SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY 2005 FOOTBALL SIGNEES

MikeBigg said:
We simply revisited some hotbeads of ours. Birmingham, East Baton Rouge Parish, and Houston has been good for us.

ILB Brandon Arnold, 6-6, 220, Parker (Birmingham, AL) HS: Named all-city by the Birmingham Athletic Partnership this season. Arnold, who is eligible, played through his junior season for GSU LB coach Andre Robinson.

ATH/WR Aaron Brown, 6-2, 200, Northeast HS: Ranked No. 45 receiver in the nation by Rivals.com, which had Brown at 4.47 in the 40. Also a Preseason Louisiana Top 30, but he did not qualify. Brother of former All-SWAC cornerback Chris Brown.

FS Carnell Clark, 6-1, 195, Parker (Birmingham, AL) HS: Coaches list him at 4.3 in the 40. A top high jumper in Birmingham metro area, he also played forward on the school's basketball team. He's eligible.

DL Thomas Collins, 6-4, 315, Mitchell (Memphis, TN) HS: Collins, coaches say, is strong and runs well. A non-qualifier, he's expected to provide depth for a couple of years down the road.

CB Nigel Copeland, 6-0, 190, Minor (Birmingham, AL) HS: Heavily recruited but some thought he wouldn't qualify. Late in the process, he did. With a reported 4.4 speed in the 40, coaches call Copeland a steal.

WR/KR Xavier Covington, 5-7, 180, Mitchell (Memphis) HS: Coaches say he is very shifty, with great moves. A qualifier, he also competed in various track and field events, including the 3,200 and 1,600 relays, and discus.

DE Brandon George, 6-2, 240, Bossier HS: Three-year all-district and all-parish honoree, George also has starting experience at offensive guard. A member of the 2003 Academic All-State team, he nevertheless did not qualify.

LB Carl Harrell, 6-1, 225, Clinton HS: A three-year starter, and first-team All-District 8-2A member, he led team in tackles for the second straight season with 150. He's eligible.

DE DeNarius Hassell, 6-5, 245, Mitchell (Memphis, MS) HS: A veteran of school's state runner-up team in 2002, Harrell is a non-qualifier who got good notices from Rivals.com after attending Nike summer camp and MSL Combine in Memphis.

OT/DT Muhammad Karim, 6-3, 303, Lincoln (Dallas, TX) HS: Helped pave the way for a dramatic 13-1 run last season before losing on a blocked kick in overtime in state championship game. He's eligible.

DL Melvin Matthews, 6-2, 200, Clinton HS: Followed up 2003 honorable mention with first-team all-District 8-2A honors. Called Player to Watch by The (Baton Rouge) Advocate. Also eligible.

DL/OL Chris Rainey, 6-2, 365, North Caddo HS: Coaches say he shows great athleticism. A non-qualifier who might one day play either offensive line or on the nose.

LB/DE Bertel Riley, 6-3, 250, McKinley HS: A non-qualifier who could work his way into being on of the top defensive ends in the country. Oklahoma State and LSU took looks before an injury slowed him down.

LB Joseph Robinson, 6-0, 225, Minor (Birmingham, AL) HS: Coaches describe him as tough, in style of former All-SWAC defender Robert Taylor. Could fill a major need down the road. He's eligible.

FS Dominique Taylor, 6-3, 190, Shreveport Woodlawn HS: With 78 tackles, he was No. 2 on the Knights' team for stops ? though he comes to GSU as a non-qualifier. Taylor, who pulled down five interceptions last season, also plays basketball.
e kids are props but they in some cases they have "Grambling roots"...

Jags had a good recruiting campaign in Texas and the River Parishes (an area where we got a good one from Hahnville and where we need to reconnect).
So yall got Aaron Brown from Northeast High. I thought we had a excellent chance of getting him after Florida St. backed off because of his grades. He is a steel. He just had surgery yesterday on his torn acl. God only knows why he waited so late since his injury occurred mid-season. But anyway good pick up. I bet his brother(Chris Brown) had something to do with it. :kaioken: :kaioken:

JROCK said:
I don't know much about Poland avenue but know a whole lot about Florida Ave. And there cannot be any more drugs are adverse influences in Montgomery than in lower 9 N.O. (I know...lived in the Big Easy a good part of my adult life) Drugs are everywhere and to sterotype a kid based on any environment is wrong. I am suprised that you are trying to defend this pitiful typecasting:

GSUp..........Do you really want to attempt to defend this moronic statement?

Whateva man. Save that sensitive talk Mr. Tresvant... I call it how I know it... I WENT TO CARVER! Raised in the area, so what... It is how it is...

Not to even mention that I was just missing around in the FIRST PLACE!
But naaaaaawl, Mr. Tresvant... you gotta cry foul *smh*

I guess I'll hear from Alvin Holmes next... :retard:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
SlickPartna said:
Whateva man. Save that sensitive talk Mr. Tresvant... I call it how I know it... I WENT TO CARVER! Raised in the area, so what... It is how it is...

Not to even mention that I was just missing around in the FIRST PLACE!
But naaaaaawl, Mr. Tresvant... you gotta cry foul *smh*

I guess I'll hear from Alvin Holmes next... :retard:

I guess we can definitely say you hit the weed and dropped the books too.

JR said:
Hey JSU99, what do you know about the Stamps kid from Warren Central we recruited? Is he related to former JSU and Atlanta Falcons rb Sylvester "Zip Code" Stamps who's also from Vicksburg.

That's his uncle. He'll have some trouble qualifying, but if he does, that's a good signing. He's a prototype cover corner.

Am I late? I see on this info it shows who's academically qualified or not.....................http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/recruiting/2005/su_caps.shtml
SUjagTILLiDIE said:
So yall got Aaron Brown from Northeast High. I thought we had a excellent chance of getting him after Florida St. backed off because of his grades. He is a steel. He just had surgery yesterday on his torn acl. God only knows why he waited so late since his injury occurred mid-season. But anyway good pick up. I bet his brother(Chris Brown) had something to do with it. :kaioken: :kaioken:
Don't worry we're loaded up at WRs & RB's

to make it easier without dropping any names and protecting the kid before its official....it's one of the Houston kids who don't have the qualified statement in their bio...

i heard southern has a black kicker thats suppose to be walking on. has anyone from the jaguar nation tell me if thats true? i hear he is pretty good

A walk-on from St Amant Luther Nash (doesn't know position) SU gonna be a beast this year whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa This year's team gonna be better than's last year. :nod:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Jag-BR said:
A walk-on from St Amant Luther Nash (doesn't know position) SU gonna be a beast this year whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa This year's team gonna be better than's last year. :nod:

Luther Nash is a WR...I doubt he'll see PT this season because of the depth... but he's a good one...now...2006 ..we'll lose Vernon, Overstreet and Bryant..but we'll still have Landry, Rogers Taylor and Junior Joseph to solidify the WR corps

Journalist said:
Luther Nash is a WR...I doubt he'll see PT this season because of the depth... but he's a good one...now...2006 ..we'll lose Vernon, Overstreet and Bryant..but we'll still have Landry, Rogers Taylor and Junior Joseph to solidify the WR corps
Thanks Journ. :nod:

JSU/99 said:
The RB out of Vicksburg(Larry Warner) may turn out to be a good one for SU. He's small(5'3, 165) but he's tough and slippery. He's a good fit for their offense.

Looks like Warner won't be coming to Southern after all. He decided to go the JUCO route in hopes of landing a scholarship to Mississippi State down the road.

JSU/99 said:
Looks like Warner won't be coming to Southern after all. He decided to go the JUCO route in hopes of landing a scholarship to Mississippi State down the road.
It's alright we loaded at RB's anyway.But thanks for the update. :nod:

Back