SU

SUjagTILLiDIE

Schiefelbein: SU?s Cador looking for scholarships

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Jun 4, 2006

The year was 2003, and Southern University?s baseball program had never been better.

Rickie Weeks was the best player in college ball. Deep and talented, the Jaguars went 47-7. And after years of haggling, the major part of Lee-Hines Stadium was finally in place, good enough for the school to host the Southwestern Athletic Conference tournament.

But there was a trap door.

That season, the decision was made to slash the baseball program?s allotment of scholarships from the NCAA maximum of 11.7 to nine.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/featured/2926446.html

I hope Coach Cador gets what he need........Cutting scholarships (what a reward for dominating :smh: )

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
JROCK said:
I hope Coach Cador gets what he need........Cutting scholarships (what a reward for dominating :smh: )

Now I understand what Coach Cador meant when he said he lost some kids recently.

I really hate to read this scenario. That is tough and unfortunate for Southern baseball, student athletes, alums, and the SWAC Western Division. I do not believe our administrative leadership understands how important 2.7 scholarships can be.

But, saying that we must, as active alum, provide additional revenue to the athletic department (baseball program) to offset that if at all possible. In fact, I believe this maybe a call by Coach Cador for one or other to do just that. Fortunately for Southern, I have little doubt that the alums (athletic booster group) can get it done.

Renoir said:
Now I understand what Coach Cador meant when he said he lost some kids recently.

I spoke to him briefly a couple of months ago and he did mention that he needs more talent but didn't say anything about scholarship problems ( he was with a recruit at the time though working hard as usual ).

with him losing a strong presence in Houston hurt alot and he lost some Califormia prospects also.....put those two cities together and that's 10 or so quality athletes.

the band fan said:
with him losing a strong presence in Houston hurt alot and he lost some Califormia prospects also.....put those two cities together and that's 10 or so quality athletes.
You think he lost H-Town ??????? LMAO.........Just wait and see my friend,just wait and see...LMAO

the band fan said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jafus (Thinker) said:
I really hate to read this scenario. That is tough and unfortunate for Southern baseball, student athletes, alums, and the SWAC Western Division. I do not believe our administrative leadership understands how important 2.7 scholarships can be.

But, saying that we must, as active alum, provide additional revenue to the athletic department (baseball program) to offset that if at all possible. In fact, I believe this maybe a call by Coach Cador for one or other to do just that. Fortunately for Southern, I have little doubt that the alums (athletic booster group) can get it done.
This happen in 2003. :(

Jafus (Thinker) said:
.....I do not believe our administrative leadership understands how important 2.7 scholarships can be.

But, saying that we must, as active alum, provide additional revenue to the athletic department (baseball program) to offset that if at all possible......

I agree.

OnlySU said:
You think he lost H-Town ??????? LMAO.........Just wait and see my friend,just wait and see...LMAO

Out of nine players signed this year he gets one and that kid was last-minute. I can name 5 to 6 players who have played for PV the past 2 years who could've been at Southern from California and Houston.

I hate to think of it like this but alot of HBCU administrators think if you can win big with nothing then taking a little away won't hurt as much. Sometimes winning big has consequences.

the band fan said:
Out of nine players signed this year he gets one and that kid was last-minute. I can name 5 to 6 players who have played for PV the past 2 years who could've been at Southern from California and Houston.
Is that really something to brag about. Isn't PV is the Houston area. Thats how it should be.

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
Is that really something to brag about. Isn't PV is the Houston area. Thats how it should be.

Exactly. TBF acts like SU success has been primarly on Houston players. Last time I checked most of our star players over the years have not been from that area. Mike Woods and Rickie Weeks come to mind. Now I will give them credit for not letting other Houston/Texas area schools get the players. But like somebody and I were saying.......have you notice a few extra black players this year in the SEC? I got a strange feeling that number is going to increase. It is only a matter of time before the PWCs put a stop to that...... meaning the U of H's and other Texas schools may come after the same players they used to look over because they were black. Especially if we start beating them more and more.

SU used to pride itself on depth.....Houston played a big role in that...Josh LeBlanc from Westbury hid on the depth chart for a minute but look at him when he got a chance...the 04 team I remember had nearly 10 players from the city who contributed heavily....now you barely have 2 to 3 who play on a regular basis..

those 2.7 scholarships are worth lets say $30,000...that's six people who could get $5,000 a year.....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The reduction in scholarships affects the amount of quality and quantity of players, where ever they come from. Looking at his signing class, he's going the juco level to fill some immediate holes.

The thing is the adm. should back a winning program which could increase the quality in other programs.

JR said:
Exactly. But like somebody and I were saying.......have you notice a few extra black players this year in the SEC? I got a strange feeling that number is going to increase. It is only a matter of time before the PWCs put a stop to that...... meaning the U of H's and other Texas schools may come after the same players they used to look over because they were black. Especially if we start beating them more and more.

I agree 100%. I think this is going to be a big problem in a few years, much like integration killed basketball and football. Basbeaball is currently the only major sport where major schools can win without Black players but not for long.

When PVU started running all over Rice, their coach did not have a clue.

I hope our HBCU coaches realize recruiting is about to get real difficult in the next few years.

the odd thing now is that the blacks on some of these teams play one year, then all of a sudden just drop off and watch from the bench. UH and Texas A&M had two blacks start as freshmen, but this past season they did nothing and barely saw anytime.

This is a reality though..you may see some blacks but not many still. It's no secret blacks rely on full rides when it comes to these big schools and with baseball teams not committing many full rides at all, folks ain't many going to come for a partial and then take out a huge loan - especially at a private institution.

there may be some additions but teams like Rice aren't going to change much....white kids will play for free and that won't change and they will still invest heavily in their pitching staffs.

the band fan said:
the odd thing now is that the blacks on some of these teams play one year, then all of a sudden just drop off and watch from the bench. UH and Texas A&M had two blacks start as freshmen, but this past season they did nothing and barely saw anytime.

This is a reality though..you may see some blacks but not many still. It's no secret blacks rely on full rides when it comes to these big schools and with baseball teams not committing many full rides at all, folks ain't many going to come for a partial and then take out a huge loan - especially at a private institution.

there may be some additions but teams like Rice aren't going to change much....white kids will play for free and that won't change and they will still invest heavily in their pitching staffs.

What you will see is the 2 sport star getting recruited to play both like they used too back in the day when Frank Thomas played football and baseball at Auburn. That will be the only way they can be on a full ride. Now the key will be if the Football coach allows that scholarship kid to compete on the baseball team. Sometimes they will not. Kind of like how Pete allowed Alfred Ard go play baseball. Most of these coaches now like for their players to only compete in one sport. I was just in Columbus Ohio this weekend and saw that my other alma mater has recruited this kid for football, but he will run track or play baseball as well. That's were I think you will see the black players surface. Plus these schools want to win. If the white kids start to not produce like they use to then look out. I can already see a decline in the white players across the board. Blacks and Latino players more so are making some noise. Some of these white kids that are 2 sport stars may opt to play football than baseball looking at how the Latino players are dominating MLB. Heck they have a better shot at the NFL. Drew Henson and Chad Hutchinson send help.

the thing with Latinos......only a certain type plays collegeiate baseball...the ones you see are favor whites than their latino roots...the ones at Rice blend in so well it's downright scary...the true, spanish spekaing only latinos are in lower levels of baseball due to grades among other reason...but the good ones don't even attend high school, nevertheless college.

One thing you don't see is blacks pitching at a high level...I want to see a big-time, dominant pitching staff with some blacks down the line.

The trend now is to recruit a black, stick him in the outfield and so be it

the band fan said:

I hate to think of it like this but alot of HBCU administrators think if you can win big with nothing then taking a little away won't hurt as much. Sometimes winning big has consequences.
That's so far.....

I personally, think it is a socio-economic revenue issue, rather than a cultural issue on preceive talent. I think it is really difficult to compete against the revenue generated and utilized by Mississippi and Tulane (i.e. Rice and Arizona State) consistently.

JR and The Band Fan,

True, one should also note that with Division I baseball only allowed 12.7 scholarships for a 25+ (47%) man rosters versus Division I-AA allowing 63 scholarships for an 85+ (74%) man rosters and Division I-A allowing 85(?) scholarships for 100+ (85%) man rosters. It is one of the few men?s athletic program sports were there are less than half the scholarships available than the entire allowed roster.

It becomes obvious that it is less likely for student athletes playing baseball to obtain a full athletic scholarship as compared to playing football and obtaining a full athletic scholarship.

So mathematically, by the percentages it does make greater sense to seek a full athletic scholarship for playing football and basketball, than a partial athletic scholarship for playing baseball.

Many of the African-American baseball players at Division I-A, Division I BCS designated schools are actually student athletes on football scholarships that have been granted the opportunity to play two sports.

It should also be pointed out that baseball programs and track & field programs (including HBCUs) all over the country also utilize the scenario listed above along with academic scholarships for the student athletes to compile a full roster, as compared to football and basketball programs.

Back