Preseason D1AA Football Polls

CATMENDUE2 said:
Dahill, you are correct about the dropped passes and correct about the coaching. Coaching won't be a negative this time around and the recievers that started last year game are hoping they can get playing time. Abney and Harris won't drop those passes, both these guys have the potenial to be all- conference receivers. Grambling will run this time, it took the coaching staff a while to understand the value of the WingT, I think the SU game got their attention. Sammie White is the last great Grambling receiver to actually play in that system and next to coach Rob and Doug Williams nobody knows it better, with a year under his belt and more responsibilty for the entire offense, watch for a reincarnation of OLE School Grambling. Having Bruce makes this even more exciting, because he is the best passer that Grambling has had since Douglas Williams. Grambling grew up at the end of last year, in all phrases, this time around its going to fun, fun for Grambling usually means misery for eveybody else in the SWAC. The swagger is back and it won't be a matter of if Grambling going to win, the question is gonna be, by how much are they gonna win by. :uzi: :lol:
If you're talking about the BC the real question is GSU gonna lose but HOW many TD's will they lose by?..........3 or 4 :lol:

CATMENDUE2 said:
Grambling grew up at the end of last year, in all phrases, this time around its going to fun, fun for Grambling usually means misery for eveybody else in the SWAC. The swagger is back and it won't be a matter of if Grambling going to win, the question is gonna be, by how much are they gonna win by. :uzi: :lol:

I still dont understand the "Grambling grew up at the end of the season" thing... Are you saying this because you beat your in state rival, because your last 4 games of the season with the exception of the SU game werent NOTHING to write home about. Lets look back at the schedule...

1. You lost to JACKSON STATE by 11 points
2. You beat a Winless Texas SO by 18 points
3. You lose to Bama St by 14 points
4. You win against Savannah State (a team with no D1AA wins) by 5 points
5. You win the Bayou Classic by 11

I just dont see the "Grambling progress" at the end of the season. All I see is a Bayou Classic win and 2 small margin wins over winless teams. Keep in mind this is NOT smack, Im asking honest questions.

DAHILL said:
I still dont understand the "Grambling grew up at the end of the season" thing... Are you saying this because you beat your in state rival, because your last 4 games of the season with the exception of the SU game werent NOTHING to write home about. Lets look back at the schedule...

I just dont see the "Grambling progress" at the end of the season. All I see is a Bayou Classic win and 2 small margin wins over winless teams. Keep in mind this is NOT smack, Im asking honest questions.
:shame: and they expect to be on a ball this year.

DAHILL said:

Good valid points...even the one a couple of posts back where you mentioned that GSU failed to utilize the running game against A&M, receivers dropping passes, and the way Landers hung tough against the unrelenting A&M blitz. But the best point you made is that this can be attributed to coaching. Let's be real... Coach Spears cfuked up! Not only in the A&M game but also in several others by emphasizing the pass over the run.

Hopefully that's in the past. All last season, I disagreed with Coach Spear's penchant for relying so much on the passing game. The experience on our team wasn't at the wide receiver and qb position...the focal point should have been the offensive line and running game. Ab Kuaan, Ruben Mayes, and Terrion Rogers are all hard nose runners...in Kuaan case, he can also juke and scoot when necessary. Unfortunately, Spears opted to go for the quick strike in the passing game.

But before this comes across as me second quessing Spear's knowledge of the game, let me say that I understand the logic behind his play calling. Make no mistake about it...the man understands the passing game. He knows coverages and recognizes the gaps in a defense. However, I don't think he did a good job of utilizing last year's team personnel. Some of it might have been due to a "stubborness" that all good coaches have. Some coaches become "married" to a certain style and refuse to change. A part of the refusal is due to their belief that it will work and a part of it is due to them "proving a point" to the sideline coaches and Monday morning quarterbacks.

All last season, Coach Spears (in my opinion) wanted to prove himself as being "the" coach and that "his" system would work. I think he actually tried to become a run oriented coach...but he had so much of a "comfort" zone with the quick strike passing game that he always reverted back. Against Pine Bluff and Bama State, he opened up with the running game. Unfortunately, he didn't always "mix" the run calls effectively and/or he got impatient and went for the pass "cuz that was what the defense showed". Sometimes it worked but most times, Landers either misread the coverage or the receivers had crucial drops. The situation worsen when a defense that never jelled (coaching changes headed into the season with a new DC arriving just before the season) would give up big plays on third down due to blown assignments or bad signal calling...ie the blitz in the BC with 6 seconds to play before half that resulted in a cheap score (cheap in terms of it being a gimme against that type coverage).

A lengthy response on my part...but simply saying last year was a learning experience for the players and the staff.

MB, I saw the Bama State game and could not understand yall play selection in the 2nd half. Yall were in control of the game during the first half and resorted to a pass first offense in the 2nd half. Once yall fell behind, you had no other option but to pass.

I pick Ramblin coming out of the west this season. :nod2:

J C said:
MB, I saw the Bama State game and could not understand yall play selection in the 2nd half. Yall were in control of the game during the first half and resorted to a pass first offense in the 2nd half. Once yall fell behind, you had no other option but to pass.

I pick Ramblin coming out of the west this season. :nod2:
:lmao:Are you crazy?

No Street & Smith's DOES NOT send reporters to our campus'...... They get the a local writer to usually do the story.....

DAHILL said:

I just don't see it either.

SAME OLD G said:
Thats because you don't want to see it.
Please help me out then? I see progress in one game at the end of the season... thats about all,but barely beating Savannah State just a game before is a SETBACK not progress. Savannah State averaged 40 or 50 post losses.

Anonymous said:
No Street & Smith's DOES NOT send reporters to our campus'...... They get the a local writer to usually do the story.....

Thats exactly the point I was making. Now who reports for 1AA.org. Why then is there such a difference in opinions and why does all the polls have the same HBCU's ranked, because 1AA.org polls consist of pollsters that don't recognize the SWAC and IVY league. Because of that SWAC teams loose in total point standings and then they fall in the polls, this is much like how they rank our conferences too. :nod2:

DAHILL said:
Please help me out then? I see progress in one game at the end of the season... thats about all,but barely beating Savannah State just a game before is a SETBACK not progress. Savannah State averaged 40 or 50 post losses.

the FACT OF THE MATTER, IS THAT YOU DID SEE PROGRESS AND SO DID WE. :wavey:

CATMENDUE2 said:
the FACT OF THE MATTER, IS THAT YOU DID SEE PROGRESS AND SO DID WE. :wavey:
No the matter of fact, is that we didn't see progress and you didn't either.

Jag-BR said:
No the matter of fact, is that we didn't see progress and you didn't either.

I think Dahill was addressing that to a Gman or lady. You need to concentrate on SU and STFU :wavey: Its apparent you don't know much at all about Grrambling and less about SU.

:lmao: :lmao:
DAHILL said:
so are you saying everybody who won their last game progressed?

Ask all the teams that lost there last game and I bet they can tell you. :whatever: what color am I :wavey: I lost my last 2 :lmao:

Jag-BR said:
Let's see I finished 3RD in the West and won the BC who am I.

We are Grambling, and you are Southern the team that cost the West the trophy too. Yall got smacked around too. :slap:

CATMENDUE2 said:
We are Grambling, and you are Southern the team that cost the West the trophy too. Yall got smacked around too. :slap:
I admit that we costed the West trophy, but this year we gonna take the trophy from em.

Back