Study: Sugar Bowl pumps more than $200M into city, state

GramFan

Study: Sugar Bowl pumps more than $200M into city, state

May 4, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW ORLEANS -- The 2005 Sugar Bowl produced an economic impact of $209.92 million for the city and state, according to a study completed by Dr. Timothy Ryan of the University of New Orleans.

"Dr. Ryan's study once again shows the tremendous effect that championship caliber college football can have for our city, the region and state," said Mark Romig, president of the Sugar Bowl Committee.

On January 3, Auburn, the undefeated champion of the Southeastern Conference, and Virginia Tech, the winner of the Atlantic Coast Conference, played before a sold-out crowd of 77,349. Auburn pulled out a 16-13 victory over the Hokies.

The bowl's overall economic impact was $110.18 million in direct visitor spending and an additional $99.74 million in secondary spending, Ryan's study concluded. State and local governments also realized $15.92 million in tax revenue.

"For 72 years, the Sugar Bowl has been one of the most reliable and forceful economic engines of tourism," Gov. Kathleen Blanco said.

Read more: http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/8443410

They can try to pump the sugar bowl up all they want but it is no comparison to the BAYOU CLASSIC. I have been to both. Besides when Lsu played in it you could get a hotel room downtown the day of the game. That is imposible during the BC. Bourbon and Canal Street look like any other weekend during the SB. During the BC it is jammed to capacity. Now they probable have more high end spenders during the SB but thats about it. The city of NO needs to stop doctoring the numbers from the BC. :redhot:

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
During the BC it is jammed to capacity. Now they probable have more high end spenders during the SB but thats about it.

How many of those people that are jamming Bourbon & Canal are spending serious cash money? Most of them are just hanging out trying to see the scenery.

Fiyah said:
How many of those people that are jamming Bourbon & Canal are spending serious cash money? Most of them are just hanging out trying to see the scenery.
They are spending money. Have you ever been to the BC. Maybe not in the white estabishments(clubs) but they are spending money.

well i've been to both. more people at the sugar bowl come from out of town as opposed to already being in new orleans or driving from Baton Rouge. In that regard, they will likely spend more money in the city.

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
They are spending money. Have you ever been to the BC. Maybe not in the white estabishments (clubs) but they are spending money.

Well I have been to both, including the Super Bowl a couple of years ago. I would say that the Bayou Classic is really crowded, but its not a lot of spending going on. I would say the estimated $50 million impact the classic has on the city is ok. You can get rooms during the classic as well. I know last year they had several rooms at the Inter-Continental available the day of the game.

I think that the classic is simply crowded with so many people trying to get into the atmosphere of the 'hangin out' genre of people. However, they arent spending any money. From all the lines of cars on Canal St. after the game and on Friday night, the gas stations should be the ones making the most money.

Plus the fact that the Sugar Bowl and Super Bowl both have teams that come from pretty far away, so there will be a lot more spending going on. At the Bayou Classic, many folks simply go to dinner (maybe), then go home.

Jagster said:
Well I have been to both, including the Super Bowl a couple of years ago. I would say that the Bayou Classic is really crowded, but its not a lot of spending going on. I would say the estimated $50 million impact the classic has on the city is ok. You can get rooms during the classic as well. I know last year they had several rooms at the Inter-Continental available the day of the game.

I think that the classic is simply crowded with so many people trying to get into the atmosphere of the 'hangin out' genre of people. However, they arent spending any money. From all the lines of cars on Canal St. after the game and on Friday night, the gas stations should be the ones making the most money.

Plus the fact that the Sugar Bowl and Super Bowl both have teams that come from pretty far away, so there will be a lot more spending going on. At the Bayou Classic, many folks simply go to dinner (maybe), then go home.

Can't argue with that assessment.

You all are crazy if you think black folks are not spending money in the Big Easy Bayou Classic weekend. I have been going since 1974. I have waited so many times to get tables in restaurants until it is a shame. The price of hotels are always "jacked up." Have any of you clowns been to eastern New Orleans during BC weekend. In some places it is like an act of congress to get a drink there are so many people in establishments. Do you know how many people fly into New Orleans for that game? Do you all know how many people rent cars in New Orleans for that weekend? Do you realize how many alumni chapters from out of state has suite/tickets for $100.00 a whop? Some of you all sound crazy. Over 300,000 people converge on New Orleans on an yearly basis for the BC. Of course you have quite a few young kids that like to "cruise and hang out." But by the same token you have thousands of people spending money. Do you all realize that 40-50,000 people go to the battle of the bands BC eve. Do you all realize that people are spending big bucks to go to concerts also? Do you all realize that people driving all over New Orleans must buy GAS? I can go on but that will not change the "ice water syndrome."

I don't see how this article relates to the Bayou Classic. It seems to just be stating the facts about the Sugar Bowl. We probably won't win a fight placing the BC next to the SB in Louisiana.

A better fight would be Louisiana's relationship with the Independence Bowl in Shreveport. La pays 1M to keep this game and I know it's no where close to the economic impact of the BC. I wonder how they justify this 1M when the BC receives nothing from Louisiana and has a far greater economic impact.

That's why I still think we sold ourselves short when we refused to move the game out of Louisiana for 1 year instead of signing a new contract... But we were loyal to Louisiana when it showed it did not care about us. A couple of cheaper hotels and we were happy :smh:

Jag Voice said:
I don't see how this article relates to the Bayou Classic. It seems to just be stating the facts about the Sugar Bowl. We probably won't win a fight placing the BC next to the SB in Louisiana.

A better fight would be Louisiana's relationship with the Independence Bowl in Shreveport. La pays 1M to keep this game and I know it's no where close to the economic impact of the BC. I wonder how they justify this 1M when the BC receives nothing from Louisiana and has a far greater economic impact.

That's why I still think we sold ourselves short when we refused to move the game out of Louisiana for 1 year instead of signing a new contract... But we were loyal to Louisiana when it showed it did not care about us. A couple of cheaper hotels and we were happy :smh:

JV, I'll agree with you on the Indy Bowl but moving the Classic out of state for one year is uncivilize. Some don't understand the convention cycle. They book their invents 5-10 years in advance. We lose that weekend and we'll probably never get it back. The weather during that time of year is prime for major groups to visit. I live here and know a few people in the hotel business. Think they will leave a date out for us if we move it for "one year"? Everything is long term in that industry and some will love to give that weekend to a major corporation. The mass majority of the people you see hanging on the Canal Street and Bouborn are youth just hanging. They are not spending money and it's a turn off for does who will because the first time someone $200 tennis shoe get step on there's a shooting. The cruising problem was solve late last year and should be better for traffic downtown this year and in the future. But we don't spend nowhere as much as the sugarbowl fans. Those fans come in town without tickets but will gather at the local bar/pubs and spend $1000's in drinks and food. That crusing crowd aint spending nothing because most are under age.

Jag Voice said:

:read:

Say that one mo 'gain JV!

Has there been a <b>true</b> study on the BC's impact? Hard fast #s? Non-biased of course.

Panthro said:

Has there been a true study on the BC's impact? Hard fast #s? Non-biased of course.

Still won't compare to the study mentioned above. There are things both Universities can do to have an bigger impact/payday but just like alot of other things we have the wrong people making decisions. Just think about all the youth just hanging around that weekend. Have an invent that cater to them and they will spend their money on it.:idea: Traffic will flow better downtown, more people will come to the french quarter to eat and drink, our annual Pat' O Brien event will be off the hizzy, and so on but because we're dealing with a mostly black urban thang nobody want to address it.:scared:

JROCK said:
You all are crazy if you think black folks are not spending money in the Big Easy Bayou Classic weekend. I have been going since 1974. I have waited so many times to get tables in restaurants until it is a shame. The price of hotels are always "jacked up." Have any of you clowns been to eastern New Orleans during BC weekend. In some places it is like an act of congress to get a drink there are so many people in establishments. Do you know how many people fly into New Orleans for that game? Do you all know how many people rent cars in New Orleans for that weekend? Do you realize how many alumni chapters from out of state has suite/tickets for $100.00 a whop? Some of you all sound crazy. Over 300,000 people converge on New Orleans on an yearly basis for the BC. Of course you have quite a few young kids that like to "cruise and hang out." But by the same token you have thousands of people spending money. Do you all realize that 40-50,000 people go to the battle of the bands BC eve. Do you all realize that people are spending big bucks to go to concerts also? Do you all realize that people driving all over New Orleans must buy GAS? I can go on but that will not change the "ice water syndrome."
Thank You J-Rock. They don't have any idea how much money is spent during the BC. Some of you guys are selling yourself short. Please attend a sugar bowl when lsu is not involved and you will see.

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
Thank You J-Rock. They don't have any idea how much money is spent during the BC. Some of you guys are selling yourself short. Please attend a sugar bowl when lsu is not involved and you will see.

Please don't equate money to number of folks in town. I live here. Like I posted above the Univerities can capitalize on that but they have no vision. What have changed or been added in the last few years? It takes the committee (Bayou Classic) working with the city to solve this issue. Hell if I could get paid for the invents I've hosted over the years I'll have a little change too. Never asked a sole for a penny, just filling the gap.

Big money is being spent. Trust that. Look at all the concerts,partys, battle of bands, and other things that the SB doesn't have. Every black club in NO is packed that weekend. Hell Popeyes and Wendys :winkgrin: on canal don't close and according to employees is the busyiest weekend of the year. Those youngsters spend more money than adults , they don't have as much responsibility.

SJTID, I don't think nobody is disputing the fact that the BC crowds spend money, but they're not spending the type of doe the SB crowd is spending. Believe me, I'm from New Orleans, and I've seen a SB when LSU is not involved. Actually the Chamber Of Commerce would rather LSU not come, because they fear the LSU crowd won't spend as much as another visiting school (outside of UF & FSU).

The BC crowd spends money, but that crowd is not filling the big money restaurants (but you can't get in the fast food places), or bars. They go to private parties that are thrown by the Frats, Sorrorities, and other groups, instead of filling the French Quarter bars (which I don't blame them), they buy souveniers from merchants, and vendors that just came in for the game, instead of the New Orleans Souvenier shops, and they're mainly a lot of high school/college kids that don't have a lot of disposable income to just throw away.

It's easier to get rooms for the SB because unlike the BC, you don't know who's playing in the game until the month before the game is played, whereas the BC I know the date of the game right now, and I know who's playing in it. Much easier to plan for this game now, than the Sugar Bowl. Last year at this time, I, nor anyne else could tell you Auburn, or Virginia Tech would be in the Sugar Bowl much less a New Year's Day, or post New Year's Day game.

I don't like comparing the 2 because they're apples to oranges, 2 totally different crowds, with 2 totally different make ups. One game is for bragging rights, that's heavily attended by locals, which a good majority don't arrive until game day, and leave right after. Not to say the crowd isn't big, but a lot of income stays with them until they arrive, and it leaves with them when they roll after the game.

The 2nd, you have 2 teams that may not have been to New Orleans before (or in a while), and a national championship could be on the line, you have goobs of fans coming for the week, instead of the weekend, more corporate, and outside money, people who actually want to eat in New Orleans restaurants, that will buy New Orleans souveniers as well as school paraphanailia comemorating their trip to the Sugar Bowl, and it's New Year's so the drinks will be flowing, not to mention you have kids that are home for the semester break that will be out partying with other college kids that are in town. Face it, OUR kids don't party in the French Quarter, unless something is going on at the House Of Blues.

NICE

BgJag said:
JV, I'll agree with you on the Indy Bowl but moving the Classic out of state for one year is uncivilize. Some don't understand the convention cycle. They book their invents 5-10 years in advance. We lose that weekend and we'll probably never get it back. The weather during that time of year is prime for major groups to visit. I live here and know a few people in the hotel business. Think they will leave a date out for us if we move it for "one year"? Everything is long term in that industry and some will love to give that weekend to a major corporation.

I haven't done the reearch so I don't know if we would lose Thanksgiving weekend if we moved the game for a year or not. I know it benefits the hotel industry in NO to use this as a "scare tactic". At one time, NO couldn't give away rooms during Thankgiving weekend.

My point is we might as well stop complaining because we had our chance to really negotiate with the state of LA before we signed another contract.

My beef would not be with the City of NO but with the State of LA. They would have to show me some real hard facts to explain why the Independence Bowl gets 1M from the state. I wouldn't even try to fight the BC vs Sugar Bowl battle.

Panthro said:

Has there been a <b>true</b> study on the BC's impact? Hard fast #s? Non-biased of course.

I don't know the source of Fields' information, but a couple of years ago there was a lot of talk about the impact of the BC. The numbers thrown out were always around $50 Million.

"These schools are spending like $400,000 to lease this facility (the Superdome), and the impact on the state is over $50 million for that weekend," said Fields, D-Baton Rouge.

http://traveltax.msu.edu/news/Stories/advocate.htm

Jag Voice said:
My beef would not be with the City of NO but with the State of LA. They would have to show me some real hard facts to explain why the Independence Bowl gets 1M from the state. I wouldn't even try to fight the BC vs Sugar Bowl battle.

JV, I think they give the I-Bowl the money to keep the game in Shreveport, let's face it, other than that game, why does anyone go to Shreveport? That 1 million dollars is nothing more than an inducement to keep that game in Shreveport, to fill up hotel rooms, that would otherwise go empty if it weren't for that game.

Sure people go there to gamble, but I'm sure they're not going in the number that they're going for that game, especially when it's (I-Bowl) in the middle of the week.

It's a small investment in making more money on the back end. I'm not saying that to say that we're not worthy of the money, but New Orleans can sustain itself during the year, but will Shreveport, or northern La for that matter have another weekend like that without the I-Bowl?

Just a chance to let another part of the state to make some tourism money, outside of the normal course of business.

NICE

D-NICE said:
SJTID, I don't think nobody is disputing the fact that the BC crowds spend money, but they're not spending the type of doe the SB crowd is spending. Believe me, I'm from New Orleans, and I've seen a SB when LSU is not involved. Actually the Chamber Of Commerce would rather LSU not come, because they fear the LSU crowd won't spend as much as another visiting school (outside of UF & FSU).
Yall are crazy.

D-NICE said:
The BC crowd spends money, but that crowd is not filling the big money restaurants (but you can't get in the fast food places), or bars. They go to private parties that are thrown by the Frats, Sorrorities, and other groups, instead of filling the French Quarter bars (which I don't blame them), they buy souveniers from merchants, and vendors that just came in for the game, instead of the New Orleans Souvenier shops, and they're mainly a lot of high school/college kids that don't have a lot of disposable income to just throw away.
The French Quarter bars that plays black music that weekend are jammed pack. The bars that don't cater to the crowd don't deserve to have business.

D-NICE said:
It's easier to get rooms for the SB because unlike the BC, you don't know who's playing in the game until the month before the game is played, whereas the BC I know the date of the game right now, and I know who's playing in it. Much easier to plan for this game now, than the Sugar Bowl. Last year at this time, I, nor anyne else could tell you Auburn, or Virginia Tech would be in the Sugar Bowl much less a New Year's Day, or post New Year's Day game.
The hotel situation is not even comparable. There have been hotel employees that have told me that besides Mardi Gras , the BC weekend is the busyiest. Now don't even mention the Jacked up hotel rates, and parking($40 everytime you move your car) or the how if you have more than 4 people in the room they charge $50 per person.

D-NICE said:
I don't like comparing the 2 because they're apples to oranges, 2 totally different crowds, with 2 totally different make ups. One game is for bragging rights, that's heavily attended by locals, which a good majority don't arrive until game day, and leave right after. Not to say the crowd isn't big, but a lot of income stays with them until they arrive, and it leaves with them when they roll after the game.
The BC has just as many out of towners for that weekend.

D-NICE said:
The 2nd, you have 2 teams that may not have been to New Orleans before (or in a while), and a national championship could be on the line, you have goobs of fans coming for the week, instead of the weekend, more corporate, and outside money, people who actually want to eat in New Orleans restaurants, that will buy New Orleans souveniers as well as school paraphanailia comemorating their trip to the Sugar Bowl, and it's New Year's so the drinks will be flowing, not to mention you have kids that are home for the semester break that will be out partying with other college kids that are in town. Face it, OUR kids don't party in the French Quarter, unless something is going on at the House Of Blues.
I can tell you don't know to much about the night scene at the BC. Every downtown club that caters to blacks are packed that weekend. 360, Dreams, The Loft, H of Blues, just to name a few are packed. Don't expect us to come to your club if your not playing our music.

I went to the BC twice under the age of 25 and I bet I spent a total of $100 combined each time. The first time I stayed in the dorms with my cousin at UNO and we bought tickets to the game and BOTB off the street for little of nothing. Our night included hanging on Canal and Bourbon for FREE.

The 2nd time was more of the same except me and my buddy split a room for the weekend. We still ate pizza and hung out for FREE most of the weekend.

I dont' know if the SB has as many free-loaders like me.

Back