saying Vince Young is ready for the NFL than Steve McNair was as a rookie isn't righ

the band fan

Baseball Fan
Excerpt From John McClain's Houston Chronicle notebook
john.mcclain@chron.com

Young is far more advanced than McNair entering the NFL. McNair played at Alcorn State, where he wasn't accustomed to large crowds, media scrutiny or big-time talent on the other side of the ball.

Right there I don't believe that....McNair had it a little harder than Young so mentally he had an edge.

Last I remember, McNair damn near sold out every stadium he played in...yes it wasn't 80K but the crowds were there.

McNair never had media scrutiny? I remember the articles talking about his lack of competition was a reason he should not win the Heisman. That 1993 Sportsview article said his Heisman campaign was below par. McNair was on the cover of Sports Illustrated in 1994. McNair is the reason ESPN2 came on the air.

as for big time talent...McNair might've not seen NFL talent week-in and week out but he had NFL talent around him but that doesn't mean much....hell, he mad to do more to make up for lack of talent in some cases. I don't remember the Alcorn running back....I remember McNair running the ball.

Lastly, V-Young had a silver spoon in his mouth at UT...McNair received some treatment but it was nothing like UT. McNair's background made him tougher and more NFL ready. Plus, McNair had an NFL body while Young needs some more weight.

If McNair was all-world at Alcorn....imagine him at UT?

Young will have the same growing pains as McNair. He will only be as good as the talent around him though....hope he gets a bonafide wide receiver corps unlike McNair.

Re: saying Vince Young is ready for the NFL than Steve McNair was as a rookie isn't

the band fan said:
Excerpt From John McClain's Houston Chronicle notebook
john.mcclain@chron.com

Right there I don't believe that....McNair had it a little harder than Young so mentally he had an edge.

Last I remember, McNair damn near sold out every stadium he played in...yes it wasn't 80K but the crowds were there.

McNair never had media scrutiny? I remember the articles talking about his lack of competition was a reason he should not win the Heisman. That 1993 Sportsview article said his Heisman campaign was below par. McNair was on the cover of Sports Illustrated in 1994. McNair is the reason ESPN2 came on the air.

as for big time talent...McNair might've not seen NFL talent week-in and week out but he had NFL talent around him but that doesn't mean much....hell, he mad to do more to make up for lack of talent in some cases. I don't remember the Alcorn running back....I remember McNair running the ball.

Lastly, V-Young had a silver spoon in his mouth at UT...McNair received some treatment but it was nothing like UT. McNair's background made him tougher and more NFL ready. Plus, McNair had an NFL body while Young needs some more weight.

If McNair was all-world at Alcorn....imagine him at UT?

Young will have the same growing pains as McNair. He will only be as good as the talent around him though....hope he gets a bonafide wide receiver corps unlike McNair.

McNair was the best college Qb I had ever seen in my lifetime. Big school or small school. Mac had better mechanics than Vince has coming out and he also was a better athlete than Vince coming out. Mac left HS in Ms as the all-time leading interception leader on defense. Hence his recruitment to Fla.State as a DB since Charlie Ward was already there at Qb. I could only imagine if Bobby Bowden would have told Steve to come play Qb during that time at FSU. No telling what he might have done there. I wish the best for Vince, but I just got that feeling he is going to have a hard time in the NFL. We already know Fisher and Chow got over ruled by Reese to draft Vince.......so we will see how hard they are on him since they really wanted Leinart, who I think is going to flourish in Denny Green's system with those Pro Bowl WRs and Edge in the backfield. I see ole McClain is still writing those dumb arse comments in his articles. Nothing has change at the Chronicle I see. The only kid I feel worse for than Young is Mario Williams. That kid better average 15 sacks a year vs what Reggie Bush does over there in New Orleans or the Houston fans are going to really be on him even though it aint his fault, same for Young replacing a very popular McNair in Nashville. :nod:

Re: saying Vince Young is ready for the NFL than Steve McNair was as a rookie isn't

"McNair played at Alcorn State, where he wasn't accustomed to large crowds, media scrutiny"....RIGHT THERE SHOWS THIS GUY HAS NO CLUE.

McNair played in front of large crowds. I know because I was one of the over 60,000 fans jammed into Veterans Memorial Stadium in Jackson watching him dance, dart, and pass all over my Tigers. And news outlets from across the country were wondering who McNair was and interviewing him. This guy must not remember that McNair was a Heisman candidate and was on the cover of national magazines and had SI saying "Hand Him the Heisman." The bottom line is Young is NOT READY to step in now and neither was McNair, but McNair was more ready than Young because of his throwing motion and arm strength. Like JR said McNair was the best college Qb I had ever seen in my lifetime. Big school or small school.

You heard it from me first....Vince Young will be another Ryan Leif.

Makaho 2.0 said:

Bullshiet... totally different attitudes.

We will see.

Makaho 2.0 said:
We will see.

Honestly are you questioning Vince's attitude? I can see questioning his mechanics or ability to play in a pro-set, but attitude (Ryan Leaf's biggest issue)? Nawww

No media scrutiny? :lol: :emlaugh: what a joke!

I remember tuning in to CNN headline sports every Saturday because I knew that they were following Steve McNair and would show what he did.

JROCK,
I think they mean media scrutiny in a negative way while in college. There were a lot of Vince bashers in Texas. Most fans and media considered Reggie McNeal at A&M as a better player than Vince before Vince's first Rose Bowl in 2004-5.

Fellas,

This is simple:

Email John Mc Clain and give your comments to him about how his statements about McNair's tenure at Alcorn is not correct. Email him at john.mcclain@chron.com. He'll come back and address your comments and/or admit he was wrong. It's that simple. Will you do it? It's up to you. Ryan, you should know that better than anyone.

John McClain is good for that (admitting when he is wrong).

Makaho 2.0 said:

Man, you got to be outta yo mind. V.Y. is going to put on a show in Tennessee and I will be in Reliant stadium to see him embarrass the Texans for not taking him when they had the chance. I watched this guy play in High school and from that point on I was sold on the fact that he was going to be playing on Sundays.

Yall gon' learn. This dude is a legit QB. UT just set up the offense around him to shine. When he was in High school he got under center and he played out of the shotgun. Phatback and I watched in amazement at how strong of an arm he had and how he picked teams apart. Everyone that has ever critiqued him has had to back the helll up. Dude can adjust to anything that you put him in and he CAN read defenses.

Please don't pay attention to the Texans decisions. This is the same team that passed up on Reggie Bush and then in the next round passed up Lindell White only to take a runningback later down the line. These guys screwed up the draft and are trying to cover it up. They have been saying that no one has canceled their season tickets, but they fail to tell people that season ticket holders can not make thier final payment and be refunded all their money before the season. Even the 7,000 people on the waiting list is still speculation, because they have no way to gauge who wants to see this team play now. Houston is not feeling this team and I expect that to show very early in the season. Their first 6 games are going to be hard to win with a start from scratch team.

jag4life said:
John McClain is good for that (admitting when he is wrong).

Leading up to the draft, he was sold on thru his knowledge that the Texans were going to take Reggie Bush but when Vince made himself eligible, he was sold on thru his knowledge that the Texans were going to take VY and that it was a done deal. No matter what the Texans said or did, he said they were still going to take VY. Then he finally bit the bullet and said they were going to take Reggie Bush and it was a done deal but we all know what the outcome of that is. :lol:

He must have had some of Grannies Secret Tonic. :lecture:

Steve was one the most Gifted College QB I have seen in the last 15 years period. ! :lecture:

Mike said:
They have been saying that no one has canceled their season tickets...

That's not true. They said less than 10 people have. :lol:

Makaho 2.0 said:

I understand where Makaho is coming from and somewhat agree.

If McNair is traded, and he probably will be, there will be a rush to start Young as soon as possible. And that will lead to disaster (see Akali Smith with the Bengals). If this happens, Young might have an o.k. career, but he won't have the career that he could have. He's a talent, I give him credit, but he needs time to develop. If he's rushed, Nashville will make it Hashville for him and won't be patient. It's still a big step up from college to the pros and how talent is brought along, especially at QB, still weights heavily in a player's success. If it's rushed or not done right, the player will fail.

I'll make another prediction. The other wild card in Young's development will be the development of a quality running back to take some pressure off of him. If the other kid from USC (can't think of his name at the moment) can come along, that will help Young, and McNair for that matter. If not, the Titans will continue to not do much in the post-season if McNair is the QB, and Young's development will be slowed if he's it.

Regards.

HEY.................:idea:

McNair + 2 good recievers + Lewis/RB + a defense that will make a 2 touchdown lead stand = A GOOD SITUATION FOR McNAIR.

Go to B-More Steve.:nod:

C-LeB28 said:
That's not true. They said less than 10 people have. :lol:

Yeah, he did say that. But he hasn't seen what the real numbers are yet. The final payment have to be made in a minute and if they don't make the payment. The Texans have to start writing refund checks and open the tickets up to the unlikely 7K that are on the waiting list.

Dr. Mac said:
If McNair is traded, and he probably will be, there will be a rush to start young as soon as possible.

I guess you haven't been reading anything since the draft. The Titans say they will take the same approach with Vince as they did with McNair...he will sit for a while.

jag4life said:
I guess you haven't been reading anything since the draft. The Titans say they will take the same approach with Vince as they did with McNair...he will sit for a while.

I been reading......but don't I believe everything I read like some folks. A lot of teams say that, but then rush the player in, especially when the team starts doing bad.

If McNair is traded, any QB they bring in "to allow the new guy to come around slowly" is only a stopgap, and generally not a "quality" player. There are not too many good ones around who will be satisfied with keeping the seat warm until the new kid develops. Botttomline: the person and the team doesn't do well, and the owner and fans start pining for the 'franchise savior,' and they rush him in.

Time will tell.

Regards.

Mike said:
Man, you got to be outta yo mind. V.Y. is going to put on a show in Tennessee and I will be in Reliant stadium to see him embarrass the Texans for not taking him when they had the chance. I watched this guy play in High school and from that point on I was sold on the fact that he was going to be playing on Sundays.

Yall gon' learn. This dude is a legit QB. UT just set up the offense around him to shine. When he was in High school he got under center and he played out of the shotgun. Phatback and I watched in amazement at how strong of an arm he had and how he picked teams apart. Everyone that has ever critiqued him has had to back the helll up. Dude can adjust to anything that you put him in and he CAN read defenses.

Please don't pay attention to the Texans decisions. This is the same team that passed up on Reggie Bush and then in the next round passed up Lindell White only to take a runningback later down the line. These guys screwed up the draft and are trying to cover it up. They have been saying that no one has canceled their season tickets, but they fail to tell people that season ticket holders can not make thier final payment and be refunded all their money before the season. Even the 7,000 people on the waiting list is still speculation, because they have no way to gauge who wants to see this team play now. Houston is not feeling this team and I expect that to show very early in the season. Their first 6 games are going to be hard to win with a start from scratch team.

Mike, they don't know! VY is the next John Elway! The league thought Micheal Vick was lethal with his legs and arm! Wait till the league gets a dose of a 6'5 230 lb. QB running a 4.5 -40 with an arm that can throw on the run! He sees the whole field! VY can adapt to any situation! He loves a challenge! I'm a born and raised Houstonian! That will be one time in my life I will cheer for the opposing team! Houston screwed up and now they gotta face this clown twice a year!:smh:

Dr. Mac said:
I been reading......but don't I believe everything I read like some folks. A lot of teams say that, but then rush the player in, especially when the team starts doing bad.

If McNair is traded, any QB they bring in "to allow the new guy to come around slowly" is only a stopgap, and generally not a "quality" player. There are not to many good ones around who will be satisfied with keeping the seat warm until the new kid develops. .

They don't have to bring in another QB...Billy Volek filled in nicely for Steve the past 2 seasons whenever he missed a game.

jag4life said:
They don't have to bring in another QB...Billy Volek filled in nicely for Steve the past 2 seasons whenever he missed a game.

Good point about Billy Volek. He did do well.

But it circumstance I described bears out (losses, team not performing well), then the tendancy to rush him in will remain. And given the moves the Titan's owner has been making of late with McNair, if wouldn't surprise me if he exerts a lot of pressure on the club to get Young in there sooner than later.

I wish Young the best, but too many QB's careers have been started with improper development; and as a result, they don't do as well as they could have. I hope the Titans are true to their word and bring him around slowly. Too often, though, those end up being only empty promises.

Regards.

Are some of you serious? Are yall really going to compare being the QB at Texas with being the QB at Alcorn? I am not talking about talent of the players, I am talking about the talent that one plays with and across from, as well as the type of media attention that they receieve.

McNair playing in front of 60,000 in a few games does not compare to VY playing in front of that many and more every week. Not to mentian a TV audience of millions.

McNair having CNN follow him, is not the equivalent of VY not being able to blow his nose without it making sportscenter.

I am not saying that this will or will not make him a better QB. But to try and argue that McNair had to deal with as much scrutiny as a college player as VY has, is assanine to say the least.

think about it...McNair had the same national following and this was before the era of the internet......those media folks did everything they could to not legitimize McNair......folks said he couldn't play, etc. No one wanted to vouch for him until he put up numbers against Youngstown State while injured.

Akili Smith played in front of large crowds......wasn't NFL ready...Ryan Leaf..wasn't NFL ready....so what makes Vince "NFL ready" than McNair? Heath Shuler, played in front of 100K every week....where is he? Kerry Collins and Chad May were the other QBs in the draft and only Collins played faster because he was on a team with veterans but what else has he done?

we'll never know if McNair was ready to play from jump but he had a great career and if he had some weapons no telling how it could have ended. Tennessee passed Randy Moss up in 1997 for Kevin Dyson....no telling how history would've shaped up if they drafted him.

Back