Penn State considers going private

jsupop33

Loyalty & Respect
http://chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/p...vate/41443?sid=pm&utm_source=pm&utm_medium=en

After months of promising greater transparency, Pennsylvania State University trustees now say they see the appeal of possibly privatizing the institution, according to reports in two Pennsylvania newspapers, The Patriot News and The Morning Call. Karen Peetz, the board’s new chairwoman, said she met recently with the chairman of Cornell University’s board and found the Ivy League institution’s governance model—a private university with some public components—of “great interest.â€￾

Well, skip the transparency...let's just go private then keep things private like we want. Okay. Tuition will triple...

When you have alumni who give back and appreciate their school you can do this with no problem. When you have self centered, I forgot where I come from alumni, you have what we have.

Penn State, Pitt and Temple are not true state institutions - they are state related, quasi private.

Exactly! :tup: So, them moving to a private model is really not that difficult as they already have some pieces in place to support it. I've always said that Penn State has the best of "both worlds!" :nod: They have the benefits of the state along with private school tendencies.

A move to fully private will not save Penn State. Any postsecondary school receiving federal money is subject to the Clery Act Kendrick, which means they have to report crimes. If not, they will get hammered (again) by the U.S. Department of Education...

They will hide their crime rates better. Ask any one with east coast contacts and they will tell you Ivy leagues schools provide the neighborhood pharmaceuticals with plenty of income. They get high at them schools.......
A move to fully private will not save Penn State. Any postsecondary school receiving federal money is subject to the Clery Act Kendrick, which means they have to report crimes. If not, they will get hammered (again) by the U.S. Department of Education...

They will hide their crime rates better. Ask any one with east coast contacts and they will tell you Ivy leagues schools provide the neighborhood pharmaceuticals with plenty of income. They get high at them schools.......

umm, I posted an article about the Ivy league crime rates last year. They are not a secret. As Journalist said, any school receiving Federal funds will have to answer to the Feds. Funny thing is the HBCU's were fighting the Department tooth and nail about posting their crime rates online but in the end, were no the worst. Our biggest problem is perception.

Last edited:
umm, I posted an article about the Ivy league crime rates last year. They are not a secret. As Journalist said, any school receiving Federal funds will have to answer to the Feds. Funny thing is the HBCU's were fighting the Department tooth and nail about posting their crime rates online but in the end, were no the worst. Our biggest problem is perception.

The bigger schools always try to cover stuff up....I think Northern Iowa and Eastern Michigan got six-figure fines for covering up sexual assaults on campus under Clery....Virginia Tech got slapped with a half-million fine for violating Clery...The Feds don't play when it comes to this kind of thing...

Also...you can look at crime stats from all institutions reporting...you'd be surprised what goes on at the other schools. So much stuff that Spike TV has a Cops-like show based on campus police departments.

Back