Parents who are HBCU grads, but recommend against them to children?

FAMU and Bethune don't have solid nursing programs?

I don't know...but they weren't in the top 5 in the state nor the top 5 in the USA. UNF is, and that made the choice simple.

When I went to JSU in 1979 for Computer Science, it was in the Top 10 in the country. That was the first and most overwhelming criterion for me. Being an HBCU just made it a little more intriguing. The only reason that I had heard of Jackson State prior to then was that the Tigers lost to the Rattlers in football playoffs the previous fall when FAMU won the championship.

I had offers for full academic scholarships from more than 300 colleges and universities - including all of the Ivy League and every polytechnic in the country. When I got to Jackson, I knew I had made the right choice for me.

My dad went to Tenn State and so did alot of my Aunts and Uncles since we all stayed out there. He really did not want me to go there, even after I got scholarships from the school. I ended up going to Jackson State and I don't regret it AT ALL.

But he never wanted to keep me from going to any HBCU just TSU lol

My parents and a few aunts and uncles went to either MVSU or Jackson State. I wanted to go to school in Illinois or be in the Midwest. I really wanted to go to NIU, Illinois or Iowa because all those schools had solid journalism programs. They said look at JSU as well. I did.

Anyway, my folks told me hey, pick what school that you believe is the best fit. I got into NIU and Illinois and Iowa, but none of those schools offered what I was looking for in terms of progressing in journalism. I did not really care about the social aspect of collegiate lifestyle. So I chose JSU because I could take journalism classes earlier.

A few months before graduation my high school started posting in the administration office where all the seniors were going to college in the fall.

It was a way the school recognized the accomplishment of getting into college because our school had one of the lowest graduation rates in the city. I tell you I was never prouder when I, Kendrick, had his college destination displayed in the main office next to all the other students. I did not care if the school was a black one or a white one. I was just happy I was going to college.

I have always exposed HBCU's to my kids, especially SU and gave them the reasons why HBCU's were created, now i didn't force them to go to them but i encouraged them to. There is nothing wrong with people going else where but have you realized our HBCU's are not like they used to be because we aren't uplifting our own and passing on that pride to our kids? I feel if a child doesn't even have a HBCU on their list of choices then they weren't really exposed to HBCU's and that is sad if that's the case. One thing people do outside our race is expose their children to either their alma mater or other PWC's at an early age. Majority of the black community isn't doing that anymore and that's why we are losing the brightest students to PWC's. The white is right syndrome is very alive and well, sad but true. The same degree that's earned at Morgan State has the same value as a degree earned from LSU. :shame:

Last edited:
What do you guys think about these types of individuals?

When parent say things like that it means that they went their to learn what it means to be "black" and they wanted to see their "people" but when they graduated from their and start interacting with "whites" from the likes of UT (both of them), UM, MSU and "big boys" like Harvard they get "shame faced" because they believed that "black" was wrong and "white" was right and they spend the rest of their lives (maybe) blinded by those factors, from...my...observations :upset:!

Bottom line is black folks thank white is right. They thank sending their kids around white folks will make them better and get better jobs. They thank it will make them diverse. We are the only race trying to be in everyone else, yet other races ain't stutting us.

That's why we need to build ourselves up and become the competitors of the future. Also some of it ain't our fault because if "these walls could talk" then their would be a lot of tales of "blacks" who didn't get to show themselves because of all the lies and deceptions that have been done to us. Also I can telll you that I have been up against other university students and I can say that really did beat them out in a lot of areas and a lot of times they went around me because of school name. But one thing I must say is that school, NOW, is what you make of it....but you have to look at the fact that some schools have put more money into their particualr program so a lot of times that plays a factor trying to deal with a particular situation and that's all some people need to do their "dirty work" against you :lecture:.

I am not going to FORCE my son to attend to an HBCU just because I graduated from one. I would love for him to attend Southern University but it will be his choice..

Thank you. Sometimes I think a majority of these ppl type w/ no substance just to get an internet reaction. lol

My son is grad'ing HS in 2 mos and he'd already committed to play football and potentially bball/track w/ a PWCU Feb 2010. He's currently top 15% academic (which could vary slightly when the final rankings coming out in a few), he was a top 10 football prospect, and a top 15 prospect for his state in basketball. I don't know where he ranks in track(field) but if he keeps winning @ the 400m :emlaugh:, I'm sure he'll get a nod for that too while undergrad. I didn't force ANYTHING down his throat or his sister's other than suggesting to the 18 y/os that you do you and damn what every other buster :swink: thinks or says if you don't share DNA w/ them (ma/pa only). :swink: :clap: :bowdown: :tup: My eldest daughter's mom is a SWAC grad and both of us are elated she chose to share her talents @ Duke University while garnering the full academic ride. :) (non-athletic talent but very moreso academic & musically inclined)

Thank you. Sometimes I think a majority of these ppl type w/ no substance just to get an internet reaction. lol

My son is grad'ing HS in 2 mos and he'd already committed to play football and potentially bball/track w/ a PWCU Feb 2010. He's currently top 15% academic (which could vary slightly when the final rankings coming out in a few), he was a top 10 football prospect, and a top 15 prospect for his state in basketball. I don't know where he ranks in track(field) but if he keeps winning @ the 400m :emlaugh:, I'm sure he'll get a nod for that too while undergrad. I didn't force ANYTHING down his throat or his sister's other than suggesting to the 18 y/os that you do you and damn what every other buster :swink: thinks or says if you don't share DNA w/ them (ma/pa only). :swink: :clap: :bowdown: :tup: My eldest daughter's mom is a SWAC grad and both of us are elated she chose to share her talents @ Duke University while garnering the full academic ride. :) (non-athletic talent but very moreso academic & musically inclined)

:tup::tup::tup:

I'm amused at people who think wanting your child to get the best education available is believing "white is right".

:tup::tup::tup:

I'm amused at people who think wanting your child to get the best education available is believing "white is right".

Me too. I think it is funny. I wonder do my cousins who graduated from Illinois, Marquette and Michigan went to those schools because they thought white was right. They all went because they got more money from those schools to attend than other schools and they had their majors and all are doing well and have no hang ups about HBCUs just because they didn't go there. It is personal preference and if any of you force your children to go to your alma maters or any HBCU against their will. You are doing them a disservice.

I believe in exposing kids to ALL schools. Then tell them the pros and cons of any school whether it is a HBCU or PWC. Let them make an EDUCATED decision and not an Emotional one. I will expose mine to SU and other HBCUs but will not say you better go to one of those especially if they earn scholarships and such. Now if I got to pay, the choices will be more limited. LOL. Actually as a Navy vet, I hope a kid of mine will be more interested in going to Annapolis for school.:D

I guess I'm a little confused...b/c if we, HBCU graduates, don't see the need to have our own kids go to a HBCU over a non-HBCU then is there a need for HBCU's period?

I understand everyone has a choice...yes. But why can't we simply support our own especially when our own is just as good, if not better, than the others?!

Why not support our own?

I guess I'm a little confused...b/c if we, HBCU graduates, don't see the need to have our own kids go to a HBCU over a non-HBCU then is there a need for HBCU's period?

I understand everyone has a choice...yes. But why can't we simply support our own especially when our own is just as good, if not better, than the others?!

Why not support our own?

Now come on SS, you know self awareness and self pride is not what black folks are about. See, if you wanna have self pride and love what is yours and support what you feel is just as great or greater, black folks don't like that. See chasing other folks gold is great to some of us. Most of these folks if they are really honest with themselves feel as though going to an HBCU hindered them in the corporate world. They just want come out and say it, but in their hearts they feels as it did. See they can lie to you and I, but they can't lie to their hearts.

Why not support our own?

I think it all comes down to Major, opportunity, and MONEY. Now, I would love for my child to choose JSU, I would try my best to sell it to them. It all comes down to those three things. My dad attended JSU but never once even talked about me going there until they recruited me.

I think the field your child wants to work in plays a major role. I would push my kid towards JSU's school of business, Engineering, or Science department in a second. I would be neutral on a few others but there is a department or two at JSU that I would not encourage my child to go into unless significant improvements have been made.

I think it all comes down to Major, opportunity, and MONEY. Now, I would love for my child to choose JSU, I would try my best to sell it to them. It all comes down to those three things. My dad attended JSU but never once even talked about me going there until they recruited me.

I think the field your child wants to work in plays a major role. I would push my kid towards JSU's school of business, Engineering, or Science department in a second. I would be neutral on a few others but there is a department or two at JSU that I would not encourage my child to go into unless significant improvements have been made.

JSU is not the only HBCU and unless your child is going to MIT/other specialized schools...then there's a HBCU that can compete in most...if not every major.

As far as money...okay i can get with that a little but here's what I've noticed most times...if a student can apply to University of Illinois at Champagne/Urbana, then most times that same student can apply for scholarships at some of our HBCU's. That's not a knock on HBCU's/admission requirements b/c of the purpose of HBCU's. Also...most times out-of-state tuition is cheaper than in-state tuition for some of these schools.

You stated opportunity...NCA&T's school of engineering has partnerships with Fortune 500 companies, etc. So the opportunity is there for the student to be exposed to these companies and to obtain internships/jobs after graduation. Just as the School of Business at JSU does the same.

I just don't get it...:noidea:
Don't take my statements as a form of disrespect...b/c I respect anyone's right to choose any college they want. I just think it makes our fight that much harder as to why HBCU's are still needed...when we aren't even using them.

I am not going to FORCE my son to attend to an HBCU just because I graduated from one. I would love for him to attend Southern University but it will be his choice..

I was under the impression that the thread was less about forcing your kids to go to an HBCU and more about those parents who recommend against them. No one should be forced to do anything. But when you have an HBCU grad telling his/her child not to attend an HBCU, that wreaks of self-hate. I had a high school classmate who wanted to attend PV. His mother (a tsu grad) told him that she would not pay a dime of her money to a black school. So technically, she "forced" him to go to a PWC.

JSU is not the only HBCU and unless your child is going to MIT/other specialized schools...then there's a HBCU that can compete in most...if not every major.

As far as money...okay i can get with that a little but here's what I've noticed most times...if a student can apply to University of Illinois at Champagne/Urbana, then most times that same student can apply for scholarships at some of our HBCU's. That's not a knock on HBCU's/admission requirements b/c of the purpose of HBCU's. Also...most times out-of-state tuition is cheaper than in-state tuition for some of these schools.

I just don't get it...:noidea:
Don't take my statements as a form of disrespect...b/c I respect anyone's right to choose any college they want. I just think it makes our fight that much harder as to why HBCU's are still needed...when we aren't even using them.

SS,
I will give you an example from my grad school decision. I applied to Howard's Public Administration and George Mason's Public Policy program. I was semi-leaning towards Howard but

1)George Mason's program was designed for career people with all of their classes were at night, Howard only offered a few courses at night according to my convos with staff.

2) Howard did not send me an acceptance letter till two days before classes started. :shame:

There are some things that influence decisions.

I was under the impression that the thread was less about forcing your kids to go to an HBCU and more about those parents who recommend against them. No one should be forced to do anything. But when you have an HBCU grad telling his/her child not to attend an HBCU, that wreaks of self-hate. I had a high school classmate who wanted to attend PV. His mother (a tsu grad) told him that she would not pay a dime of her money to a black school. So technically, she "forced" him to go to a PWC.

oh yeah, If my son goes to Southern, I won't pay one red cent.

SS,
I will give you an example from my grad school decision. I applied to Howard's Public Administration and George Mason's Public Policy program. I was semi-leaning towards Howard but

1)George Mason's program was designed for career people with all of their classes were at night, Howard only offered a few courses at night according to my convos with staff.

2) Howard did not send me an acceptance letter till two days before classes started. :shame:

I'm talking about undergrad...grad is different especially when you're not going full time.

You are correct, but it seems the problem comes when some people take experiences at one HBCU and then apply blanket generalizations to ALL HBCUs. HBCUs are rarely given the opportunity to stand individually. You let a scandal break out at tsu....suddenly some of "us" jump on the "thats whats wrong with those black schools" bandwagon. A tsu problem becomes a "black school" problem.

oh yeah, If my son goes to Southern, I won't pay one red cent.

:emlaugh: Damn. lol :lol:

For the 1st few years of my eldest's life, her mom and I would literally ARGUE over which of our undergrad alumni she'd attend. I'm talking to the point where we'd literally curse @ each other for a few moments as it would get really heated. I wanted her back in Tx for undergrad where she'd then do La for grad school and she wanted her back in La for undergrad and then would do Tx for grad school. After she started playing the violin, cello, and a whole lotta' other stuff I cannot pronounce pre-teen :emlaugh:, I detected her interests peaking in certain PWCUs on the east coast. She applied to PV and GSU along w/ numerous others and put the fvck on both of us by garnering a rull-ride to Duke. I stayed quiet about the deal for a whoooooooooooooole yr or so until I learned to finally accept that her life is her life and I dare not tell a grownup what to do w/ their person. The very thing I preached to her and her lil' brother through life is what she (and even he) was doing to me and her mom: fvck what anyone else thinks, you're here for you and you alone so damned the rest. I had to respect her decision just like I recently respected jr's decision to sign w/ a PWCU as well. I wish them nothing but the best and will support them fully.

I think it's one thing to talk about stuff like this early on and have that fire about your thoughts. But when that time and day arrives, it convicts you like crazy. (truth of reality)

Back