Southern's AD in Shreveport

Storm96

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060523/SPORTS02/605230319/1026

Southern AD talks business with local fans
May 23, 2006

Alums hope to entice Jags football game to Shreveport.

By Brian McCallum

bmccallum@gannett.com

Greg LaFleur got down to business quickly, and his audience appreciated the honesty.

The first-year Southern University athletic director was the guest of the Multicultural Tourism Commission on Monday, addressing a group of local fans and alumni, mostly on the possibility of bringing a Jags football game to Independence Stadium.

LaFleur, who said his department is feeling the affects of Hurricane Katrina and lost revenue, immediately made the point that the team doesn't travel lightly or inexpensively.

LaFleur said the university must be assured it could generate $250,000, after expenses, to move a home game to Shreveport. More likely is another university moving its own home game -- on the week Southern is the visiting team -- to Independence Stadium.

"We'd love to start a new relationship with Shreveport, but, at the same time, it is a business," LaFleur said. "If we could make the dollars work, generate at least $250,000 for Southern University, we would entertain the thought of coming here to play. We need to have a strong presence in northwest Louisiana."

Shreveport City Council member Calvin Lester, a Southern graduate, said playing a game locally makes business sense for the city, too, because of the sales tax revenue generated from visitors.

Since Hurricane Rita, city officials have aggressively sought to attract football games including one from Tulane and the Louisiana High School Athletic Association championship games. Each have been offered financial breaks on use of the stadium.

"If we want to have events here that are going to be successful, we have to be just as aggressive with inducements," Lester said. "That's a lot of (tax) money that Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It doesn't make sense for us not to use those inducements."

Lester was particularly pleased by the presence of SU Quarterback Club officials. He's been working to start a Shreveport chapter for at least a year.

"We're going to have a Quarterback Club in Shreveport; the question is just when," Lester said. "In the last few months, we've been talking about it a whole lot more."

LaFleur gave the alums a rundown of the athletic department's financial situation after the hurricane cost the program a home football game -- losing about $250,000 in revenue -- and cut down on attendance the rest of the season.

Southern's athletic department enters the year with a deficit around $400,000.

Because of the money problems, he wants to boost the season ticket base from 6,300 tickets to at least 10,000.

"It's more business than sports," he said. "Southern University is going to have to have a different approach. If we don't sell tickets, we're going to be going uphill for a long time."

He is also seeking a road game against a major Division I-A opponent that could bring in $300,000 or more.

As for playing in Shreveport, LaFleur recommended local alums work on convincing Texas Southern or Prairie View to bring their home games against Southern to Shreveport. Prairie View is scheduled to host the Jags on the third weekend of September but does not have an available facility because of scheduling conflicts.

Southern plays at TSU on the first weekend of November.

"I would encourage Shreveport to be in touch with Texas Southern, because Texas Southern has a hard time with their schedule," LaFleur said. "I'm sure we could guarantee each team their expenses to come here and then a little lagniappe on top of that."

Shreveport's chief administrative officer, Ken Antee, was interested upon hearing of Southern's consideration of the city, but Antee said he has not been contacted about a Southern game yet.

"No, but we have a standing invitation to anybody who wants to play here that will bring a college game to shreveport," he said, referring to inducements to use the stadium. "We would be interested in going further with that."

There is apparently little chance of Southern playing Grambling State here.

LaFleur expects the Bayou Classic game against the Tigers to return to New Orleans and the Superdome after a year in Houston due to hurricane damage.

"Right now, according to people in New Orleans, the Dome should be ready by September 24," LaFleur said. "We haven't heard that officially, but, if not, we'll be back in Houston."

Storm96 said:
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060523/SPORTS02/605230319/1026

As for playing in Shreveport, LaFleur recommended local alums work on convincing Texas Southern or Prairie View to bring their home games against Southern to Shreveport. Prairie View is scheduled to host the Jags on the third weekend of September but does not have an available facility because of scheduling conflicts.

"I would encourage Shreveport to be in touch with Texas Southern, because Texas Southern has a hard time with their schedule," LaFleur said. "I'm sure we could guarantee each team their expenses to come here and then a little lagniappe on top of that."

Well I can expect for the Prairie View game to be played somewhere in Texas and not be moved to Shreveport. Also he need to recheck his schedule because the Texas Southern game is Southerns home game, they played in Houston last year against TSU.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Storm96 said:

Let me be more PC:

Our AD would sell our football team to anyone if it would generate money.

Fiyah said:
Well I can expect for the Prairie View game to be played somewhere in Texas and not be moved to Shreveport. Also he need to recheck his schedule because the Texas Southern game is Southerns home game, they played in Houston last year against TSU.

Just thought about your comment Fiyah and agree with you.

By the way, the only thing that's hard about our schedule is venues not teams to compete against.

we tried Shreveport in 2003...failed miserably....no way

LaFleur is pretty cool..he actually sat in the stands during the baseball tournament and discussed whatever the SU fans wanted to know

the band fan said:
we tried Shreveport in 2003...failed miserably....no way

LaFleur is pretty cool..he actually sat in the stands during the baseball tournament and discussed whatever the SU fans wanted to know

What did our.... nevermind. :look:

Fiyah said:

I would imagine he was speaking of the following season.

jag4life said:

I can only go by whats was printed in this article.

Storm96 said:

This is Southern's actual schedule according to their website.

2006 SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

Sept. 2 BETHUNE-COOKMAN Jacksonville, FL
Sept. 9 MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE BATON ROUGE
Sept. 16 @ Prairie View A&M Houston, TX
Sept. 23 NORTH CAROLINA CENTRAL BATON ROUGE
Sept. 30 ALABAMA STATE BATON ROUGE
Oct. 7 @ Alabama A&M Huntsville, AL
Oct. 14 @ Jackson State Jackson, MS
Oct. 21 @ Alcorn State Lorman, MS
Oct. 28 OPEN
Nov. 4 TEXAS SOUTHERN BATON ROUGE
Nov. 11 ARK-PINE BLUFF BATON ROUGE
Nov. 18 OPEN
Nov. 25 vs. GRAMBLING STATE TBA

http://gojagsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012006aaa.html

Fiyah said:
I can only go by whats was printed in this article.

This is Southern's actual schedule according to their website.

Frat, I am sure he is talking future. PV plays us this year in Texas and TSU in 2007. Plus the money he is talking about will take Shreveport more than a few months to get together to invite teams to play there. I understand exactly what he is talking about. For the first time someone has told Shreveport the truth of the matter, instead of just moving a game there.

That November 11 game with UAPB could work in Shreveport! The Red River Classic was a sucess until consecutive years of rain and bad promotions killed it. UAPB fans would travel to that more so that to Baton Rouge!!!

philharmonic said:
That November 11 game with UAPB could work in Shreveport! The Red River Classic was a sucess until consecutive years of rain and bad promotions killed it. UAPB fans would travel to that more so that to Baton Rouge!!!
He is not going to move a home game with less expenses and where he might get 20,000 plus to Shreveport to gain maybe 2,000 more UAPB fans. Unfortunately, it needs to be somebody with a name to them to take up there. We tried PVU (failed), MVSU (failed), and Northwestern State (failed). If they expect BR to travel six hours away for a game, and into a city wih little to do other than the game, it's going to have to be somebody who SU would think would have Mumford filled and people still wanting tickets to get in IMO.

jag4life said:

He was suggesting that PV move its home game this year.

"As for playing in Shreveport, LaFleur recommended local alums work on convincing Texas Southern or Prairie View to bring their home games against Southern to Shreveport. Prairie View is scheduled to host the Jags on the third weekend of September but does not have an available facility because of scheduling conflicts."

Storm96 said:
He was suggesting that PV move its home game this year.

"As for playing in Shreveport, LaFleur recommended local alums work on convincing Texas Southern or Prairie View to bring their home games against Southern to Shreveport. Prairie View is scheduled to host the Jags on the third weekend of September but does not have an available facility because of scheduling conflicts."

I am sure he was for PV and in 07 for TxSU. I think his reference was to the scheduling of venues issue for both schools yearly when it comes to playing us when its PV or TxSU's home game. Now if I was either school, I wouldn't do it. Shreveport has never come out for these games we have had there.

JR said:
I am sure he was for PV and in 07 for TxSU. I think his reference was to the scheduling of venues issue for both schools yearly when it comes to playing us when its PV or TxSU's home game. Now if I was either school, I wouldn't do it. Shreveport has never come out for these games we have had there.

I thought the game in '03 would've done better than it did. The locals didn't come out @ all. Maybe it was because we were in GSU's backyard or something. Not sure.

One thing's for certain. PV should really want to acquire a venue like yesterday so that we can have a stolid location for the game against SU this fall. :| It's already about to be June and we still haven't heard anything. :confused:

If the right amt of guaranteed $$$$ were evident, I'd bet PV would move it's home game to Shrevey. :smug:

Panthro said:
I thought the game in '03 would've done better than it did. The locals didn't come out @ all. Maybe it was because we were in GSU's backyard or something. Not sure.

One thing's for certain. PV should really want to acquire a venue like yesterday so that we can have a stolid location for the game against SU this fall. :| It's already about to be June and we still haven't heard anything. :confused:

If the right amt of guaranteed $$$$ were evident, I'd bet PV would move it's home game to Shrevey. :smug:
Laffeyette would be an ideal location if ULL doesn't have a home game that weekend. SU fans and Laff. natives would turn out in droves. SU has never played in the flats :lol: .

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
SUjagTILLiDIE said:
Laffeyette would be an ideal location if ULL doesn't have a home game that weekend. SU fans and Laff. natives would turn out in droves. SU has never played in the flats :lol: .

Honestly, I'm all for moving the game back to Scotlandville. I REALLY enjoyed the visit last fall. :read:

Fiyah, call the crew and tell'em we're gonna' need another "party" bus to get this thing going again. :) lol

I wonder if consideration would be given to the Dallas/Ft Worth area for a venue? :read:

they played in Dallas in 86 or 87......one game a year in Dallas is all we need for now...the market has not proven to support 2 games

the band fan said:
they played in Dallas in 86 or 87......one game a year in Dallas is all we need for now...the market has not proven to support 2 games

Whoa tbf! :D

It was fall 1987. I'd just left a summer internship w/ some fellow Jags and we all hooked up here(d/fw). In fact, that was the immediate weekend preceeding the PVU-GSU SFC. Can you say 52K+? Looked like it was wall-to-wall packed but if memory serves correct, they announced attendance @ 52,000 something. :) The following w/e, it was 65,000+. :)

I think the experiment w/ Tx Stadium w/ those other 4 HBCU games over various weekends was a flop. But, PV-SU @ the Cotton Bowl in Sept? :confused: Hmmmmmmmmmmm...... It would have to be marketed like crazy up this way!

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
:nod: :nod: Not a problem Jag.

CajunField-visitor.jpg

cajun100.jpg

I believe that was 2001 when we played SU in Shreveport, there was like a battle of the bands the night before and we played in the Independence Stadium or Bowl, I just remember they was renovating it.

Back