SBN National Championship ... announcement

Jafus (Thinker)

PRESS RELEASE

960 PENN AVENUE ? SUITE 200 ? PITTSBURGH, PA 15222 ? (412) 456-4000 ? FAX (412) 456-4040

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Ty Miller
412-456-4036

Grambling and Hampton Share SBN National Championship

(Pittsburgh, PA ? December 16, 2005) ? For the first time in 32 years, two teams have captured the SBN Sports Black College National Football Championship in the same season. Hampton University will return as the reigning champs, but this year the Pirates will be sharing the throne with the Grambling State Tigers. Both teams posted 11-1 records, won their respective conference championships and were unbeaten in Black College competition. The Pirates also captured the MEAC crown and won an automatic bid to the playoffs while the Tigers won the SWAC?s western division and the conference championship game.

Hampton started the season as favorites to repeat as SBN National Champs and stayed in the number one position throughout the regular season. The Pirates reign at the top appeared to come to an end when they fell to Richmond in the 1-AA playoffs while Grambling captured the SWAC Championship with a 45-6 victory over Alabama A&M. However, when all the ballots were cast and returned from SBN?s national panel of pollsters, the two teams were deadlocked with 277 points apiece.

Voters gave the Tigers 15-first place votes, the Pirates 13-first place votes, and Tuskegee 2-first place votes. However, it was the total number of points with Grambling and Hampton each receiving 277 that split the national championship.

The historic co-champions, Hampton University and Grambling State University, will officially be crowned at the 32nd Annual SBN Sports Black College All-American Awards Banquet February 18, 2006 in Atlanta, Georgia. American Urban Radio Networks will also be honoring the 24-member All-American Team. The event will be hosted by actor/comedian, Michael Colyar, and special invited guests include Michael Strahan (NY Giants), Darnerian McCants (Philadelphia Eagles) and Bennie Anderson (Buffalo Bills). SBN Black College All-American honorary committee members scheduled to attend include, Doug Williams, Mel Blount, James Harris, L.C. Greenwood and Eddie Robinson, Jr.

The SBN Sports Network is a division of American Urban Radio Networks, the largest Black-owned radio network company in the country.

About American Urban Radio Networks

American Urban Radio Networks (AURN) is the only African-American owned radio network company in the United States. It is the largest network reaching Urban America. Through four programming networks and one promotion network, AURN reaches more African Americans than any other medium in America and produces more urban programming than all other broadcasting companies combined. AURN broadcasts news, entertainment, sports and information programming to more than 475 radio stations nationwide. With more than 300 weekly shows, AURN reaches 25 million weekly listeners. Our SPM Urban Network provides brands with national promotions and fully integrated marketing programs. AURN has offices in New York, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles and Washington, DC.

Black College Football Poll
12-16-05
Final

SCHOOL MASCOTS POINTS (#1 VOTES) RECORD

1. Grambling State* Tigers 277 (15) 11-1
1. Hampton* Pirates 277 (13) 11-1

2. Tuskegee Golden Tigers 229 (2) 11-1
3. South Carolina State Bulldogs 182 9-2
4. North Carolina Central Eagles 145 10-2
5. Alabama A&M Bulldogs 119 9-3
6. Albany State Rams 77 8-2
7. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats 71 7-4
8. Fort Valley State Wildcats 46 7-3
9. Delaware State Hornets 34 7-4
10. St. Augustine?s Falcons 26 8-2

* 2005 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!

Other Teams Receiving Votes:

SCHOOL MASCOTS POINTS
Winston Salem State Rams 18
Bowie State Bulldogs 13
Alcorn State Braves 11
Alabama State Hornets 8
Virginia State Trojans 8

If you have any inquiries, please contact:

Ty Miller, AURN Sports Director
Telephone: 1-800-456-4211, Extension 4036
Fax: (412) 456-4040
E-mail: sbnpoll@aurn.com

SBN Sports is a division of American Urban Radio Networks. AURN is the only African-American owned network radio company in the United States. It is the largest network reaching Urban America, with more than 25 million listeners each week. Now in its 32nd season, SBN Sports provides the most recognized national Black College Football Poll. American Urban Radio Networks broadcasts over 300 news, entertainment, sports and information programs weekly to more than 475 radio stations nationwide. AURN has offices in New York, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C.

GRAM4LIFE,

So, two people voted Grambling less than 2nd place? Interesting...

More than likely the two voters that voted Tuskegee #1.

... Tuskegee 2-first place votes. ...

----

BlacknBengal,

Why couldnt these two teams play for the crown?

Currently with Hampton participating in the post-season I-AA Playoffs and Grambling State participating in the post-season SWAC Championship Game, neither team would be eligible by NCAA Bylaws and Rules to participate in a second post-season game. NCAA Bylaws and Rules precludes teams from participating in two post-season events.

Jafus (Thinker) said:
BlacknBengal,

Currently with Hampton participating in the post-season I-AA Playoffs and Grambling State participating in the post-season SWAC Championship Game, neither team would be eligible by NCAA Bylaws and Rules to participate in a second post-season game. NCAA Bylaws and Rules precludes teams from participating in two post-season events.
OK.

Jafus (Thinker) said:
GRAM4LIFE,

----

Thats the main reason why the two diivision don't need to be mixed/lumped together.

Jafus (Thinker) said:
GRAM4LIFE,

----

Indeed...

Bullschit! If you get blown out in the last game of the season at home you don't deserve to share nothing. But if you are on the East Coast I guess you can do that.

CATMENDUE2 said:
Thats the main reason why the two diivision don't need to be mixed/lumped together.

I would assume if they voted Hampton second then if D2 wasnt in the poll they would have voted Hampton first and there would have still been a tie.

Congrats to both teams.

Venom Skywalker said:
I would assume if they voted Hampton second then if D2 wasnt in the poll they would have voted Hampton first and there would have still been a tie.

Congrats to both teams.

You know and I know thats rediculous. I got a feeeling I know who broke rank and they lost to TU and Grambling.:)

I still think that the SWAC and MEAC needs to dedicate the first week of the season for intra conference matchups. Start next year by seeding them according to how they ranked this year. I think the MEAC is short one team, but we could include TnState and seed them according to their overall record

I wouldn't make it a true home and home though... Instead the MEAC teams would have the home game one year and the SWAC woiuld host the next year. The teams may change from year to year because the pairings would always be based on the previous season finish. But it would allow the SWAC and MEAC to play "round robin" and develop some interesting matchups.

This might cause problems for current matchups like JSU/Hampton and JSU/TnState who already play each other.

(Somewhat Off Topic): I like the fact that JSU plays it's non-conference games at the start of the season. Makes it easier to schedule a better quality non-conference opponent.

MikeBigg said:
I still think that the SWAC and MEAC needs to dedicate the first week of the season for intra conference matchups. Start next year by seeding them according to how they ranked this year. I think the MEAC is short one team, but we could include TnState and seed them according to their overall record

I wouldn't make it a true home and home though... Instead the MEAC teams would have the home game one year and the SWAC woiuld host the next year. The teams may change from year to year because the pairings would always be based on the previous season finish. But it would allow the SWAC and MEAC to play "round robin" and develop some interesting matchups.

This might cause problems for current matchups like JSU/Hampton and JSU/TnState who already play each other.

(Somewhat Off Topic): I like the fact that JSU plays it's non-conference games at the start of the season. Makes it easier to schedule a better quality non-conference opponent.

:tup:

enswaclopedia said:
Bullschit! If you get blown out in the last game of the season at home you don't deserve to share nothing. But if you are on the East Coast I guess you can do that.

So you mean to tell me that since Hampton lost a playoff game at home that they don't deserve to be co-champions? You won a basically meaningless SCG and Hampton lost a NCAA 1-AA playoff game. I think that a share of the title is about right.

Back