Record setting 1st round for NFL draft (SEC fans step inside)

GSUperTiger

The "Icon" of BCF
I would have been greatly remiss if I did not mention that the incomparable Atlantic Coast Conference had a record 12 selections in the first round. Notice the breadth in that 6 of the 12 schools were represented.

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR><TD class=stathead bgColor=#3f591a colSpan=9>1st Round Picks: 2006</TD></TR><TR class=colhead><TD width="11%">PK(OVR)</TD><TD width="19%">TEAM</TD><TD width="30%">NAME</TD><TD width="5%">POS</TD><TD width="35%">SCHOOL</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>1(1)</TD><TD>Houston</TD><TD>MARIO WILLIAMS</TD><TD>DE</TD><TD>NORTH CAROLINA ST</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>2(2)</TD><TD>New Orleans</TD><TD>REGGIE BUSH</TD><TD>RB</TD><TD>USC</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>3(3)</TD><TD>Tennessee</TD><TD>VINCE YOUNG</TD><TD>QB</TD><TD>TEXAS</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>4(4)</TD><TD>NY Jets</TD><TD>D'BRICKASHAW FERGUSON</TD><TD>OT</TD><TD>VIRGINIA</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>5(5)</TD><TD>Green Bay</TD><TD>AJ HAWK</TD><TD>OLB</TD><TD>OHIO STATE</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>6(6)</TD><TD>San Francisco</TD><TD>VERNON DAVIS</TD><TD>TE</TD><TD>MARYLAND</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>7(7)</TD><TD>Oakland</TD><TD>MICHAEL HUFF</TD><TD>DC</TD><TD>TEXAS</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>8(8)</TD><TD>Buffalo</TD><TD>DONTE WHITNER</TD><TD>DS</TD><TD>OHIO STATE</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>9(9)</TD><TD>Detroit</TD><TD>ERNIE SIMS</TD><TD>OLB</TD><TD>FLORIDA STATE</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>10(10)</TD><TD>Arizona</TD><TD>MATT LEINART</TD><TD>QB</TD><TD>USC</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>11(11)</TD><TD>Denver</TD><TD>JAY CUTLER</TD><TD>QB</TD><TD>VANDERBILT</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>12(12)</TD><TD>Baltimore</TD><TD>HALOTI NGATA</TD><TD>DT</TD><TD>OREGON</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>13(13)</TD><TD>Cleveland</TD><TD>KAMERION WIMBLEY</TD><TD>DE</TD><TD>FLORIDA STATE</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>14(14)</TD><TD>Philadelphia</TD><TD>BRODRICK BUNKLEY</TD><TD>DT</TD><TD>FLORIDA STATE</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>15(15)</TD><TD>St. Louis</TD><TD>TYE HILL</TD><TD>DC</TD><TD>CLEMSON</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>16(16)</TD><TD>Miami</TD><TD>JASON ALLEN</TD><TD>DS</TD><TD>TENNESSEE</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>17(17)</TD><TD>Minnesota</TD><TD>CHAD GREENWAY</TD><TD>OLB</TD><TD>IOWA</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>18(18)</TD><TD>Dallas</TD><TD>BOBBY CARPENTER</TD><TD>OLB</TD><TD>OHIO STATE</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>19(19)</TD><TD>San Diego</TD><TD>ANTONIO CROMARTIE</TD><TD>DC</TD><TD>FLORIDA STATE</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>20(20)</TD><TD>Kansas City</TD><TD>TAMBA HALI</TD><TD>DE</TD><TD>PENN STATE</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>21(21)</TD><TD>New England</TD><TD>LAURENCE MARONEY</TD><TD>RB</TD><TD>MINNESOTA</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>22(22)</TD><TD>San Francisco</TD><TD>MANNY LAWSON</TD><TD>DE</TD><TD>NORTH CAROLINA ST</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>23(23)</TD><TD>Tampa Bay</TD><TD>DAVIN JOSEPH</TD><TD>OG</TD><TD>OKLAHOMA</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>24(24)</TD><TD>Cincinnati</TD><TD>JOHNATHAN JOSEPH</TD><TD>DC</TD><TD>SOUTH CAROLINA</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>25(25)</TD><TD>Pittsburgh</TD><TD>SANTONIO HOLMES</TD><TD>WR</TD><TD>OHIO STATE</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>26(26)</TD><TD>Buffalo</TD><TD>JOHN MCCARGO</TD><TD>DT</TD><TD>NORTH CAROLINA ST</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>27(27)</TD><TD>Carolina</TD><TD>DEANGELO WILLIAMS</TD><TD>RB</TD><TD>MEMPHIS</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>28(28)</TD><TD>Jacksonville</TD><TD>MARCEDES LEWIS</TD><TD>TE</TD><TD>UCLA</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>29(29)</TD><TD>NY Jets</TD><TD>NICK MANGOLD</TD><TD>OC</TD><TD>OHIO STATE</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>30(30)</TD><TD>Indianapolis</TD><TD>JOSEPH ADDAI</TD><TD>RB</TD><TD>LSU</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>31(31)</TD><TD>Seattle</TD><TD>KELLY JENNINGS</TD><TD>DC</TD><TD>MIAMI (FLA.)</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>32(32)</TD><TD>NY Giants</TD><TD>MATHIAS KIWANUKA</TD><TD>DE</TD><TD>BOSTON COLLEGE</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

GSUperTiger said:
Notice the breadth in that 6 of the 12 schools were represented.
Notice also that the north avenue trade school aint nowhere on that list. :smh:

btw, Utah!!!!!!!!!
:lol::lol::lol:

Thank your lucky stars for reaches pottna. A lot of people are still scratching their heads over McCargo, Kiwanuka, and to some degree Cromartie.

NICE

mighty hornet said:
Notice also that the north avenue trade school aint nowhere on that list. :smh:

btw, Utah!!!!!!!!!
:lol::lol::lol:

You shole is right MH..........you shole is right.

Hey GSUPE.........notice how my alma mater THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY had 5 first round picks. We just keep producing and just think, next years Buckeye Team will be even better than this years. Now that's the kind of stuff you brag about. Not none of that rambling yech stuff and holding the nut sack of the other conference schools players. A real school would carry the conference like Ohio State do for the Big 10 every year in the draft. I am sure those other ACC schools are like WTF is Yech adding to the conference. ~snicker~

SUPE, you know I couldn't resist. Blame it on MH....he got me going on it. LOL

Uhhh...but the highest profile player of the draft (despite being the #2 pick) came out of the Pac-10. :lol:

JR said:

Hey GSUPE.........notice how my alma mater THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY had 5 first round picks. We just keep producing and just think, next years Buckeye Team will be even better than this years. Now that's the kind of stuff you brag about. Not none of that rambling yech stuff and holding the nut sack of the other conference schools players. A real school would carry the conference like Ohio State do for the Big 10 every year in the draft. I am sure those other ACC schools are like WTF is Yech adding to the conference. ~snicker~

Actually...Miami and Boston College makes that seven ACC schools in the first round :topic:

so um, JR...will Road Warrior Animal's son start at LB next year. Word is he will.

All that "talent" and no championships to show for it......and look, FSU had to save you again.

Yup, but look at thier positions, almost NO skill position players. Mostly linemen and linebackers.

Journalist said:
Actually...Miami and Boston College makes that seven ACC schools in the first round :topic:

so um, JR...will Road Warrior Animal's son start at LB next year. Word is he will.

Yep, he is set to start next year. They are very high on him.

JR said:
Yep, he is set to start next year. They are very high on him.
:topic: so they gonna let him paint his face also and let him come to the field with spiked shoulder pads and the band plays "Iron Man" ...

Lewis..

actually, linebacker can be classified as a skill position nowadays on defense. Linebackers nowadays not only have to be stout in run support, but must also have good coverage skills in the passing game. Ohio State's linebacking corps was very, very good last season.

If you have a linebacker that can play the run and cover..that's one less substitution you have to make.

BTW: Keeping a 300-pound guy from crushing your QB is a skill also.

Journalist said:
:topic: so they gonna let him paint his face also and let him come to the field with spiked shoulder pads and the band plays "Iron Man" ...

Lewis..

actually, linebacker can be classified as a skill position nowadays on defense. Linebackers nowadays not only have to be stout in run support, but must also have good coverage skills in the passing game. Ohio State's linebacking corps was very, very good last season.

If you have a linebacker that can play the run and cover..that's one less substitution you have to make.

BTW: Keeping a 300-pound guy from crushing your QB is a skill also.

Every position requires some kinda skill, even offensive guard.
So let me reword it to make you happy, NO running backs, quarterbacks, Wide Recievers, Tight Ends. Nobody that touches the ball on the regular.

Lewis said:
Every position requires some kinda skill, even offensive guard.
So let me reword it to make you happy, NO running backs, quarterbacks, Wide Recievers, Tight Ends. Nobody that touches the ball on the regular.

Um..Vernon Davis from Maryland is a TE, and he's the only offensive skill player from the ACC taken in the first...

The dude from Clemson is gonna play corner, which is classified as a skill position on defense...just like Cromartie, Kelly Jennings

but, I'm happy you clarified
:smash:

Ohio State had about 8 of they're starting 11 go in the draft and still couldn't stop TX. I'm predicting a drop-off nationally for them next year. Of course they'll still rule that 2 team conference they play in.

JR said:

A real school -- huh? Those Go Blue boys in Ann Arbor carry the Big Ten. All those five picks out of The Ohio State show that the Big Ten ain't worth a damn. This is only the beginning for the ACC. The Ramblin Wreck, the eye and pride of the ACC, will bolster its status for years to come.

BIGCAT3000 said:
Ohio State had about 8 of they're starting 11 go in the draft and still couldn't stop TX. I'm predicting a drop-off nationally for them next year. Of course they'll still rule that 2 team conference they play in.

Ohio State had Texas beat. They lost that game more than Texas beat them. Tressel should have just let Troy Smith who was just coming back play the whole game.

BTW, Ohio State had 14 players drafted a few years ago and didn't drop off. So don't count on it. Most folks expect them to contend for a National Title next season. Also let's not even talk about that weak arse conference Texas played in last year. It sucked. You'll see how much of a drop off Ohio State will have when they beat the hell out of UT in Austin this Fall. Mr. Smith and Mr. Ginn will have their way. The offense will be hella this year. We reload on defense every year since we are a NFL factory. Not only do we get players drafted.....they don't end up being busts that often. That's why the NFL loves our players. Can't say that for the UT contingent.

GSUperTiger said:
A real school -- huh? Those Go Blue boys in Ann Arbor carry the Big Ten. All those five picks out of The Ohio State show that the Big Ten ain't worth a damn. This is only the beginning for the ACC. The Ramblin Wreck, the eye and pride of the ACC, will bolster its status for years to come.

Michigan carrying the Big 10? ROTLMAO. Last time I checked they have been getting their collective arses kicked by the Buckeyes since Tressel arrived in Columbus. So much so that Michigan alums are getting restless over there with Lloyd Carr. Heck even when they could beat us, we still carried the Big 10 banner...especially in producing legit NFL talent. Only Katzenmoyer has been a bust in the NFL recently. I don't count Clarett because his dumb arse didn't stay long enough to be groomed for the NFL. But just look at NFL rosters and you see more OSU players than Michigan. Their players have notoriously sucked in the NFL.

Now back to the rambling yech.......what players did you get drafted in the 1st round? I can't hear you!!!!!!!!!!! I mean not only is Tech a second thought in the ACC, you are a second thought in Ga behind UGA. ~snicker~

JR said:
I mean not only is Tech a second thought in the ACC, you are a second thought in Ga behind UGA. ~snicker~
L, even in Atlanta, Yech is a second thought behind UGA. A very distant second thought!
:smh:

:lol::lol:

MH, GaTech is ATL. We are at the center of everything that makes ATL turn. With 1/3 of the alums that UGA has, we can raise 3Xs the amount of money that they can. We don't lower our standards just to win and UGA still struggles with us. Also, GaTech is the most powerful force in ACC. We were force behind what changed the landscape of College football forever because our President wanted the college of his heart (VaTech) in the ACC and made it happen. We are now the most powerful and most technological conference in the nation.

mighty hornet said:
L, even in Atlanta, Yech is a second thought behind UGA. A very distant second thought!
:smh:

:lol::lol:

LOL @ MH..........Uh oh watchout ....TP has come to help his fellow dillusional Tech alum out.:lol:

O lord......here we go. These dayum Yech' with their technology talk. It is just like a bunch of star wars geeks and chat room nerds to start talking about raising money and making excuses for sucking by bringing up admission standards when the rest of us are talking about football.

Back