SU: Proposed budget cuts could signal university's closure

Ya'll can say what ya'll want to about Mississippi, the state of Mississippi has nearly a $400 million surplus!

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...s-blue-collar-tax-dividends-address/79339982/

My home state has other issues. Even with the surplus. It can't get out of it's way to move forward and attract major industries to it's capital city or state and improve the infrastructure. That money only serves the rich and powerful in the state. The regular folks aint benefiting at all. One of the reason so many college grads from the home state LEAVE for greener and better pastures in other states.

Jindal destroyed LA and LA also has been it's own enemy with shady politics over the years. So much potential for both states but when your people don't vote smartly you get what you ask for.

Jindal destroyed LA and LA also has been it's own enemy with shady politics over the years. So much potential for both states but when your people don't vote smartly you get what you ask for.

I agree...Jindal just put the icing on the cake. The cake was already baked and cooled.

My home state has other issues. Even with the surplus. It can't get out of it's way to move forward and attract major industries to it's capital city or state and improve the infrastructure. That money only serves the rich and powerful in the state. The regular folks aint benefiting at all. One of the reason so many college grads from the home state LEAVE for greener and better pastures in other states.

It would be hard for Louisiana to uproot that shady politics, since most folks in Louisiana keep electing their favorite insurance agent into political office. I still don't know how the insurance agency became one of the most powerful entities in Louisiana. Check the resume of some of the members on Southern University Board, which are mostly preachers, attorneys, and insurance agents.

Last edited:
But Southern is somewhat to blame,especially when it comes to infrastructure... my parents used to always say, their is a difference in needs and wants... SU science labs and College of Science building are falling apart , mold problems, back up sewage problems etc, and the buildings are out of date to even be used for science,,, , SU environmental toxicology MS AND PHD program, a amazing program, the advocate talked about to struggling of public HBCUS in lousiana, their was a short section on the program,,,, the program has the students and a amazing faculty and staff, but the issue is GUESS ?????? FACILITIES. every year the program loses out on MILLIONS OF RESEARCH MONEY not because the program is not good, but because the facility and labs are out of date and the resources are not good.... It becomes a point of when enough is enough, every year the Board of Regents receives an allocated amount of money for projects YET every year SU never gets the funds for new buildings only patch work jobs,,,, I just think SU needs to grow some balls and take this issue to the Supreme Court of Louisiana , PERIOD SU is a public University and buildings should not be in that bad of shape if one of the purposes of a public University is to educate the people in the state, when your building are inferior to not only the other universities in your state but to other PUBLIC HBCU THAT IS A PROBLEM. ..

FYI, the dorms and wellness center were paid by mostly federal money.. Take a page out of Maryland HBCUS. .

But Southern is somewhat to blame,especially when it comes to infrastructure... my parents used to always say, their is a difference in needs and wants... SU science labs and College of Science building are falling apart , mold problems, back up sewage problems etc, and the buildings are out of date to even be used for science,,, , SU environmental toxicology MS AND PHD program, a amazing program, the advocate talked about to struggling of public HBCUS in lousiana, their was a short section on the program,,,, the program has the students and a amazing faculty and staff, but the issue is GUESS ?????? FACILITIES. every year the program loses out on MILLIONS OF RESEARCH MONEY not because the program is not good, but because the facility and labs are out of date and the resources are not good.... It becomes a point of when enough is enough, every year the Board of Regents receives an allocated amount of money for projects YET every year SU never gets the funds for new buildings only patch work jobs,,,, I just think SU needs to grow some balls and take this issue to the Supreme Court of Louisiana , PERIOD SU is a public University and buildings should not be in that bad of shape if one of the purposes of a public University is to educate the people in the state, when your building are inferior to not only the other universities in your state but to other PUBLIC HBCU THAT IS A PROBLEM. ..

FYI, the dorms and wellness center were paid by mostly federal money.. Take a page out of Maryland HBCUS. .

I can agree even with GSU. Most wonder why certain buildings flood. It's because the entire West Side of campus is in a flood zone. When the 4 lane was put in place it was higher than the height of the buildings so each year during a heavy rain it will flood.

Also GSU was the first university in the NATION to offer a Ed.D in Developmental Education. Right now we should have expanded to at least 3 other doctoral programs and restructured the department of political science to be the College of Public Service with the Master of Public Administration being the umbrella encompassing Social Work, Criminal Justice, Political Science, and Public Administration. Basically you would enter a 5 year program and graduate with Master of Public Administration with an Undergrad in Public Service specializing in Criminal Justice, Political Science, Governmental Affairs, International Studies, Military Science, Governmental Contracting. Social Work will be its own stand along degree program where you enter a 5 year program and graduate with a Master of Social Work along with an undergrad in Social Work.

We must be innovative and offensive when thinking of degrees. Yet, GSU would not hire me. Yet, the funny thing is Delta Community College has asked me to come on board. They are even allowing me work after 5 pm so that I can keep my primary job.

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

http://theadvocate.com/news/1462187...cuts-have-transformed-louisianas-universities

o_O,, and you have some folks that want to make asinine comments.. AS I STATED BEFORE IF ANY OF OUR HBCUS WOULD OF BEEN BASICALLY CUT TO THE BONE,, YOU WOULD BE STRUGGLING TO.

I am more shocked honestly that SU maintain great academic programs and that enrollment is finally moving up,, one has to think where SU would be if the state was not struggling

More shocking is the fact that 3 States had an increase ,, Illinois being one of them ,, so why is Chicago State U, struggling some much,

I know a guy who is employed with a Clerk of Courts office for a parish and has a PhD. He works full-time for the clerk and is a part-time instructor at a community college. He stated that he would never leave and work for a university in Louisiana full-time until after he retires from the clerk's office. I am on the same track. Working in higher education is not stable.

It's almost like negroes want bad shit to happen to them with all this over dramatization of every damn thing.

I agree that we should look at what Georgia did with Darton and Albany State where they merge the two.

I agree that should be done with SUNO/UNO. but bring it under the Southern University System.

The System would then look like this

The Southern University System

SUBR

SUNO

SULC

SUAC

SUS

GSU

I agree but those people don't want SU having NOLA only public University, can you imagine, if LA got back on its feet and SUNO/UNO where to reach a huge enrollment and a strong backing from the nola business sector, SUNO has just added a nursing and forensic science program, Engineering has been talked about, also adding a law program in both nola and Shreveport thur the law school in btr

Does anyone know where the lousiania schools stand yet with the state passing or not passing the bill needed for funding ??!!??

Supposedly the Legislature closed the budget deficit from $900 million to $30 million, but the governor was still disappointed. So far, higher education is protected. Next fiscal year the state is looking at a $800 million dollar deficit. I do believe Louisiana higher education will survive this mess now that the Republican control dumb azz legislature understands how this effects LSU's football. Louisiana doesn't have a revenue problem, it has a dumb azz spending problem that Jindal created with corporate tax breaks and corporate giveaways, basically corporate welfare. Louisiana needs to re-evaluate every corporate tax breaks and giveaways and see which are actually creating more jobs in the state. I do believe after this is over in the next year or two, Louisiana will be a lot better off fiscally. Governor Edwards main campaign pledge was to increase funding for higher education. Now that the state is balancing its budget and increasing revenue, that shouldn't be hard to do. Once the budget is balanced and the wasteful spending/corporate welfare has been cut, Louisiana should have extra funding to increase monies for higher education. I do believe institutions like Southern University are already putting together a wish list of things once that extra revenue starts pouring in, which was published in the Advocate a few days ago concerning Southern University's backlog on facility maintenance. IMO, Governor Edwards knows exactly what things (LSU's football) backwards Louisiana folks and the Republican control legislature care about the most. Also, IMO he has done way more than what crazy azz Jindal has done in 8 years.

http://www.kalb.com/home/headlines/...wards-expresses-disappointment-371613371.html

I'm glad you all had to go through this as an entire state, so these people can see how voting effects them more than they think. Most of these people are so use to these type of situations only effecting the HBCU's that now they'll get a taste of it. But I'm glad Grambling and SU will be fine especially Gsu because I really was considering getting my masters from there.

I'm glad you all had to go through this as an entire state, so these people can see how voting effects them more than they think. Most of these people are so use to these type of situations only effecting the HBCU's that now they'll get a taste of it. But I'm glad Grambling and SU will be fine.

I do believe some legislative heads will be rolling in Louisiana come next election. Due to JIndal, Louisiana will probably become more of a purple state instead of a deep red state. Mary Landrieu lost her U.S. Senate seat due to her compromise and crossover tactics. All Mary Landrieu had to do was take care of her base, which was the 34% of Blacks in Louisiana and the18% to 20% of Whites in Louisiana that supported her. Anything greater than 50% would have won her the election. This is why I can't understand why Mississippi can't be closer to purple with its 38% Black population. With 38% Black support, all the Democrats is required to do is get at least something greater than 12% White support.

Last edited:
I don't feel.sorry for nobody in LOUISIANA, , if these mofo don't wake up,,, and actually VOTE THEY ARE STUPID, , PEOPLE OF LOUISIANA NEED TO REMEMBER THIS SPECIAL SESSION, where you had BIG business lobbyist in the pocket of the Republican Party basically wanting the poor of Louisiana to pay more taxes and the big businesses to basically pay nothing and also you have the Republican party rejecting the notion that the top tax bracket should pay their fair share of taxes..

I'm glad you all had to go through this as an entire state, so these people can see how voting effects them more than they think. Most of these people are so use to these type of situations only effecting the HBCU's that now they'll get a taste of it. But I'm glad Grambling and SU will be fine especially Gsu because I really was considering getting my masters from there.

What are thinking about your Master's in?

Back