Shaq to re-sign; Eddie Jones out for J-Will?

Blacknbengal

Shaq to re-sign; Eddie Jones out for J-Will?

MIAMI (AP) - Shaquille O'Neal will soon sign a long-term contract to stay with the Miami Heat, a move that can hardly be considered a surprise.

Yet when the league's moratorium on signings formally expires Tuesday at noon EDT, the Heat could quickly find themselves in a barrage of other activity - including a trade that reportedly would send away veteran Eddie Jones and his $14.5 million salary.
Team owner Micky Arison said Monday that O'Neal's deal will become official "within a very short period" following the end of the moratorium, which was pushed back from July 22 to allow attorneys for the league and union to finish drafting a written version of the new six-year collective bargaining agreement.

The Heat are believed to be offering O'Neal a five-year deal worth around $125 million, although neither the team nor the 12-time All-Star center's representatives would comment Monday on financial specifics.

"I can assure you Shaquille will be in a Miami Heat uniform for a very long time," Arison told The Associated Press in a telephone interview from Italy.

It's unknown if O'Neal has formally opted out of the final year of his existing contract, one that would have paid him $30.6 million this coming season. Yet that move, whenever it happens, is merely a technicality that allows him to enter into a new deal.

"If Shaq stays in shape, I think he can be a great productive player for us for many, many years," Arison said.

The 7-foot-1, 327-pound O'Neal made an immediate impact during his first season with Miami, which acquired him in July 2004 from the Los Angeles Lakers in exchange for three players and a draft choice.

Read story

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Miami has been very busy this summer. With Shaq re-signed, trading E. Jones and (maybe) signing Finley and trading for A. Walker, they could look like this come October:

C Shaq
F Haslem
F A. Walker
G Finley
G Wade

That would be a nice lineup.

UAPB '97 said:
Miami has been very busy this summer. With Shaq re-signed, trading E. Jones and (maybe) signing Finley and trading for A. Walker, they could look like this come October:

C Shaq
F Haslem
F A. Walker
G Finley
G Wade

That would be a nice lineup.

:eek:

That's a d--m nice line up. :winkgrin:

UAPB '97 said:
C Shaq
F Haslem
F A. Walker
G Finley
G Wade
Can that line-up play together? Honestly, I thought that they should have traded Haslem. Haslem is good, but going up against taller PFs and he lose his effectiveness on offense. He still grab some rebounds on defense, but he's too short to interfere with the shooter's concentration.

Blacknbengal=Can that line-up play together? Honestly said:
They can play together. I think Walker & Finley are veteran enough to understand that WINNING is better than STARRING.

I don't think trading Haslem would net MIA a taller PF. Haslem is a good compliment for Shaq. They could still find a PF in the free agent market.

jag4life said:
Miami can't afford Finley.

If Finley gets cut, he will only get roughly $5 mil exception from any GOOD team. If Dallas trades Finley, he will get his $15.9 mil salary. Remember, Finley and Wade have the same agent, so if he gets cut, Miami might be his destination. Even without Finley, Miami would still have Posey (from the E. Jones trade).

My question is this:
Why would Miami go after "J-Dub, J-Will" or whatever else name he goes by? I can't see him being in Miami with his style of play. He doesnt fit in with the rest of the role players. Even coming off the bench.

blacknbengal said:
Why would Miami go after "J-Dub, J-Will" or whatever else name he goes by? I can't see him being in Miami with his style of play. He doesnt fit in with the rest of the role players. Even coming off the bench.
I agree. He may just be a throw-in to make the salaries match. Earl Watson took a lot of his minutes last season, especially late in games. Posey is a nice complimentary player when healthy. Wade would have to go back to the PG.

Heat make Shaq a $100 million man

Heat make Shaq a $100 million man

MIAMI (AP) - Shaquille O'Neal and the Miami Heat agreed Tuesday on a $100 million, five-year contract, one that presumably will keep the 12-time All-Star center playing past his 38th birthday.

The deal will be signed later Tuesday, said O'Neal's agent Perry Rogers.
"We wanted to make sure that Shaquille was being compensated well into his career," Rogers told The Associated Press. "We also wanted to make sure he was paid his value. And it was important the Heat had flexibility they need in the short-term to win a championship.

"It's about winning."

O'Neal was vacationing Tuesday and not immediately available for comment.

Earlier Tuesday, O'Neal opted out of the final year of his existing deal, one that would have paid him $30.6 million this coming season.

If this deal is back-loaded, the Heat will have even more room to sign the likes of Walker and Finley.

If I'm Riley Jones for White Chocolate and Posey is a no brainer. It would have been done yesterday. Posey was hurt most of last season, but he's a great defender and can also score if needed.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
UAPB '97 said:
If this deal is back-loaded, the Heat will have even more room to sign the likes of Walker and Finley.

Shaq wanted 30 mil/year. I doubt he allowed the contract to be backloaded to where he's making LESS than the 27mil he made last year.

AP Newsbreak: Heat, O'Neal agree on $100 million deal

AP Newsbreak: Heat, O'Neal agree on $100 million deal

By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer
August 2, 2005
MIAMI (AP) -- Shaquille O'Neal and the Miami Heat agreed Tuesday on a $100 million, five-year contract, one that presumably will keep the 12-time All-Star center playing past his 38th birthday.

The deal will be signed later Tuesday, said O'Neal's agent Perry Rogers.

``We wanted to make sure that Shaquille was being compensated well into his career,'' Rogers told The Associated Press. ``We also wanted to make sure he was paid his value. And it was important the Heat had flexibility they need in the short-term to win a championship.

Read the story

They signed a 350 lb, injury prone, 34 year old, undedicated role player to a 100 mil contract? Some people just dont know what to do with money.

The Heat will die a slow death. Just watch!

Jerry Buss is probably :lmao: at this news

jag4life said:
Shaq wanted 30 mil/year. I doubt he allowed the contract to be backloaded to where he's making LESS than the 27mil he made last year.
Most NBA contracts call for payments to escalate from year to year. He has taken a slight pay cut to help the team sign other players. Shaq may get $30 mil the last year of the contract. The same way KG took a pay cut from the Wolves.

Get Ready said:
They signed a 350 lb, injury prone, 34 year old, undedicated role player to a 100 mil contract? Some people just dont know what to do with money.

MAN YOU NEED TO STOP! SHAQ WAS THE DIFFERENCE IN MIAMI THIS PAST SEASON. HE WAS THE DIFFERENCE IN LA AND HE WAS THE DIFFERENCE IN ORLANDO. HE GETTING OLDER BUT HE IS STILL A GREAT PLAYER. D WADE IS A GREAT PLAYER ALSO AND THE TWO COMPLIMENTED EACHOTHER.

SHAQ DIESEL AND FLASH TOGETHER IS MORE THAN THEY ARE APART. :lecture:

THE HEAT GOT TO MANY PLAYER WHO NEED AND WONT THE BALL. :smh:

I'M SO GLAD J WILL IS GONE. HE DID PLAY ANY DEFENSE AT ALL. I FELL SORRY FOR THE HEAT. HATE TO SEE JAMES POSEY GO, BUT WE GET EDDIE THAT OK.

BOBBY JACKSON
EDDIE JONES
DAMON STOUDAMIRE (maybe)

Man the Heat is gotta be the favorite for the title if they stay healthy. The only problem the Heat had last year was that they didn't have a consistent 3rd scorer. Antoine Walker solves that problem. Walker played and shined in Dallas with a whole lot of talent, so he can co-exit. They should have been got rid of Eddie Jones. He my nig and all but Eddie is just too inconsistent. Jason Williams was making strides as a pg in Memphis, and i think that allows Wade to move to shooting guard, so he can just concentrate on scoring, or they could use Jason Williams in a trade to get a more ideal point guard. Either way it goes, this deal only makes the Heat better. It surely improves their bench, and that only spells trouble for the rest of the NBA.

SAME OLD G said:
The Heat will die a slow death. Just watch!

Jerry Buss is probably :lmao: at this news
What was that again So**y? Jerry Buss is probably what? That dude definitely dont want to see Shaq, Flash, Posey, Walker, and whoever next year. He's probably looking like alot of other people right now>>>>>>>>>>>> :what:

GR knows that Jerry Buss has tears in his eyes from laughter. Now GR knows that the Heat want to satisfy Shaq, but giving Shaq a 5 year deal is like throwing 2.5 years pay out the window.

Who is going to be the odd man out when they have to pay Wade?

Back