SU: Proposed budget cuts could signal university's closure

Dr. Tripp

SU: Proposed budget cuts could signal university's closure
14 hours ago January 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016 Monday, January 25 2016 Monday, January 25, 2016 9:02:57 PM CST in News
Source: WBRZ
By: Trey Schmaltz

BATON ROUGE - In a plan released Monday night, Southern said worst-case-scenario budget cuts could effectively close the institution.

Because of the dire budget situation in Louisiana, Governor John Bel Edwards has asked state colleges and universities to submit proposals on cutting spending. The state currently faces a $750 million midyear budget deficit, and an estimated $1.9 billion deficit in the next fiscal year.

Southern said a reduction of the proposed $4,583,840 would "{signal} the closure of the institution due to less than baseline operations." There would be no summer school in May, June, July and August 2016 and faculty and stafff positions would be eliminated along with 200 courses. The Law Center would also cut staff and programs, the university said in an outline.

http://www1.wbrz.com/news/su-budget-cuts-signal-university-s-closure?_sm_au_=iVVf1Rn240BZSk4R

I can’t see how 4.5 mil can close Southern. Yes, that’s a large sum of money and it will make things tight but 4.5 mil is a long ways from needing to close the whole thing. I can see having to close Shreveport and New Orleans campuses or even cut some athletics and dropping to D3 before closing the whole Baton Rouge campus. WBRZ is just trying to get clicks.

Louisiana needs to look at Pennsylvania or Georgia for consolidation and closures it makes no sense for Louisiana to have that many public / state universities in a small state

I can’t see how 4.5 mil can close Southern. Yes, that’s a large sum of money and it will make things tight but 4.5 mil is a long ways from needing to close the whole thing. I can see having to close Shreveport and New Orleans campuses or even cut some athletics and dropping to D3 before closing the whole Baton Rouge campus. WBRZ is just trying to get clicks.

Louisiana needs to look at Pennsylvania or Georgia for consolidation and closures it makes no sense for Louisiana to have that many public / state universities in a small state

It's going to get real tight very soon. GSU is facing the same.

It's going to get real tight very soon. GSU is facing the same.

It’s going to be hard for all institutions to justify their existence moving forward. But closure for Grambling or Southern may not happen in our lifetime. I can’t see all out closure if the state would cut 4.5 mil every year for the next 10 years. Now there may be some people who might have to go to the house or move on to other places of employment.

It’s going to be hard for all institutions to justify their existence moving forward. But closure for Grambling or Southern may not happen in our lifetime. I can’t see all out closure if the state would cut 4.5 mil every year for the next 10 years. Now there may be some people who might have to go to the house or move on to other places of employment.

I am envisioning universities designed for specific majors in order to save money.

I am envisioning universities designed for specific majors in order to save money.

That should have happened a long time ago. Even if it means Grambling has to back to being a teacher’s college. They still turn out some darn good teachers.

Honestly I think, SU should just offer Engineering, Nursing, CS, Science, as brick and mortar degress everything else should be online, keep its strong Grad programs urban forestry, rehabilitation program, Nursing, Engineering /CS, Public Policy/PA, MBA, EVERYTHING else online, and the law school.

But honestly LSUA AND LSUS should be close down, and MSU, NSU, Nicholls State should be downsize..

The reason I did not put SUNO on the list because NOLA is big enough hopefully with basically with a whole new University, with all new academic buildings, and new programs like nursing and forensic science and soon technology and general engineering they can turn things around.

Call me crazy Have SU AND GSU everythought about going private... i know its crazy talk

Last edited:
Honestly I think, SU should just offer Engineering, Nursing, CS, Science, as brick and mortar degress everything else should be online, keep its strong Grad programs urban forestry, rehabilitation program, Nursing, Engineering /CS, Public Policy/PA, MBA, EVERYTHING else online, and the law school.

But honestly LSUA AND LSUS should be close down, and MSU, NSU, Nicholls State should be downsize..

The reason I did not put SUNO on the list because NOLA is big enough hopefully with basically with a whole new University, with all new academic buildings, and new programs like nursing and forensic science and soon technology and general engineering they can turn things around.

Call me crazy Have SU AND GSU everythought about going private... i know its crazy talk
SU has to keep their education and music programs too. Can't let those 2 go. SU has produced far too many teachers and successful musicians and music educators to just let those go by the wayside.

I am just going by numbers which you can see in any state level reports, SU is not producing teacher or music major like they are producing those majors on top.. I doubt because of the band program music would go,

What is so crazy.. is even though Blanco messed up Hurricane Katrina, she left lousiana in a surplus, and this mofo comes in and absolutely plundered everything

What is so crazy.. is even though Blanco messed up Hurricane Katrina, she left lousiana in a surplus, and this mofo comes in and absolutely plundered everything

What can you expect from a trained monkey??? Jindal was well groomed and trained to funnel money to the super rich.

Last edited:
SU is last or very close to being last when it come to STATE FUNDING among all public HBCUS, how much can you cut, hell the enrollment is back the rise, and the academics especially in ENGINEERING, NURSING, AND it's grad problems are doing well, but it's comes a time when enough is enough.

From a infrastructure standpoint SU is one of the worse among public hbcu, the advocate did a article that stated that the state is 20 years behind projects on SU campus,, now this....

SU not about shut down. They start these headlines every year as some sort of political strategy.

I actually agree with you, I think SU needs to focus on what is working as I stated above and trim the programs that are not working
To be honest I am actually jealous of most of the Southern HBCUS, because most HBCUS in the last few years have put infrastructure at the top of the list, compare to SU well ,yes the housing is not bad, pretty nice dorms, and the new student wellness center most of that came from federal money, , but academic buildings are in disrepair, and i starting to think it's becoming apparent, the state won't do nothing about it...Yes lousiana has a budget problem, but come on when 20 yrs behind on Construction projects it's makes you think

IMO, this is an attempt to rewrite the Louisiana constitution so that higher education is not drastically reduce when there is a budget shortfall.

Everytime the issue of the lousiana Constitution comes up,,, nothing is never done,, so the writing is on the WALL . EDUCATION AND HEALTH CARE IS NOT TOP priority.

IMO, this is an attempt to rewrite the Louisiana constitution so that higher education is not drastically reduce when there is a budget shortfall.

Everytime the issue of the lousiana Constitution comes up,,, nothing is never done,, so the writing is on the WALL . EDUCATION AND HEALTH CARE IS NOT TOP priority.

As I have told the State Rep here many times....until you policy makers restructure the Louisiana constitution you will have this problem...stop bullshitting and do the right thing.

Who said anything bad about MS,, if u can clearly read I said all Southern states are doing better with there HBCUS THEN LOUSIANA. ..... SMHHHH I GUESS YOU WANTED TO BE HEARD :rolleyes:o_O

Must be one of those Mississippi Bamas. LOL!!!

Back