PV's Clem Daniels

Storm96

http://forwardtimes.com/sports.htm

By JOE BOOKER, Sports Editor

PVU Alumni President CLEM DANIELS played a big role in helping Prairie View win the 1958 National Championship. He was co-captain and a starting running back on that team coached by the legendary WILLIAM J. ?Billy? NICKS.

He was part of a backfield that included co-captain Calvin Scott and Archie Seals. All were named to the All-SWAC team in 1958. Scott was named to the All-American team.

?We had a lot of competition when I was at Prairie View,? said DANIELS. ?You could not afford to get hurt. If you got hurt, you may never get your job back,? DANIELS said. We played two different teams at different cities one weekend and won both games. The media thought it was a miss-print.

DANIELS is President of the Prairie View National Alumni Association. Leadership has been a part of him throughout his adult career. He graduated from Prairie View as a commissioned officer and served in the Army as a Lieutenant.

After leaving the Army he signed with the then Dallas Texans, but his career blossomed when he signed with AL DAVIS and the Oakland Raiders. He played seven years for the Raiders and led the team in rushing six straight years. He is the third all-time leading rusher (5,103 yards) in Raiders history.

Daniels has owned several businesses, he feels that students should prepare themselves to own their own business or get a job

?All Black folk can?t sing, dance, act or play professional sports,? said DANIELS. ?The overwhelming majority must prepare to own a business or go out and get a job.? Prairie View and other historically Black institutions must play a vital role in that endeavor,? said DANIELS who owns several businesses in Oakland.

Among all time Raiders rushing leaders

During DANIELS stint with the Raiders, he was the team?s leading rusher and pass receiver. He was also named to the Pro Bowl as a Raider.

?I would like to increase our membership,? said DANIELS when he was in Houston to attend Prairie View?s 130 Year Awards Banquet. ?We do this with numbers and money. If you have money, people in authority will listen to you.?

?If we have money we can hire any coach we want,? said DANIELS. ?We can hire the best coaches by supplementing their salary,? said DANIELS, who is a close friend of Hall of Fame baseball player JOE MORGAN, who also lives in Oakland where DANIELS still resides.

The 2006 National Convention will be held in Nassau. DANIELS will bring the 2007 convention back to Houston.

?It makes more sense to host the convention where you have over 20,000 graduates,? said DANIELS. ?We got to take advantage of those numbers.?

Like the majority of PVU graduates, DANIELS would like to see the football team compete for the conference championship. He is being more realistic. He knows that money will get you coaches like Southern?s PETE RICHARDSON or Hampton?s JOE TAYLOR.

When you have money, you can get those kinds of coaches,? DANIELS said. DANIELS has ideas on how to raise money. One of his projects is the National Alumni Convention Golf Tournament, which will be held in Friendswood, July 12.

With DANIELS running the ball as the National Alumni President, old grads feel that they are back on a level playing field.

I had the opportunity to have lunch with President Daniels two weeks ago.

Looks like PVAMUNAA and TSUNAA will be doing a few joint ventures soon! :tup:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
C-LeB28 said:

Let get'er done! :tup:

Also, I think that was a misprint in the article. The Nat'l Conv 2006 is being hosted by the JSC chapter of the PVAMU NAA (Clear Lake City). 2007 (from what I was told) will be co-hosted by several "local" chapters. :) Big Houston chapt, MCC chapt, PV Alumni Nurses chapt, and/or maybe even the local PV PV Alumni chapt. :)

PV and TSU have soooooooo much history together. :) PVU <b>is</b> TSU and TSU <b>is</b> PVU. TSU was founded in Houston because.... :read:

C-LeB28 said:

DO THE DAMN THING!!!!!

Panthro said:
Let get'er done! :tup:

Also, I think that was a misprint in the article. The Nat'l Conv 2006 is being hosted by the JSC chapter of the PVAMU NAA (Clear Lake City)

Nassau Bay is a real city. Most people just call that area Clear Lake though.

C-LeB28 said:

:tup: :tup: :tup:

Props to the other largest A&M school in America. Good things are always happening for the New Big Three.

Lewis said:

It's my understanding (from 2nd hand knowledge of someone who was closer to all of that stuff tha occurred back then) that a group of PV alumni/admins/professors tired greatly of dealing w/ the goup that was (is) the aTm board of idjits over a certain duration leading up to the 40s. So, they jetted to start ANOTHER school (w/ the same humble type beginnings as PVAMU) w/ <b>their own governing board</b>. Thusly, the "new" TSU and the segregated tx legislature provided the means ($$$$) for it's creation in the mid to late 40s(?).

The source that informed me (PV undergrad/TSU grad) did so w/out my inquiry due to the controversey w/ Slade. Some PVers were spouting off that it was none of PVers biz what occurs in 3rd ward and it was brought to everyone's attention what transpired in the 40s and why TSU is important to all of us. :) Even PVers. :)

Maybe someone from TSU, who is close to eldering alumni from that genre, can clarify. Based on the "mood" of segregation here, I wouldn't be surprised if that occurred. I think the mindset of blacks here @ that time was "we want our own just like you have your own." (SWC-SWAC; aTm board of regents/TSU board of regents; white law school/black law school @ TSU; et al)

Back