SUNS IN 6!!!

ravel74

What happen to all those laker haters??? Last week you all were Suns fans where's the support? Well I'll ride the wagon by myself.

This must be what a Valley poster feels like.....sheesh

Had to bring this one back from page 2 for all the doubting people out there in swacpage land. Now Avery fam and all but.....

Suns in Six!!!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Ahh ravel, that's just one game and they let that one slip away by relaxing on defense at the wrong time. We all know Avery ain't having it.

Hey homie...best believe Avery(not me) will have dem boyz head right after watching the tape and practice on today. Mavs in 6.

Not going lie I hate the Lakers....yet this hate was not there when Magic and the REAL Lakers were there. I think Dallas is going to come through. I would love to see a SWAC Product win a championship.

SU you did well in the product you produced!!!

Avery will see one simple thing. Dampier defends the pick-n-roll better than Van Horn. That was the key coaching mistake Avery made last night. When the Mavericks were up by 7 late in the 4th, it was because Dampier was in the game and the Suns had problems because he defends the pick-n-roll way better than Van Horn. Then he took Damp out and the Suns went on a 8-0 run to take the lead by 1.

I do like that they (Mavs) stayed at home and defended Nash 1-on-1 when he drove the basket. That forces him to throw up those unordidox shots, some fall and some don't, but he don't get to kick it out to those dangerous 3pt shooters.

Da_Sperm said:
I do like that they (Mavs) stayed at home and defended Nash 1-on-1 when he drove the basket. That forces him to throw up those unordidox shots, some fall and some don't, but he don't get to kick it out to those dangerous 3pt shooters.
But Sprem, Nash had close to 30 points last night.

The "little general" makes it so hard to watch because I want to see him to well. I used to be a ball boy when he played and he would find me and after practice work with me on my shooting. I also could remember being in the locker room at halftime of home games and Jobe would just give him the chalk and let him make adjustments along with him. With all that said the series will go back and forth fun to watch but the Suns will pull it out.

I think it's going to 7. Not sure who will pull this one out. They (Suns and Mavs) are almost carbon copies of one another.

Not sure about the Heat and Pistons. For some reason, I see the Heat pulling that one out...in at least 6.

Blacknbengal said:
But Sprem, Nash had close to 30 points last night.

True, he had 30 points. But you don't want to give him 30 points and 15 assist too. Steve Nash has an uncany way of driving to the lane and defenders (by natural instinct) will leave their man to HELP. When this is done, he (Steve) finds the defender (usually a spot up 3pt shooter or a slasher to the bucket). If you stay at home, Steve is forced to throw up one of his unbalanced layups.

This approached worked in the 2nd half.

Steve Nash is a 2-time MVP basically for his ability to get teammates involved, not because of his scoring. All of the starting 5 for the SUNS are averaging career high in scoring this year because of Nash. Dallas needs to take away Steve's ability to get everyone on his team involved.

Da_Sperm said:
True, he had 30 points. But you don't want to give him 30 points and 15 assist too.

EXACTLY... the Lakers kept HELPING on Nash and leaving their men open for 3's. A basketball player is taught from day one to help in that situation, but that is where the Suns excel. You have to stick to a defensive gameplan where you DON'T help when Nash drives.

When the suns pick and roll you better have a big man that will cover Nash enough to stop him from dishing. Dampier was too slow so they tried to go with someone quicker. Then on the switch Diaw who is 6'10 is on a missmatch and can take his man down low or pop out to marion.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Da_Sperm said:
Avery will see one simple thing. Dampier defends the pick-n-roll better than Van Horn. That was the key coaching mistake Avery made last night. When the Mavericks were up by 7 late in the 4th, it was because Dampier was in the game and the Suns had problems because he defends the pick-n-roll way better than Van Horn. Then he took Damp out and the Suns went on a 8-0 run to take the lead by 1.

Great observation and on point!

Even if E Dampier defends the pick-&-roll better than K Van Horn, it won't matter if they keep SWITCHING on the screen and allowing J Terry or D Harris to attempt the defend B Diaw. Plus, even without Dallas helping much on S Nash's penetration, he still had 16 assists.

UAPB '97 said:
Even if E Dampier defends the pick-&-roll better than K Van Horn, it won't matter if they keep SWITCHING on the screen and allowing J Terry or D Harris to attempt the defend B Diaw. Plus, even without Dallas helping much on S Nash's penetration, he still had 16 assists.

Those assist numbers are misleading, since most of them were on fast breaks and pick and rolls, he wasn't killing them with drive and kicks. The problem is that if Dallas doesn't switch those pick and rolls, then Nash will drive to the lane and find open shooters all night. Even with Nash's huge night, it was still a game that was Dallas' for the taking, the team just didn't execute offensively down the stretch.

JaguarNation99 said:
Those assist numbers are misleading, since most of them were on fast breaks and pick and rolls, he wasn't killing them with drive and kicks. The problem is that if Dallas doesn't switch those pick and rolls, then Nash will drive to the lane and find open shooters all night. Even with Nash's huge night, it was still a game that was Dallas' for the taking, the team just didn't execute offensively down the stretch.
But the fast break and early pick-&-rolls are the basis of PHX's offense. If they are beating you with that, they won't need the drive and kick outs.

If they continue to switch on the Nash/Diaw pick-&-roll, it will be a long series for Dallas.

UAPB '97 said:

Actually it does. Damp presence is way different than Van Horn or Dirk. Nash dropped a big 3pt on Dirk off the pick-n-roll because Dirk didn't step out. Van Horn didn't pressure Nash enough and Nash dished to Diaw for key dunks late in the 4th.

I do not know why Damp wasn't in the game the last 4 seconds of the game. Diaw would have had a harder time getting that bucket against Damp versus Stackhouse.

Dampier can't stay with Nash after a pick-&-roll any better than Dirk or Van Horn. Even if he does, Nash will still dump it to Diaw with a small guard on him.

If Dampier had been on Diaw, PHX would not have tried to post up Diaw. They would have let him catch it on the perimeter and work Dampier from there.

Steve Nash is the absolute truth

Last night's game thoroughly convinced me once and for all that Steve Nash deserved every bit of the MVP award. 27 points, 16 assists. That's essentially the equivalent of a 60 point game... on the road... against a 60-win squad. :eek:

I gotta give him his props.

Re: Steve Nash is the absolute truth

HBCUs said:
Last night's game thoroughly convinced me once and for all that Steve Nash deserved every bit of the MVP award. 27 points, 16 assists. That's essentially the equivalent of a 60 point game... on the road... against a 60-win squad. :eek:

I gotta give him his props.

You have a great point there; Nash earned the MVP!

On another note, I am sorry that it took me so long to realize it and say it, but, Dirk Nowitzki is a straight BALLER!

ravel74 said:
The "little general" makes it so hard to watch because I want to see him to well. I used to be a ball boy when he played and he would find me and after practice work with me on my shooting. I also could remember being in the locker room at halftime of home games and Jobe would just give him the chalk and let him make adjustments along with him. With all that said the series will go back and forth fun to watch but the Suns will pull it out.

I really like the Mavericks because of Avery Johnson and the proximity. I have a lot of really close friends in Dallas. But there's something about Phoenix that I really like. We've talked in the past about my coaching John Simon,the Daigre Brothers, Andre Chinn and some other kids from the Glen Oaks area in youth (Biddy) basketball. Our style was a lot like Phoenix and it gave folks fits.

The system works when you have 5 guys who can score from the perimeter as catch and shot and/or as slashers. But the main thing is that they have to have the right mental approach. We spread the court with Simon at the point, Daigre High post (like Diaw), Chinn's game was like Marion, my oldest son Mike Jr and Tommy Henry(received bb scholarship from Istrouma) were deadly three point shooters who could also run the point when Simon was taking a rare breather (or when I wanted to post him up).

The Suns unselfish play reminds me of those guys so much that I like to watch them play...it's like deja vu. That style is so much fun to play but also fun to coach. None stop running, but rarely any poor shot selection. That Simon was a general on the floor and could score when he wanted but was mostly the lowest scorer in our games. But trust me...they knew. At least one practice a week we had a one on one tourney. Always some close games, but I can recall Simon losing only 2 the entire season.

JaguarNation99 said:

The thing that makes Nash deadly is his court vision and his handles. His handles is not just his dribbling but his ability to be an ambidextrous passer. Regardless of what hand he's dribbling with, the quick pass can be made with timely accuracy. The margin of difference makes all the difference in the world...especially with those quick dimes to Marion. Then think of all those length of court assists he makes to streaking players after a basket.

Phoenix isn't looking to blow anyone out...they are looking to be the first team to 120. If you wanna run with them... they are all for that. In fact they make you run. You think this style doesn't work? Take a look at the recent winners of International competition. That style of play (uptempo, spread the court, three point shooting) has made it's way to the NBA and Stern and others couldn't be happier. Watch as Phoenix start getting more favorable calls because this style is catching on with the fans and that's what the NBA wants to see. NBA basketball has drafted more and more foreign players who thrive in this game...

Back