Secondary matters

MightyDog said:
All I can tell you is these receivers are outstanding, and they aren't just blowing off steam. It is time to turn these gold teeth recruits loose. These guys are not only cocky they can back it up. I will be surprise if we don't air it out this year. This one receiver about 6'3" (full upper and lower gold run like a Deer) can catch the wind. Nobody is worried about our offense, but I am waiting to see them do their thing.

Former big three when your players see these guys it will be like looking in a mirrow because they will have just as much gold.

:lol:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
http://www.al.com/aam/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/1123838298259430.xml&coll=1

Something to prove
Friday, August 12, 2005
By REGGIE BENSON
Times Sports Staff reggieb@htimes.com

A&M receiverssay they're ready for prime-time

They say their time has arrived, that they're ready to make a name for themselves.

Alabama A&M's wide receivers, a group of talented players who have underachieved, say they're ready to fulfill the immense potential Bulldog coaches have talked about over the years.

"It's all about performing on Saturday," said fifth-year senior Tim Robinson, who was moved to receiver last season after spending his first two seasons at quarterback. "Right now, we're doing pretty good. Everybody knows we're talented. Everybody knows we have the ability to make plays. We've just got to go out and do it."

That's where the problem lies.

A&M's receivers haven't done it.

Robinson, juniors Kevin Francis, Emanuel Edwards and Tedric Milton and sophomore Willie Pope - A&M's top five returning receivers - combined for only 71 catches and nine touchdowns last season. Francis, a junior from Miami, is considered the only proven player. He had 30 catches for 407 yards and five touchdowns a year ago.

"I've got a lot of confidence in the guys that I'm coaching," receivers coach David Arnsparger said. "They've got a lot of confidence in themselves. Everybody that's playing receiver right now has improved in various aspects in the way they play.

"They're ready to show what they can do."

Perhaps they could have shown it before now if not for A&M's unstable quarterback situation.

Under coach Anthony Jones, the Bulldogs have played two to three quarterbacks each of the last three seasons.

"That's the primary reason our receivers haven't played up to their potential," Jones said. "Right now, we look like we have some stability at quarterback. We have some talent at the receiver spot, and I'm hoping this is the year that our passing game will really start to show itself."

While A&M has a number of talented receivers, many of them are unproven.

Francis is the exception.

In two short years, Francis has 43 catches, while A&M's other four returning receivers have 50 between them.

"It's all about hard work," said Francis, who is 6-foot-1, but weighs only 169 pounds. "I want to be the best."

Pope (6-3, 210) and Robinson (6-1, 215) give the Bulldogs two big receivers with size, while Edwards and Milton have good speed and quickness.

Pope averaged almost 16 yards per catch last season, while Milton averaged almost 18 yards per catch in limited playing time.

Redshirt freshman Gerald Stockdale and sophomore Paul Kellum have also been impressive during preseason practice.

"Tim is an excellent football player," Arnsparger said. "Willie has had a great camp and is a lot smoother coming out of his breaks. Stockdale has a big frame and has a knack for catching balls away from him. And Paul Kellum has been a pleasant surprise."

Jones has been thrilled with their progress.

"Our receivers are playing good football," he said. "What we hope is through practice these guys will develop some confidence and that will take them through the season and they can be productive for us."

Back