SSU Hires Broadnax

orange tiger

New Tiger in Town

Savannah ? Savannah State University Athletics Director Tony O?Neal named Horace Broadnax the head coach for the Savannah State University men?s basketball team. Broadnax will begin his new role Monday April 11, 2005.

In making the announcement, O?Neal said, ?Coach Broadnax has a deep passion for coaching student athletes and has demonstrated twice in his career that he can revitalize challenged basketball programs. We believe our students have the athletic ability, and I am confident Coach Broadnax can nurture the talent and ability of our players to help them be successful in the classroom and on the court.?

A practicing attorney, Broadnax was head men?s basketball coach at Bethune-Cookman College, an NCAA Division 1 school in Daytona Beach, Fla., from 1997 until 2002. The Plant City, Fla. Native is credited with reviving the men?s basketball program at Bethune-Cookman College. During his second year as head coach he was voted the MEAC men?s coach of the year after turning around a team that finished 1-26 in his 1st year to a 5th place finish with a 10-9 conference record.

Prior to Bethune-Cookman College, Broadnax was the head men?s basketball coach at Valencia Community College in Orlando, Fla. For 2 years, where he recorded the school?s 1st 20 win season in 1996-97. He also worked as the video coordinator for the men?s basketball team at the University of Florida and held assistant basketball coaching positions at Bethune-Cookman and Florida A&M.

Broadnax received his bachelor?s degree in finance at Georgetown University in 1986. At Georgetown he was a point guard for John Thompson and helped the Hoyas win the 1984 NCAA title. He received his law degree from Florida State College of Law in 1991 and became a member of the Florida Bar in 1993.

?I am extremely humbled and grateful for the opportunity to return to coaching,? said Broadnax. ?The timing was right for me and I am pleased that I get to work with Mr. O?Neal again because the people are sometimes more important than the resources available to a program. I look forward to working hard and having fun.

The SSU men?s basketball team finished the 2004-05 season winless.

I'm just wondering aloud y'all,but why would Broadnax give up a lucrative law career to coach Div.II collegiate basketball?But if he's happy, then I'm peacock proud for him.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Orange Tiger,

Of the 79 peopole that applied, why pick somebody with a coaching record of 42-88?

More than likely, because most if not all that applied had similar records or zero head coaching experience at the collegiate Division I level.

Jafus (Thinker) said:
Orange Tiger,

Proably because most if not all that applied had similar records or zero head coaching experience at the collegiate Division I level.

LMAOOO!!!!!

dead end job unless they get a conference affiliation.....this guy had nothing to lose, he was a d-1 head coach with marginal success so this won't be a career killer....

Jackson from AAMU goes up there and gets his head beat in at a bad HBCU...he's basically finished forever.

from a career standoint..good move by SSU.

the band fan said:
Jackson from AAMU goes up there and gets his head beat in at a bad HBCU...he's basically finished forever.

what are you talking about?

how did Broadnax have marginal success at BCC.
the wildcats have not had a wining season since the mid 70s

Giving him the job was a scam from the very beginning.

Look for the BCC sports info director to be the next SID at SSU.
I will bet the farm on that

Every coach that has left SSU has had some success:
Sammy Jacon (AAMU)
Phil Wallace (Morris Brown)
Jacques Curtis (Shaw)
John Williams (WSSU)
Steve Wilks (Notre Dame)
Daryl McNeil (SC State)
Gerg Green (Tuskegee)
and the list goes on....

Being a native Plant Citian, I knew Horace when he was in diapers. He is a hard worker and a true John Thompson protege. SSU has a selected someone with excellent coaching potential IFF-F-F-F-F-F you can recruit players who are willing to work as hard as Horace will coach them. Otherwise, this move will not be beneficial.

Back