Suspended Schaeffer decides to leave Tennessee

GramFan

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Quarterback Brent Schaeffer is leaving Tennessee after being suspended from the team this month following his arrest.

Schaeffer, who would have been a sophomore this fall, will leave school at the end of the spring semester. He had been charged with misdemeanor assault stemming from a dormitory fight with a student.

Coach Phillip Fulmer said Friday the decision was a "mutual agreement" in "everyone's best interest." Schaeffer's family in Florida declined to comment and the player could not immediately be reached.

Schaeffer and fellow freshman Erik Ainge vied for the starting job last year but both were injured and didn't finish the season. Schaeffer broke his collarbone in a game at South Carolina in October.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/8409703

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
TSU/BAMA said:
Don't the SWAC have enough problems???
I hate this damn attitude.... HE GOT IN A FIGHT.... that dont make him a problem child.... you sound like them damn white folks on tv. In this case a fight was an isolated incident... He was fighting over a girl. It was WRONG but I wuoldnt label him as a "problem"

DAHILL said:
I hate this damn attitude.... HE GOT IN A FIGHT.... that dont make him a problem child.... you sound like them damn white folks on tv. In this case a fight was an isolated incident... He was fighting over a girl. It was WRONG but I wuoldnt label him as a "problem"

Kneegrow, please!!!

if he's fighting at Tennessee over a female (hope she was black)....heavan forbid what he'll fight for at a HBCU...

he was in that crazy ass platoon anyway.....folks posted on here from week 1 someone was going to leave...

TN wanted him out the way to make room for Ainge. They were going to move him to WR. Plus they signed one of the top prep QB's in the nation. Tell him to come to JSU.

Tennessee St., FAMU, Southern, Grambling, Jackson St., Hampton would all be good schools for him to transfer to. :jump:

Unlike a lot of transfers, he doesn't necessarily have to go the D-1AA route. He played last year as a true freshman, meaning he still has a redshirt year left. He can transfer to another D-1A school, sit out a year to learn the offense and still have 3 years of eligibility left. That's probably his best bet.

wahines said:
Tennessee St., FAMU, Southern, Grambling, Jackson St., Hampton would all be good schools for him to transfer to. :jump:

shid...we got enough QBs already and Grambling has QBs waiting in the wings...but this guy seemingly has FAMU transfer written all over him...I dont' even remember the last time FAMU had a homegrown starting QB (Quinn Gray??)...I just thought they always transferred to Billy Joe...

I don't know about the QB situations at Tenn St. or J-State (Unless Cletis gon' take some snaps too :bump: )...

Journalist said:
shid...we got enough QBs already and Grambling has QBs waiting in the wings...but this guy seemingly has FAMU transfer written all over him...I dont' even remember the last time FAMU had a homegrown starting QB (Quinn Gray??)...I just thought they always transferred to Billy Joe...

I don't know about the QB situations at Tenn St. or J-State (Unless Cletis gon' take some snaps too :bump: )...

J, you can't even classify Quinn Gray as homegrown because he transferred in as well.

I don't know if he'll go the HBCU route, because as JSU/99 pointed out, he could still go to a bigger school, and sit out a year. Brock Berlin did the same thing, so don't be surprised if this kid doesn't end up at Florida. He's athletic, has a arm, and Leake will have only a year left after this season, if he doesn't turn pro. He's the perfect quarterback for Urban Meyer, and with no true backup for Leake, don't be surprised if he ends up in Gainesville.

NICE

D-NICE said:
J, you can't even classify Quinn Gray as homegrown because he transferred in as well.

I don't know if he'll go the HBCU route, because as JSU/99 pointed out, he could still go to a bigger school, and sit out a year. Brock Berlin did the same thing, so don't be surprised if this kid doesn't end up at Florida. He's athletic, has a arm, and Leake will have only a year left after this season, if he doesn't turn pro. He's the perfect quarterback for Urban Meyer, and with no true backup for Leake, don't be surprised if he ends up in Gainesville.

NICE

Correct me if I am wrong. If he goes to another 1A school he will sit out his soph year and be eligible to play his Jr and Sr year. I don't think you are allowed to redshirt him at this point due to him having to sit out by rule of transfer to same level program. Now if he went to a 1-AA program he would have 3 years left. The only way he would have 3 years remaining by going to another 1A program would have been if he had been redshirted this year at UT. Then he would be sitting out his R-Fr year next year and be eligible for his R Soph, R Jr and R Sr seasons.

But I do agree he will probably end up at a 1A program because he has 2 years remaining after sitting out. Unless he feels he needs all 3 years then he will have to transfer to a 1-AA school.

Hey Nice don't be shocked if he ended up at a MAC school. The only downside of him ending up at a Florida will be if Urban Meyer already has an idea on what kid from HS he may bring in to develop under Leak if Leak stays for his Sr year. Those big schools already are looking ahead for their next Qb. So it will be risky for him to transfer hoping he starts once he sits out. Look at Clausen at UT since he transferred from LSU. He thought he would be a shoe in until these Freshmen showed up. If Schaeffer and Ainge didn't get hurt, Clausen would be still sitting on the bench. Brent better make sure he makes the right choice on where to transfer. The safe bet may be a MAC school.

Brock Berlin was in the same situation and he played 4 years of college ball(2 with Fla and 2 with Miami). I think whether or not you lose a year depends on whether the school releases you from your scholarship. If Tennessee doesn't release Brent from his scholarship, he would lose that extra year. Some schools have policies where they won't release you unless you choose a school in another conference. I doubt Fulmer will release him to go play for Florida.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
JR said:
Correct me if I am wrong. If he goes to another 1A school he will sit out his soph year and be eligible to play his Jr and Sr year. I don't think you are allowed to redshirt him at this point due to him having to sit out by rule of transfer to same level program. Now if he went to a 1-AA program he would have 3 years left. The only way he would have 3 years remaining by going to another 1A program would have been if he had been redshirted this year at UT. Then he would be sitting out his R-Fr year next year and be eligible for his R Soph, R Jr and R Sr seasons.

But I do agree he will probably end up at a 1A program because he has 2 years remaining after sitting out. Unless he feels he needs all 3 years then he will have to transfer to a 1-AA school.

Hey Nice don't be shocked if he ended up at a MAC school. The only downside of him ending up at a Florida will be if Urban Meyer already has an idea on what kid from HS he may bring in to develop under Leak if Leak stays for his Sr year. Those big schools already are looking ahead for their next Qb. So it will be risky for him to transfer hoping he starts once he sits out. Look at Clausen at UT since he transferred from LSU. He thought he would be a shoe in until these Freshmen showed up. If Schaeffer and Ainge didn't get hurt, Clausen would be still sitting on the bench. Brent better make sure he makes the right choice on where to transfer. The safe bet may be a MAC school.

He got released.... once you get released you dont lose a year of eligibility

JSU/99 said:
Brock Berlin was in the same situation and he played 4 years of college ball(2 with Fla and 2 with Miami). I think whether or not you lose a year depends on whether the school releases you from your scholarship. If Tennessee doesn't release Brent from his scholarship, he would lose that extra year. Some schools have policies where they won't release you unless you choose a school in another conference. I doubt Fulmer will release him to go play for Florida.

I agree with you on Fulmer not releasing him to play in the SEC. I found out how Brock was able to play 2 years at both schools. He immediately transferred after the 01 season. So he enrolled at Miami in Spr 02. So I guess it is when you actually transfer as well. Schaeffer stayed at UT this spring so he was there the whole year.

JR said:
I agree with you on Fulmer not releasing him to play in the SEC. I found out how Brock was able to play 2 years at both schools. He immediately transferred after the 01 season. So he enrolled at Miami in Spr 02. So I guess it is when you actually transfer as well. Schaeffer stayed at UT this spring so he was there the whole year.

In that case he might not be eligible until the fall of his sophomore year. So wherever he goes he'll have to miss spring practice.

Devil's Gun Trigger Man said:
he could transfer to Valley and battle with Nelson for the starting spot.

wishful thankin' TriggerMane... :bowdown:

but it would be nice though

Schaffer would only have two years left if he transferred to another I-A school and three years if he moved down to a I-AA school.

you're released from the scholarship when you withdraw from the university...remember y'all scholly's go year-to-year

Journalist said:
wishful thankin' TriggerMane... :bowdown:

but it would be nice though

Schaffer would only have two years left if he transferred to another I-A school and three years if he moved down to a I-AA school.

you're released from the scholarship when you withdraw from the university...remember y'all scholly's go year-to-year

The coach has to release you in order for you to get that extra year. That's usually how college coaches keep unhappy players under wraps, especially those with less than 3 years remaining. If he's released by Fulmer(doubtful unless he goes outside the conference), he should have 3 full years remaining after sitting out.

Is all this d@#$ fighting necessary ??

JR said:

That's exactly what Schaeffer should've done. But being a Floridian, I could see the scenario going down as has been posted thus far. Bobby Bowden might have some room for him, since they haven't had anybody steady since Charlie Ward.

JR said:
I found out how Brock was able to play 2 years at both schools. He immediately transferred after the 01 season. So he enrolled at Miami in Spr 02. So I guess it is when you actually transfer as well. Schaeffer stayed at UT this spring so he was there the whole year.
I'm not exactly sure but I think the deal is in order for a kid to transfer to another 1-A program without losing a year of eligibility he has to spend at least two full years (not counting summers) at the school he initially signs with. One might ask, "In that case, how did Brock Berlin transfer in the Spring of 2002 after spending only the Fall of 2000, Spring of 2001 and Fall of 2001 at UF?" The answer is that Berlin entered college in the Spring of 2000 after graduating high school in the Fall of 1999. That gave him two full years at the University of Florida. Afterwards, he sat out the 2002 season and played the 2003 and 2004.

So if I am right, Schaeffer will lose a year if he enrolls at another 1-AA program this year.

Back