Tarver vs. Hopkins

BulldogM.Ed.23

Bulldog Fan/Supporter
So what do you all think about this fight? I've always liked Hopkins but I can't get over the age factor. We'll see................,

If Tarver doesn't beat Hopkins up, he should quit. Tarver is a big light heavyweight. He should treat Hopkins like he's a little old dude. And after watching Hopkins be afraid to take a shot from Jermain Taylor, I'm sure he's gonna be real timid against Tarver.

Tarver W12 Hopkins

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The only reason Hopkins won't get knocked out within 6 rounds is because of his great ring savvy. Tarver in 12.

Get Ready wouldnt watch this fight if it was the only thing on TV.
Hopkins is a good fighter, but he makes me sick with his style.

I sure miss Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Thomas Hearns, and Roberto Duran.

Real fighters, real fights.

There are some real fighters now...but most of these cats are only interested in being in the next rap video.

Get Ready said:
There are some real fighters now...but most of these cats are only interested in being in the next rap video.

So true, so true.

The fighters of yesterday fought all comers, it didn't matter if they knew they'd win, or get knocked the phugg out, they dared to be great. Today's fighters would much rather go up in weight class, and fight an inferior "champion" instead of fighting another good fighter in their own weight class.

They also give HBO, and Showtime too much power. I know the purses are bigger nowadays, but dayum, I get tired of watching fighters fight "the" big fight when one of them is way past their prime.

People can say what they want about De La Hoya, but dude has fought every great fighter of this era except Roy Jones, and for that he gets my respect.

I was a huge Hopkins fan, but both Taylor fights left a lot to be desired, and at this stage of his career, Hopkins is now the fighter he always complained about. He's a money hungry, camera starved fighter, who seems like he wanted the flashing lights of being champion all along, he's definitely fighting the establishments fight now. He's not event the executioner anymore, he's B-Hop. Phugging sell out.

Agreeing with Robber, if Tarver doesn't beat the stuffing out of Hopkins, he should join Roy Jones in the traveling, pay me for a boxing exihibition tour.

NICE

Hopkins gets the most out of his ability. A very smart fighter who uses all the tricks. Step on your toe and hit you. He uses his elbows and shoulders a lot to get rough with you. And he is tough to hit with a square shot. But Tarver can use his movement and hand speed to get away from Hopkins rough inside fighting game. Hopkins is no longer able to throw the amount of punches Tarver can. But remember, Tarver is no young guy but in the ring Hopkins is much older. Tarver W12 over Hopkins.

Get Ready said:
Get Ready wouldnt watch this fight if it was the only thing on TV.
Hopkins is a good fighter, but he makes me sick with his style.

I would watch it no doubt.....BUT PAY FOR IT !!! NEVER !

Both of these fighters are defensive 'counter punch' type fighters. Neither has an aggressive, attacking style. I predict a 12 round 'waltz' with a lot of clutching and grabbing. Doesn't make for an entertaining fight at all.

I have a lot of respect for Hopkins though. I have yet to see him get beat-up and those two Taylor fights both had 'debatable' decisions and Taylor is the best young fighter out there.

I take Hopkins in a one sided decision.

D-NICE said:
People can say what they want about De La Hoya, but dude has fought every great fighter of this era except Roy Jones, and for that he gets my respect.

Say that there Nice,

I was a Delahoya hater until the Trinidad fight. I watched that dude clown Trinidad. Put on a boxing clinic against this dude. Out land him nearly 3 to one. BUT LOST THE DECISION. I developed a whole lot of respect for him after that. And since then, he aint done nothing but TAKE ON ALL COMERS any where near his weight class for a belt or not. After what that dude did to Mayorga, you can't tell me nothin' 'bout Delahoya. That dude is real wit it !

DonTiger said:
Winky !! Wink !!

Now I'd like to see Winky and Delahoya get at it.

Now, that's a FIGHT. Winky is one of the best out there but I don't know if many boxing fans know that. No one wants to fight him. I also viewed De La Hoya as a pretty boy boxer who could be bullied until he started fighting anyone who wanted to fight him. Remember how he beat down Vargas after Vargas was talking all that noise. I still would give Winky the edge over De La Hoya, but I must admit the Golden Boy can't be discounted. He has really won me over.

Diesel said:
I sure miss Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Thomas Hearns, and Roberto Duran.

Real fighters, real fights.

Damn you bringing back some memories now. Those guys was the real deal back in the day. Do you remember Alex Auergrillo (sp) and Aaron Pryor?

I can't stand either one of em. Tarver is black and greasy(plus he whooped up on Roy)...and I just don't like Hopkins. I think I dislike Hopkins the most out of the two. So I won't be mad if Tarver wins.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Croft84 said:
Damn you bringing back some memories now. Those guys was the real deal back in the day. Do you remember Alex Auergrillo (sp) and Aaron Pryor?
Now THAT was a classic battle. I was the biggest Arguello fan, ever since he destroyed Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini. But Aaron Pryor was simply unreal. He had the heart, chin, power and stamina to just keep going. I wanted to cry when Pryor stopped Arguello in the 14th.

Ain't Winky Wright and Jermain Taylor fighting in the next couple of weeks???

Croft84 said:

Man, you brought back some good memories. That was one of my all-time greatest fights. I watched that one Live on TV in the early 1980s. I was young but I remember it was a war. Alexis Arguello was a boxer-puncher, much like De La Hoya is now. Aaron Pryor was a boxer who just kept coming at you with power shots. Both fighters just stood toe-toe all night. Arguello used his reach well but Pryor kept getting closer and closer. Arguello actually was the favorite in the fight. But Pryor was an undefeated contender. About the 14th round Pryor lit into Arguello with some vicious blows sending him to the ropes and stopping the fight. TKO. This fight is a must see if you can find it on ESPN Classic.

Robber said:
Now THAT was a classic battle. I was the biggest Arguello fan, ever since he destroyed Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini. But Aaron Pryor was simply unreal. He had the heart, chin, power and stamina to just keep going. I wanted to cry when Pryor stopped Arguello in the 14th.

Ain't Winky Wright and Jermain Taylor fighting in the next couple of weeks???

Yeah Rob, they fight in 2 weeks.

Arguello was the man coming out of Nicaragua, Pryor was just too much for him to handle. I still get pissed at Sugar Ray for robbing me out of what could've been a monster fight with Aaron Pryor. Sugar fought the great Jr welterweight to welterweights in his day, but he didn't want no parts of The Hawk.

Don T, the Golden Boy has always went to battle with the best of the best. From Genaro Hernandez, Rafael Ruelas, Sweet Pea (I thought Pernell got robbed), Chavez, to the Trinidad's, Hopkins, Vargas', Mayorga's, Quartey's, and Mosley's of the world.

I've never been a Golden Boy fan, but I can honestly say he's never ducked anybody from the great lightweights to middleweights of this era. He may have gotten some close decisions (which is why I didn't like him), but he stood in there, and didn't run in the ring (well except the last 3 rounds of the Trinidad fight which he dominated thinking he had it won).

NICE

D-NICE said:
Sweet Pea (I thought Pernell got robbed),the last 3 rounds of the Trinidad fight which he dominated thinking he had it won).

NICE
SO true !But that's boxing in the Don King era

Mr. Tiger said:
But Pryor was an undefeated contender.
Correction. Pryor was the defending champion in that fight. Arguello was stepping up from lightweight to junior welterweight/super lightweight and challenged Pryor for his title.

Diesel said:
But wasn't Pryor on that dope when they fought.
That's the allegation, but it was never proven. His trainer is on camera asking for a special bottle he mixed for Pryor around rounds 10-12. Nobody knows what he put in it. We do know that Pryor found another gear and finished Arguello off.

Robber said:
That's the allegation, but it was never proven. His trainer is on camera asking for a special bottle he mixed for Pryor around rounds 10-12. Nobody knows what he put in it. We do know that Pryor found another gear and finished Arguello off.

:nod: :nod: :shades: :devil2:

NICE

D-NICE said:
:nod: :nod: :shades: :devil2:

NICE
Wasn't his trainer named Panama Lewis or something. I think he got banned from training fighters, eventually. I could be wrong.

Back