~PVU vs Rice~

game pushed back to 8 p.m. due to an isolated shower that remained over the stadium - and I really mean isolated. We play loser of Arizona State and Baylor at 4 p.m.

I saw that.....he "stole" the catcher from us after the kid was damn near at PV.....I hear he turned down a full scholarship at a SWAC East school also......and those are rare as gold..Cador is now raiding Mississippi once again...lol....Texas got too hot for him...

serious question though....is Louisiana considered a baseball state? SU doesn't have that many folks on the roster from there..the few they have seem to all come from Baton Rouge and can play but that's been it.

There is a player in the Clear Lake area that if quickly becoming a serious baseball prospect. He already was being recruited heavily for football (Big 10, 12, etc)..then he decided to pick up a baseball glove. I think he is set on playing for a D1A though.

since ive been in louisiana i havent seen to many blacks playing baseball even at the youth ages. it seems that these kids start playing in high school, when their school just needs to make a team. I think thats why Grambling is so sorry. you can tell the majority of PV players know the fundementals of Baseball. that helps when your trying to win... in the beggining of the game rice tested the catcher knowlege and skills, but quickly saw that he has been playing for a while and that he was not just started playing in hs.

jag4life said:
There is a player in the Clear Lake area that if quickly becoming a serious baseball prospect. He already was being recruited heavily for football (Big 10, 12, etc)..then he decided to pick up a baseball glove. I think he is set on playing for a D1A though.
Unless I'm misinterpreting that last sentence, you do realize that we play D1A baseball, don't you????

Robber said:
Unless I'm misinterpreting that last sentence, you do realize that we play D1A baseball, don't you????

Both of you are wrong. We play division 1 baseball as we do in all other sports except football. (we compete in D1-AA in football)

stroke said:
since ive been in louisiana i havent seen to many blacks playing baseball even at the youth ages. it seems that these kids start playing in high school, when their school just needs to make a team. I think thats why Grambling is so sorry. you can tell the majority of PV players know the fundementals of Baseball. that helps when your trying to win... in the beggining of the game rice tested the catcher knowlege and skills, but quickly saw that he has been playing for a while and that he was not just started playing in hs.

Maybe the Louisiana folks can correct me on this. There was a time not too long ago that Black kids in Louisiana played a lot of baseball before high school.

Robber said:

Football...lol. I figured it would be understood. He wants to go to a D1A football school and play both.

EB said:
Maybe the Louisiana folks can correct me on this. There was a time not too long ago that Black kids in Louisiana played a lot of baseball before high school.

Still do depending on the city.

the Clear Lake catcher has been on the radar for a few years.....don't think he's serious about a HBCU though as of now....

kids like that you got to recruit now heavily if you expect play ball at a high level consistently...

Rice vs. Prairie View Postgame Quotes

2006 NCAA Baseball Houston Regional Game 1 Postgame Quotes

Rice Head Coach Wayne Graham

"I thought Prairie View played a great game. I don't think it was anything bad that we did that made the game close. I just thought they showed outstanding talent, they played well, the coach coached well, and we were very fortunate to win that game."

"We may have been pressing a little at the plate (early), but hitting comes and goes and we hit some balls hard. They caught a bad break with the interference (call in the top of the eighth). There were breaks both ways. It was just a heck of a ball game and we were fortunate to win."

On the Rice Bull Pen:

"There's no question that Bobby (Bell) and (Bryce) Cox threw great baseball. (The bull pen) is the reason we've been able to come back so many times this year. We feel like they can shut them down, and we feel like we have the capacity to come back."

On Rice Pitcher Bobby Bell:

"He is going to make his pitches. He's not going to let any situation intimidate him. He's just going to make his pitches. You want a cold-blooded executioner out there."

Rice Leftfielder Aaron Luna (on game-tying home run in the bottom of the eighth)
"I had a couple of bad at bats during the first part of the game. He seemed like he was keeping the change-up down and everyone was coming in saying see the change-up high. That's what he threw me and that's what I hit."

Rice Relief Pitcher Bobby Bell (on the base stealing of Prairie View)

"You have to stay on top of your game, because obviously stealing bases is a big part of their game and a big part of their offense. The main thing to keep in mind is when they are running on those bases, you've got to focus on who you're playing, you've got to focus on what pitches you're throwing."

Prairie View A&M Head Coach Michael Robinson

"This was one tough way to loss a ballgame. It didn't surprise me the way that our team went out and played. I thought that the key to the game was to get our starting pitcher Wrandal Taylor into a rhythm. I knew it was going to be a difficult task to pitch to this Rice lineup because they can hit the ball from 1 to 9 in the batting order, but Wrandal was able to make some key adjustments whene we needed him to. We felt really good about him putting us into a position to win, but Rice is a team that comes on strong in the late innings."

On His Team's Strong Start:

"We did a great job of playing our game early and putting runners on-base with a lot of motion against their starter Craig Crow. He didn't look comfortable to me pitching with speedy runners on-base. I trusted in Arthur Christal to get a hold of one and sure enough he took it deep to put us up 5-1. I knew the ball had enough to get out of the park once it left his bat. He put a good swing on it."

On The Controversial Call in the Eighth:

"The key play was that critical call by the first base umpire in the eighth. I've been in the game a long time, but I believe interference is the home plate umpires call. The exact words he told me was that he purposely saw the guy run inside the baseline. I thought it was a bad call, but these umpires are well-trained. I thought that our guy was well inside the baseline. The umpires did a good job in my mind up until that point. That call really gave Rice the momentum."

On The Decision To Take Out Taylor After Six Innings:
"He was at 80 pitches, but it really wasn't about a pitch count at all. It was more about having a fresh lefty in Joshua Terrell, who was unhittable in the SWAC Tournament. That had been our pattern to success, and we didn't want to get away from that. We ask our starters to give us six or seven innings and our bullpen usually takes care of the rest. Terrell left the change-up high in the zone on the home run in the eighth."

Prairie View A&M P Wrandal Taylor

On Establishing the Prairie View Program In Its First NCAA Regional Game "I feel that our style of play can really distract other teams. Today was our opportunity to show the world that we can play that caliber of baseball in a tough environment against the No. 1 team in the nation and we just missed it by one run."

On Having to Regroup After A Tough Loss

"You just have to forget about it. We played good baseball today and lost by one run. You can't dwell on the loss too long. You have to have a short term memory in a tournament situation. We have to come back out tomorrow even hungrier than we were today."

Story

Is anyone watching Arizona St vs Baylor. Arizona St team looks.......:smh: The loser plays PV. :nod: :nod: Arizona St pitcher....... :slap: :slap:

stroke said:
since ive been in louisiana i havent seen to many blacks playing baseball even at the youth ages. it seems that these kids start playing in high school, when their school just needs to make a team. I think thats why Grambling is so sorry. you can tell the majority of PV players know the fundementals of Baseball.
Stroke, unfortunately, there aren't that many black kids playing baseball in Louisiana. My house is right next to a park in Lake Charles where little league baseball is played. Every year the number of players in the league (an all-black league) goes down. Sometimes it's a matter of kids losing interest but often times the leagues are so poorly managed that parents just say to hell with it and the kids never play baseball again. And you are right, black high school baseball coaches are then faced with begging kids to come out and play just so that they have enough to field a team. For the last few years two of the majority black high schools here (Washington-Marion and Lake Charles-Boston) have been getting pummeled on the field, losing games 35-0, 27-1, 30-2, 24-5 and the likes and finishing the years with records like 1-22 and 4-19. The only time they are able to win games is when they face each other and other black high schools from around the state (i.e. Capitol, Istrouma, Carroll, etc). Sadly enough, each school usually has 2-4 forfeits on the year as well. 20 years ago, when I was in high school (and I went to a high school that had majority white players and no more than 1 or 2 blacks on the team at one time) we couldn't touch Washington-Marion or Lake Charles-Boston. They would always beat us and we were pretty good. From what I understand, little league baseball in Lake Charles was big back then with black people. Now, you rarely see more than 20 people watching a game.

Anyhoot, since we're discussing Prarie View, I should point out that their shortstop, Michael Richard, is from Lake Charles. Michael transferred to PV from the University of Arkansas. He graduated from Barbe High, a majority white school here in the city some years ago but didnt like it up in Arkansas. I'm not sure if any of you would remember this but there was a little league team from Lake Charles that made it to the Little League World Series about 5years ago. There was one black kid on that team. He name was Mario and played so well in their first few games that he earned the moniker 'Super Mario' for his heroics. Well, Mario just graduated after helping lead his high school (Barbe) to the 5A state championship. He is going to be playing college baseball next year . . . at Prairie View, with Michael, his older brother.

Back