Real Faculty Tenure Doesn't Exist at 2 Louisiana Institutions

jsupop33

Loyalty & Respect
AAUP Report Says Real Faculty Tenure Doesn't Exist at 2 Louisiana Institutions

By Audrey Williams June

Administrators at Northwestern State University and Southeastern Louisiana University demonstrated a deep disregard for tenure when they cut academic programs and eliminated the jobs of tenured professors last year, the American Association of University Professors says in a report it is issuing today.

Neither Louisiana institution, the report says, adhered to the association's principles of academic freedom and tenure as they discontinued a total of about 30 academic programs and terminated at least 20 tenured professors associated with them at the end of the 2010-11 academic year. The cuts were part of a larger plan developed by the Louisiana Board of Regents designed to get rid of inefficient programs as a way to save money in advance of projected budget reductions.

The AAUP's report says the association has no evidence that faculty members at Northwestern State were given a chance to discuss with administrators whether alternatives to terminating 16 faculty members had been pursued. Faculty members also were largely shut out of the committee that selected programs to cut, and they played a minimal role in identifying which faculty positions would be affected, the report says. The association also said it was "deeply concerned" that Northwestern State wasn't able to find new jobs for the fired faculty members that would let them maintain their tenure status, as the system's policy says it allows when programs are discontinued. Instead, the institution retained some of the tenured professors to continue teaching their courses but as lower-paid non-tenure-track faculty.

"The Northwestern State University administration showed utter disregard for tenure in virtually every aspect" of the process to discontinue academic programs, the report says. "Without a strong tenure system and chief administrative officers who respect it, academic freedom at the institution remains insecure."

The association's criticisms of Southeastern Louisiana, where the undergraduate French and French-education majors were cut and three tenured professors were terminated, were essentially the same.

Randy Moffett, the president of the University of Louisiana system, said in a written statement that the AAUP's report—which he called "deeply flawed"—focuses on the association's principles, which are not the same as the rules and policies under which the system's nine universities operate. The program cuts and terminations were "carefully vetted" by the system's Board of Supervisors, staff, and legal counsel, the statement said, and there were "documented instances" of faculty feedback and transparency on the issue.

I never understood the need for tenure in the first place.

To me, it would seem to encourage mediocrity and inefficiency.

People should be paid based on the need for what they do and how they perform. Not because they've been there for a certain period of time.

Those two institutions determined that these people were not needed and got rid of them. That's what any normal business would do.

I'm sure that's frightening to people who have gotten used to being paid for existing, but welcome to the real world.

Jagfan,
I understand both sides of the issue. I do believe on one hand it makes people lazy and incompetent on the other hand I think it protects people from being fired political esque reasons. There was a Professor at University of Virginia who was one the world's leading researchers on Climate change and along comes an Attorney General who disagrees with Climate Change and starts demanding his research be turned over to the State and that he gets investigated for wasting state money on fraudulent research.

I know folks who teach at University of Alabama at Huntsville, and they tell me they would love to speak out like some of our folks at AAMU, but they know they would be blacked balled if they say anything negative in the press about the school or President of the university.

I know folks who teach at University of Alabama at Huntsville, and they tell me they would love to speak out like some of our folks at AAMU, but they know they would be blacked balled if they say anything negative in the press about the school or President of the university.

Yeah, Tenure supposedly protects academic freedom but doesn't always work out that way.

People should be paid based on the need for what they do and how they perform. Not because they've been there for a certain period of time.

Those two institutions determined that these people were not needed and got rid of them. That's what any normal business would do.

I'm sure that's frightening to people who have gotten used to being paid for existing, but welcome to the real world.

This is exactly why alot of administrators believe tenure should not exist. There is research that supports the idea that once professors achieve tenure they are no longer performing at their best. In addition, since there is no longer a mandatory retirement age, a lot of institutions have to pay tenured professors beyond the timeframe that they had hope to do so. This causes a lag in being able to hire younger, more engergized professors who would bring new approaches, methods, and ideas to an institution. There is a strong push to alleviate tenure track positions because of a lot of the things you pointed out. However, AAUP would scream bloody murder if that happened.

Lets be honest, the Universities would lose thousands of professors in the Engineering and Science fields if they end tenure. Why would they stay at a school making 30-40k less when they can come to the industry and make three times as much..... Go ahead an open those cans of worms up if they wanna.....

Lets be honest, the Universities would lose thousands of professors in the Engineering and Science fields if they end tenure. Why would they stay at a school making 30-40k less when they can come to the industry and make three times as much..... Go ahead an open those cans of worms up if they wanna.....

You are right. It won't go away, but there is a group of people and a body of research that supports tenure being eliminated. Hey I am an academic so I support tenure. That is future job security and higher pay for me lol

Last edited:
Yes and it really is not about the length of time you have been in your position at all - different institutions have different tenure track processes, but most consist of the number of articles and publications that you produce, grants/research dollars you bring in, doctoral students you through dissertation defenses, etc. - it takes most people 5-6 years to achieve tenure

Another downside to tenure is that it allows some professors that have outlived their usefulness to stick around. There were a couple in my department that were there a good 5-10 years longer than they probably should have been. I had one professor that would pass our class up almost every day because he would forget where we were. However, he was supposed to be trusted to effectively deliver the material and assess our performance.

Tenure probably will never fully go away, but you may see less tenured positions in some schools. One upside to tenure at some of our schools is that it does encourage some to stay that could otherwise bolt for "better" academic jobs or non-academic jobs.

I wonder about you sometimes. :smh:

Back