SWAC Scenarios: Please input conspiracy theory

Journalist

Listen up maggots! And that's an order!
I don't know if y'all ever talked about the SWAC's long-term viability. Maybe Jafus, MikeBigg, PNeck, Mighty Hornet, MightyDog or even TP or someone else could help me out.

What event(s) would damage the conference's viability to the point member schools look elsewhere for conference membership?

What event(s) would enhance the SWAC's viability?

At this current rate and state of affairs, how much longer would you think the SWAC would last with its current roster of schools? Is expansion or contraction possible in that time span?

Ultimately, what has to happen that signals the SWACs demise?

Journalist said:
What event(s) would damage the conference's viability to the point member schools look elsewhere for conference membership?
1.When schools blatantly disregard the rules, regulations, requirements, mandates and
2. There are no penalties in place when rules, regulations, etc are not followed.
3. Changing the rules, regulations, in the middle of the game

The situation from last football season quickly comes to mind.

I think that we need to start with our championships ... we need all of the conference's support when it comes to championships (and not just football) ... fans of the swac need to show up at the baseball, softball, track, volleyball, bowling, soccer, etc.

I think that if we get out to these events, show the support not only for the teams but for the conference as a whole, the event itself must upgrade to new levels. Once the championships get the necessary support, other things will begin to fall in line.

However, there is a down side to this ... most - excuse me - all of our schools do not have the adequate staff to effectively run the athletic programs. As a good friend of a former SWAC SID, a former SWAC trainer, and a current SWAC SID, I know that schools need to begin looking into how the support areas are treated at our schools. I know for a fact that many of our schools have one trainer, one SID, one academic advisor, one compliance officer, one ticket manager, but there are 18 sports (19 at Alabama A&M). But the shortage is not only at the schools, the conference office is also small compared to other conference that we compete with (SEC, Big 12, ACC, those money conferences). Somebody in the conference has got to step up and make the effort to upgrade the entire athletic department, not just the football or basketball programs.

mighty hornet said:
1.When schools blatantly disregard the rules, regulations, requirements, mandates and
2. There are no penalties in place when rules, regulations, etc are not followed.
3. Changing the rules, regulations, in the middle of the game

The situation from last football season quickly comes to mind.

Obviously that didn't cause schools to look elsewhere, so your answer is not accurate.

jag4life said:
Well schools didn't leave the conference...

Just because you didn't hear about it doesn't mean that it was discussed or considered. I was informed a swac school threatened to leave because they didn't get their way and the rest of the conference told them "Goodbye" I've said before that Grambling should be an independant.

ummm jag4life,
so you think that kind of stuff can continue and things will be the same?

let's see,suppose every year a school, say SU, decides not to play another school in its division, how long do you think that will last

The question was what things will "signal the SWACs demise"

It's almost a no-brainer that things like last year's "mess" will.

MACHIAVELLI said:
Just because you didn't hear about it doesn't mean that it was discussed or considered. I was informed a swac school threatened to leave because they didn't get their way and the rest of the conference told them "Goodbye" I've said before that Grambling should be an independant.

This was for the scheduling issues LAST football season specifically? Is that what you are saying?

mighty hornet said:
ummm jag4life,
so you think that kind of stuff can continue and things will be the same?

let's see,suppose every year a school, say SU, decides not to play another school in its division, how long do you think that will last

The question was what things will "signal the SWACs demise"

It's almost a no-brainer that things like last year's "mess" will.

Not what I am saying....you know it can't and won't happen again without consequences.

Journalist said:

MH made a good point, which basically states questionable leadership in the SWAC office.

What event(s) would enhance the SWAC's viability?

In football -- giving automony in scheduling to the respective schools. Grambling, for example, aided in giving exposure to the SWAC (with its winning product) due to autonomy in scheduling. This, in turn, made the conference more viable due to increased exposure.

At this current rate and state of affairs, how much longer would you think the SWAC would last with its current roster of schools? Is expansion or contraction possible in that time span?

Seventy percent of the schools in the SWAC have no alternative. It looks like contraction is more plausible than expansion (with some schools being more viable/profitable leaving the SWAC -- football only).

Ultimately, what has to happen that signals the SWACs demise

Grambling or Southern U leaving would be a big detriment.

GSUpe...what kinda got me thinking on this thread was a conversation I had with someone while I was researching how the 1967 march from bogalusa to BR came through Tangipahoa and Livingston parishes...but that's another story (I'll drop the link when i'm done).

He criticized the SWAC's 9-game mandate, saying it penalizes a Grambling, a Southern or a Jackson State (historically speaking) that can draw and have schools interested in playing them...and we joked all the I-AA schools in Louisiana would join with Alcorn and Jackson to form its own conference, because things aren't all too well in the Soufland either. (Hypothetically speaking, longest trip would be Jackson to Lake Charles.)
We also agreed the old practice of conference games that don't count toward the standings was asinine as well...

Now I thought about the SWAC's endgame scenario while I was a student, and I agree with you GSUpe...I do see contraction being an option more than I see expansion in the future, maybe even schools getting out of just the football membership...I also agree with you MH, c**nery in the front office only makes things worse.

But also I forgot one more question: what's the estimated number of years from now until y'all see SWAC member schools actively talk about leaving? (Simply playing off GSUpe's post.)

Jafus, why are you shaking your head. You seem to be one of the more well-researched members of TSPN and I know you have your own $0.02 to add into this.

It seems almost everyone wants to blame the SWAC office for the SWAC problems. This has been stated before, but hopefully this will make it crystal clear. Think of the SWAC as a major company - this is the power break down:

CEO - highest officials -- The Council of Presidents -- these folks make all the decisions whether good or bad period.

President - The next in line -- The SWAC Commissioner -- He reports to the President of the Council of Presidents (COP) -- He must carry out the decisions that are agreed on by the COP. He does have other duties which include & are not limited to increasing SWAC name recognization, TV contracts, increasing conference revenue, etc.

Everybody else

Maybe some of you don't remember how this situation came to pass - well the COP were not involved and Rudy Washington ripped the SWAC off big-time. We now call his reign as RUDIGATE. Therefore the COP took over.

There are a couple of issues pulling at the SWAC. The first one is the Haves and Have nots. I dont know that PV and Valley belong in Div 1 athletics and JSU, GSU, SU and Bama, could potentionally be 1-A Programs, with the right plan in place. The Have nots are going to have to step up their game.

Buffonery in the SWAC office is a MAJOR issue. If I woke up tomorrow and saw that a School was leaving the SWAC, Buffonery in Birmingham would be the #1 suspect in my book. I dont know why is so hard to find some leadership, but sometimes it seems like poorly trained chimpanzees are running the SWAC office.

J-State Tiger said:
Buffonery in the SWAC office is a MAJOR issue. If I woke up tomorrow and saw that a School was leaving the SWAC, Buffonery in Birmingham would be the #1 suspect in my book. I dont know why is so hard to find some leadership, but sometimes it seems like poorly trained chimpanzees are running the SWAC office.

Didn't the majority of the C.O.P. vote for the 9 game mandate and many of the other rules and regs that apply to the SWAC?

First of all the SWAC is an outstanding conference, however, most fans who have been associated with the conference over the years cannot recognize the progress that has been made since Dr. Franks was president. When we discuss the term former big three, there are reason for saying this, but as you can see the lower tier teams have made signficant progress to raise the level of their programs to be competiative with these schools. Having been a part of the SIAC since it was organized, our schools were faced with many challenges because of the private and state schools funding. When the SIAC was dominated by FAMU, led by Jake whereas folks were afraid to challenge this late powerful coach. As schools moved from the SIAC the funding of scholarships were cut to save money that tried to balance the budgets of private schools with public schools.

As I observe the SWAC I noticed some similarity in the change from private schools to state schools as it occured in the SIAC. State schools in the SWAC had more funds to invest in athletics which caused many of the private schools to leave the conference because they could not compete financially with the State schools. Moving to the SWAC all you have to do is count the number of championships won by each school and you can see who dominated the field of competition, and also established the philosophy of the conference. As we move forward today, the thinking has changed and more agressive leadership is in place. The fee that is paid by each membership institution is not enough to support the kind of staff that so many of you demand, but the SWAC Office must raise funds in support of those individuals who are now working profusely to make things better for all its member schools. The SWAC consist of a paradigm that must be constantly worked on to make the improvements that are necessary that will be benefit all member institutions. We must move away from everyone trying to be in control to trusting our leadership. We must attack the issues and be willing to make changes and abide with them.

If we work in a positive manner in the future development of the SWAC we will be ok in two or three years. Our COP must be available to meet and discuss issues in a timely matter. I feel that we are headed in the right direction. Althought our officials think that they are the best in the world, this is an area the SWAC need to work on. We must hold our officials accountable just as we hold student athletes accountable.

Back