saying Vince Young is ready for the NFL than Steve McNair was as a rookie isn't righ

Re: saying Vince Young is ready for the NFL than Steve McNair was as a rookie isn't

Dr. Mac said:
Good point about Billy Volek. He did do well.

But it circumstance I described bears out (losses, team not performing well), then the tendancy to rush him in will remain. And given the moves the Titan's owner has been making of late with McNair, if wouldn't surprise me if he exerts a lot of pressure on the club to get Young in there sooner than later.

I wish Young the best, but too many QB's careers have been started with improper development; and as a result, they don't do as well as they could have. I hope the Titans are true to their word and bring him around slowly. Too often, though, those end up being only empty promises.

Regards.

Bud Adams won't do that, remember he didn't do that with McNair when they brought him to the Oilers when they were still in Houston and playing in the Astrodome. He stood the course and saw how it developed and he will do the same this time.

Re: saying Vince Young is ready for the NFL than Steve McNair was as a rookie isn't

the band fan said:
think about it...McNair had the same national following and this was before the era of the internet......those media folks did everything they could to not legitimize McNair......folks said he couldn't play, etc. No one wanted to vouch for him until he put up numbers against Youngstown State while injured.

Akili Smith played in front of large crowds......wasn't NFL ready...Ryan Leaf..wasn't NFL ready....so what makes Vince "NFL ready" than McNair? Heath Shuler, played in front of 100K every week....where is he? Kerry Collins and Chad May were the other QBs in the draft and only Collins played faster because he was on a team with veterans but what else has he done?

we'll never know if McNair was ready to play from jump but he had a great career and if he had some weapons no telling how it could have ended. Tennessee passed Randy Moss up in 1997 for Kevin Dyson....no telling how history would've shaped up if they drafted him.

There are busts at every level... are you saying Vince will be a bust?

Oh yeah Kerry Collins (racist ass) made it to a Super Bowl too.

Fiyah said:
Bud Adams won't do that, remember he didn't do that with McNair when they brought him to the Oilers when they were still in Houston and playing in the Astrodome. He stood the course and saw how it developed and he will do the same this time.

No dispute that he did it then. However, I will note that he was leaving Houston and had the honeymoon period with Nashville working for him which gave him more time for McNair's development. He might not have that luxury now.

I hope you who feel that way are right and he does give Young time to develop before rushing him in. Time will tell.

Regards.

not saying he will be a bust but at the end of the day in the NFL it doesn't matter where you come from.

Suge said:
Are some of you serious? Are yall really going to compare being the QB at Texas with being the QB at Alcorn? I am not talking about talent of the players, I am talking about the talent that one plays with and across from, as well as the type of media attention that they receieve.

McNair playing in front of 60,000 in a few games does not compare to VY playing in front of that many and more every week. Not to mentian a TV audience of millions.

McNair having CNN follow him, is not the equivalent of VY not being able to blow his nose without it making sportscenter.

I am not saying that this will or will not make him a better QB. But to try and argue that McNair had to deal with as much scrutiny as a college player as VY has, is assanine to say the least.

I have to agree w/ you on this one. Being the QB at Texas in this era is nothing compared to being the QB at Alcorn during McNair's era. Vince had to deal with 1) Trying to beat OU 2) Trying to win the Big 12 3) Trying to win the Heisman and 4) Trying to win the National Championship. That is enough exposure and pressure for ANY QB. McNair didn't recieve 10% of that kind of exposure. The biggest exposure McNair had was performing well in the Senior Bowl against top talent.

You can't really start an argument of being the QB at Texas in the 2005-06 season versus being the QB at Alcorn in 1994.

I'm sure he won't be a bust.

Suge said:
Are some of you serious? Are yall really going to compare being the QB at Texas with being the QB at Alcorn? I am not talking about talent of the players, I am talking about the talent that one plays with and across from, as well as the type of media attention that they receieve.

McNair playing in front of 60,000 in a few games does not compare to VY playing in front of that many and more every week. Not to mentian a TV audience of millions.

McNair having CNN follow him, is not the equivalent of VY not being able to blow his nose without it making sportscenter.

I am not saying that this will or will not make him a better QB. But to try and argue that McNair had to deal with as much scrutiny as a college player as VY has, is assanine to say the least.

I don't think anybody is saying VY didn't have more media attention than McNair, but McNair certainly wasn't playing in front of your typical I-AA crowds and facing your typical I-AA media outlets. He was a real Heisman candidate from a small school and they all face more media attention than your average good player. But again, VY will be a very good QB if they do the same thing they did with McNair.

Da_Sperm said:
You can't really start an argument of being the QB at Texas in the 2005-06 season versus being the QB at Alcorn in 1994.

why not? both were under the microscope......both players had the weight of the university on their shoulders. However, McNair had the weight of the SWAC and the future of black QBs in this conference on his shoulders...Vince was going to be a pro regardless....

McNair did more with less just to get a look at QB.....for a SWAC QB to get top 3 in Heisman Voting in the age where media hype was only on TV, he overcame alot.

Mike said:
Man, you got to be outta yo mind. V.Y. is going to put on a show in Tennessee and I will be in Reliant stadium to see him embarrass the Texans for not taking him when they had the chance. I watched this guy play in High school and from that point on I was sold on the fact that he was going to be playing on Sundays.

Yall gon' learn. This dude is a legit QB. UT just set up the offense around him to shine. When he was in High school he got under center and he played out of the shotgun. Phatback and I watched in amazement at how strong of an arm he had and how he picked teams apart. Everyone that has ever critiqued him has had to back the helll up. Dude can adjust to anything that you put him in and he CAN read defenses.

Please don't pay attention to the Texans decisions. This is the same team that passed up on Reggie Bush and then in the next round passed up Lindell White only to take a runningback later down the line. These guys screwed up the draft and are trying to cover it up. They have been saying that no one has canceled their season tickets, but they fail to tell people that season ticket holders can not make thier final payment and be refunded all their money before the season. Even the 7,000 people on the waiting list is still speculation, because they have no way to gauge who wants to see this team play now. Houston is not feeling this team and I expect that to show very early in the season. Their first 6 games are going to be hard to win with a start from scratch team.

I aint hatin, I'm just statin!

You will see!

the band fan said:
why not? both were under the microscope......both players had the weight of the university on their shoulders. However, McNair had the weight of the SWAC and the future of black QBs in this conference on his shoulders...Vince was going to be a pro regardless....

McNair did more with less just to get a look at QB.....for a SWAC QB to get top 3 in Heisman Voting in the age where media hype was only on TV, he overcame alot.
I agree.

the band fan said:

Dude...it STILL ain't the same. Vince is FROM the largest city in the south and 4th largest in the U.S....PLUS he played for the largest university in the U.S...which just happens to be in the state of Texas. The only place he could have been under more media scrutiny is USC or Notre Dame.

jag4life said:
Dude...it STILL ain't the same. Vince is FROM the largest city in the south and 4th largest in the U.S....PLUS he played for the largest university in the U.S...which just happens to be in the state of Texas. The only place he could have been under more media scrutiny is USC or Notre Dame.

I was with you until you said UT had more media scrutiny. Vince earned his media attention this year no doubt...........but UT doesn't get the national media attention year in and year out like the NDs even when they are losing, the SEC schools and of course the Ohio States and Michigans. Those 2 schools are broadcasted in more homes nationally than UT is normally. No matter where I have lived (even my 10 years in Houston)I always have been able to see Ohio State on TV and not just the Michigan game either. Unless UT is winning....they don't get the national pub you might think. They might now since they finally won a Big 12 title and a National Championship.

JR said:
I was with you until you said UT had more media scrutiny. Vince earned his media attention this year no doubt...........but UT doesn't get the national media attention year in and year out like the NDs even when they are losing, the SEC schools and of course the Ohio States and Michigans. Those 2 schools are broadcasted in more homes nationally than UT is normally. No matter where I have lived (even my 10 years in Houston)I always have been able to see Ohio State on TV and not just the Michigan game either. Unless UT is winning....they don't get the national pub you might think. They might now since they finally won a Big 12 title and a National Championship.

I said the only way HE would have been under more media scrutiny was at those other schools. If VINCE YOUNG (not UT) were doing what he did at USC or Notre Dame it would have been a lot more media attention... otherwise not.

jag4life said:
I said the only way HE would have been under more media scrutiny was at those other schools. If VINCE YOUNG (not UT) were doing what he did at USC or Notre Dame it would have been a lot more media attention... otherwise not.

I agree.

McNair had more to deal with...bottom line....he represented an entire conference, entire division and again...did more than less.

Young would've had media spotlight regardless so he is used to it....McNair came out of the shadows and had to deal with how to handle a microphone in his face, how to deal with large crowds in addition to the gamees...

the band fan said:
McNair had more to deal with...bottom line....he represented an entire conference, entire division and again...did more than less.

Young would've had media spotlight regardless so he is used to it....McNair came out of the shadows and had to deal with how to handle a microphone in his face, how to deal with large crowds in addition to the gamees...

Dude you are not making any sense. McNair had the most media COVERAGE of any SWAC player before or since (except maybe Bruce with Katrina and his show), but the most ever for SWAC is no where near what Vince had.

...and McNair was never doubted or considered less than spectacular while he was at Alcorn, so he was under hardly ANY Scrutiny in college.

the band fan said:

Believe me, there were football fans in the US that had never heard of Steve McNair until LATE in the Heisman chase. People knew VY coming out of high school. They SURE knew of VY going into his senior season. Vince had to represent UT, which has more students than all SWAC schools put together.

You are right, McNair did more w/ less. However, McNair didn't face some of the top athletes at their position in the nation every week. Vince had MORE to lose. Had Vince lost a game to OU, A&M or even the Rose Bowl, his stock would have fell more so than McNair. McNair could have lost to any SWAC school and most people would not have even noticed or remembered.

Again, this is apples to oranges.

Vince would've been a pro at some position..look at Reggie McNeal

If McNair failed as a QB...who picks him up? Every game he was playing for a possible paycheck down the line

Young played in the age of the internet and more TV channels...was a star in high school and he even had a year to sit and observe....while McNair was thrown into the fire and the media came out of nowehere in huge droves....

McNair proved he can handle things thrown at him so he was just as prepared...

My questions is: Why entertain this mess? Just two weeks ago Vince was garbage sub-par at best. Now that he was selected before the California Kid, certainly he's the best now.

I suppose, I am one of those ten. I gave my NFL football season tickets up for the new MLS soccer season tickets and saved money.

I kind of like McClain. I am not one to immediately like sport's writers. But he is wrong in my opinion.

In my opinion McNair had better passing skills coming out of college, especially throwing the deep ball, than Young has. But we will see how good Young will be in the pros.

jag4life said:
JROCK,
I think they mean media scrutiny in a negative way while in college. There were a lot of Vince bashers in Texas. Most fans and media considered Reggie McNeal at A&M as a better player than Vince before Vince's first Rose Bowl in 2004-5.

Going into the 2005 season McNeal was considered the better QB. He can throw the ball, short, medium, and deep, well. Consider that Young played on the better team.

the band fan said:

Good Post.......

I remember the peice that was done nationally when McNair was a senior about plight of the "black quarterback." How soon do we forget. I believe that James "Shack" Hariis, Joe "Jefferson Street" Gilliam, Doug Williams, Warren Moon and Randall Cunningham were pioneers and laid foundation,built the house and Air McNair "kicked the damn door open." Then you had the flood of AA quarterbacks that we see today. Vince Young is standing on "big shoulders." Peace

Back