed-up Roy Jones and a win over an equally overrated Glen Johnson. Not exactly the stuff of legends.

What he should do now is put that weight back on and see if he can get a few paydays as a heavyweight.

JSU/99 said:
Yeah he's in one of Jamie Foxx's vids. But I don't think it'll affect him against Taylor. Making a couple of videos and shooting an entire movie is too different things.

Tarver, on the other hand, was exposed for what he is, an overrated fighter. Sure losing 40lbs didn't help his cause, but I never thought he was that good to begin with. All he has on his resume is 2 wins over a washed-up Roy Jones and a win over an equally overrated Glen Johnson. Not exactly the stuff of legends.

What he should do now is put that weight back on and see if he can get a few paydays as a heavyweight.

Very true, and aside from the knockout punch against Jones, he didn't look that impressive in any of those three fights. Not to mention he actually lost the first fight against Johnson, a career journeyman level fighter. I agree that his only real option is to try to move up to heavyweight, his performance last night (or lack thereof) probably eliminated and hope he might have had of getting Taylor or Wright to move up to fight him.

DonTiger said:
I have a lot of respect for Hopkins though. I have yet to see him get beat-up and those two Taylor fights both had 'debatable' decisions and Taylor is the best young fighter out there.

I take Hopkins in a one sided decision.

I must be psychic :nod2:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Butch Wms. said:
Hey guys,

How did Tarver's post-fight interview go?

Very humble. I've yet to see him at a lost for words the way he was Saturday night, but the arse kicking he took has a way of doing that to folk. Surprisingly though, as most fighters dow when they lose, he didn't ask for a rematch, and being honest he doesn't deserve one. The decision was right, he got his arse kicked unanimously, and never really posed a serious threat in the fight, I know I don't want to see a rematch.

I really hope Hopkins retires, but with boxers, if the right payday comes along, and if Ring Magazine/HBO/Showtime/Friday Night Fights, hypes up a fight with a current champ, and a retired fighter enough, more than likely that retired fighter will come out for the payday. I'm surprised Lennox Lewis didn't come back to fight Klitcsko for the 20+ million that was thrown at him.

Rob, if Winky has been bullshciting, it'll show, because Taylor is being trained by Emanuel Steward now, so I expect him to be a little more aggressive against Taylor than he was against Hopkins, and I think he needs an impressive win against Winky, to shut all of the doubters up for his 2 close wins against Hopkins.

NICE

D-NICE,

I'm glad he didn't come on making excuses or questioning the decision.I just wondered because he was talking big noise before the fight.

It's always sad to see guys that have conquered PUNK ROY fight each other. I think it's like brothers fighting brothers. But it's clear to me that Hopkins will FIGHT AGAIN; and more specifically, he'll fight The Punkish One. If Roy Boy beats this Prince Abubu (or whatever), then it's a set up for a good bye Christmas present for both guys. One last fight for Hopkins in which he would dominate Roy and KO him in 4. It will be the easist $5 MILLION Hopkins can make.

JSU/99,

Clearly you didn't watch the fight like I did. Don't believe the judges; believe ME. The Punkish One lost that fight, just like he lost the first Tarver fight. But around Christmas you'll see the TRUTH again. Punk Roy will be koed in 4 by Hopkins. Even hardcore Roy Jones rap fans know what's up if they fought again. Roy has nothing left.

LaMont said:
JSU/99,

Clearly you didn't watch the fight like I did. Don't believe the judges; believe ME. The Punkish One lost that fight, just like he lost the first Tarver fight. But around Christmas you'll see the TRUTH again. Punk Roy will be koed in 4 by Hopkins. Even hardcore Roy Jones rap fans know what's up if they fought again. Roy has nothing left.

You won't get any arguments from me about Roy having nothing left. But he did beat Hopkins in that first fight. Even Hopkins acknowledges that fact.

The first Tarver fight was close, but I gave Jones the edge because he finished stronger than Tarver did. The judges and most of those who don't hate Roy Jones agreed.

Finally, I don't see Hopkins mixing it up with Roy. First of all, Roy has to get past this scrub he's fighting next month and I'm not sure he can. Second, there probably isn't much interest in a Hopkins-Jones fight at this point anyway.

Hopkins said after the fight Saturday that he wasn't going to give Roy Jones a rematch, and I don't blame him. I know that could be financial posturing on Hopkins' part, but at this point in their careers, Hopkins doesn't need Roy to solidify his career, the way Roy needs a big win over Hopkins for his.

I'm no Roy hater, but at this point, the tank is empty (or at least so it seems), but he did beat Hopkins in their first fight, and it wasn't even close, and with a broken hand for the last 9 1/2 rounds.

NICE

Robber said:

Total domination.

It was a boxing clinic he put on Tarver. He showed people how to beat Tarver. Damn, I wish I could turn back the clock and see some more of the great fighter like Pryor, Arguello, Leonard, or Hagler with some of the fighters of today.

For those of you who didn't see the fight,I'm sure HBO will have it on on Saturday night.That's why I don't do PPV.I'm gonna see it the next week anyway.And plus it's too expensive.

Let's just come clean. Tarver beat Roy, but Tarver aint no great fighter. That why he got whipped by a tall, smart fighter. Roy was through after he beat Ruiz, he should have quit. Taylor beat Bernard, but Taylor aint no great champ either and Winky is going to beat his ass.

Back