Steve Harvey Challenges ASU Students to ‘Be Great’

Olde Hornet

http://www.alasu.edu/news/news-details/index.aspx?nid=2857

Steve Harvey brought his own brand of wit and wisdom to the Spring Commencement Exercises at Alabama State University.

“I am not going to give this class a speech; I’m (going) to give you a lesson — just one more before you get out of here,” said Harvey. “I’m (going) to tell you the … truth about how to get from the back to the front and how to get from the bottom to the top.”

Harvey spoke before an overflow audience in the Dunn-Oliver Acadome on May 7, 2016.

A total of 500 students -- 413 undergraduates and 87 graduates -- were candidates for degrees. Four graduates received their commissions as officers in the United States Air Force, and 47 student-athletes were awarded diplomas.

“This year, our graduates included 50 students who earned summa cum laude honors, the highest number ever at Alabama State University,” said President Gwendolyn E. Boyd.

Boyd opened the ceremony by holding a brief memorial for three faculty members, two students and an ASU employee who died during the 2025-16 academic year: Dr. Tracy Banks, associate professor of communications; Dr. Samuel Scott, professor of basic sciences in the Department of Occupational Therapy; Dr. Kenneth Deal, assistant professor of English; D’Angelo Brown, recruiter in the Office of Admissions & Recruitment; and students, Demetrius Sherod Bell of Greenville, Ala., and Dewayne Dowdell of Opelika, Ala.

Back