Spanish man is gored in Pamplona

EB

Spanish man is gored in Pamplonahttp://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060710/ap_on_re_eu/spain_running_of_the_bulls

By ALVARO BARRIENTOS, Associated Press Writer
Mon Jul 10, 7:13 AM ET

PAMPLONA, Spain - A Spanish man was gored in the leg Monday as hundreds of thrill-seekers ran through the streets of Pamplona alongside six enormous bulls.

Meanwhile, a 31-year-old American man's condition deteriorated overnight while he was in intensive care after being left partially paralyzed in a side event Friday on the first day of the San Fermin festival, Pamplona spokeswoman Begona Lopez told The Associated Press.

In the fourth of the festival's eight planned runs on Monday, six bulls charged along the 875-yard route leading to the bull ring in just over two minutes with only one incident where a leading bull caught a man.

This happens every year. I knew a guy from Grad School that went to the running of the bulls. He really got a rush from the experience. I thought he was nuts, but whatever floats your boat.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
HUMMMMMMMMMM.................:)

3 on the first day and 1 today.

Bull's 4...................Idiot's 0.:emlaugh:

JAG89 said:
What is the historic meaning to this?

It really got popularized when the event was described in one or Ernest Hemingway's novels. Can't recall the exact name of the book.

I read somewhere that the running of the bulls symbolizes the defeat of the Moors control over Spain. It was a tactic used to get a few Moors soldiers to an arena where the soldiers would be out numbered and killed. After the Moors left Spain, the people continued the practice with bulls. Ironically, this is not to much different in what is going on in Iraq. Last month, three of our soldiers were killed in the same type of ambush.

Back